Garmin Zumo 660 - Coming Soon!

gsbiker

Reaction score
The Zumo 660 will be released 1st quarter of 2009 (Jan-Mar). Looks like they are now providing motorcycles with the same features found only on car sat navs until now - lane assist etc. I for one will be very interested in this gadget which will be the best bike sat nav on the market at this time.

Zumo660.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000#featureTab

That is indeed a lovely device. I have just bought a nuvi 255, which is slightly annoying, as the 660 is doubtless much better suited, but that means that I can hapily wait until the 660 has its first price drop (if, that is, it has one).

What the Zumo 660 has that the 550 doesn't?

Zumo 660 / Zumo 550

WQVGA screen / QVGA screen
9.5 ounces / 10.6
5 hours battery life / 4
MicroSD card / SD
1000 ways points / 500
10 routes / 50
Internal speaker
Lane Assist
3-D buildings view
Stereo Bluetooth / Mono
No XM navtraffic
Speed Limit Indicator
Where Am I?
Qwerty Keyboard
Garmin Garage
Photo Navigator
World Travel Clock

One downside that I can see is that it's all touchscreen with no external buttons.

Zumo 660 / Zumo 550

WQVGA screen / QVGA screen
9.5 ounces / 10.6
5 hours battery life / 4
MicroSD card / SD
1000 ways points / 500
10 routes / 50
Internal speaker
Lane Assist
3-D buildings view
Stereo Bluetooth / Mono
No XM navtraffic
Speed Limit Indicator
Where Am I?
Qwerty Keyboard
Garmin Garage
Photo Navigator
World Travel Clock

One downside that I can see is that it's all touchscreen with no external buttons.

I don't understand most of that mumble jumble but none of the "improvements" seem to have real day to day value :nenau

I am sure I will get one once I see it :D

That would be a bit of an oversight for motorcyclists wouldnt it? Unless it's been implemented in a very clever way.

The real (only?) improvement is that the 660 will show a MUCH more detaild map. Gives a better overview. Very important for those of us who rides on smaller roads in rural areas.

Just like the old 2610 GPS then. No buttons. No problem.

Have been resisting buying the Zumo 550 for a number of reason including the lack of lane assist, lack of qwerty keyboard, lack of wide screen and lack of traffic monitoring.

The 660 certainly seems to come across as a winner to me.

Just like the old 2610 GPS then. No buttons. No problem.

Agreed that lack of buttons isn't a problem provided the unit has been designed for gloved hands as the Zumo has.

The 2610 does, however, have 4 buttons!

Greg

Update on release

Phoned Garmin today for an indication of release for the 660:drool

I was told that they will be releasing them by mid April to their various suppliers, but it will depend on which supplier you go to as some will get them before others!

Unfortunately they didn't tell me which of their suppliers would be getting them first:mad:

I think I'll stick with my 550.
The only interesting feature is stereo bluetooth. But then I think I can bypass that problem with clever use of a FM transmitter and my Cardio Scala FM.

hearing the news that with immediate effect ... zumo 660 UK price has been hiked up today to £499 inc VAT (SRP price), that £70 and its not released yet.

http://www.purelywebstores.co.uk/p-380-garmin-zumo-660.aspx

Pre-ordered from these lot quite awhile ago when prices were £350, I did ask specifically ask the question of pre-order prices being what you pay if the price does go up and they were positive they'd honour that price, wonder if they'll still feel that way soon then :augie

edit: well just had a 'live chat' with one of there reps and again they say the price you order at is the price you pay when they ship, which they estimate to be end March beginning of April. Current price on there site is £366 so may well be worth preordering looking at the price RAM-man is quoting!

Back
Top Bottom