Anyone use Garmin Mobile XT

It is well designed but really slow even on a 533Mhz cpu and the latest version pushes all of Garmin online services to bump their revenues. I gave up on it.

TomTom with the latest maps is just as mature feature wise and doesn't insist on all the "online" shite. The main difference is TomTom is so quick to redraw maps as you plan or need to recalculate. It's useable while XT is a pita.

Maps on the TomTom are a bit harder to understand, the latest you want for Europe is 8.30.2307 while the latest TomTom is 7.915.9196 (unavailable in shops so you'll have to install a cracked version from xda-developers or ipmart). Also these maps are more up-to date than Garmin v10.

Try it out: http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4764

Mobile XT, works fine on my Nokia 3110 Classic but the display on that model of phone is very small. Looks great on my mate’s big screen LG phone.

Track log can be saved and downloaded as a GPX file to your PC, waypoints can be uploaded too (again, in GPX format).

One of the neatest features is the ability to send a location message to other XT users so if you’re lost your buddy can send you a location message showing where he is and you can route back to him, you can also send a location message request to other XT users for the same purpose, all in all pretty damd clever, so clever its not featured on the Zumo… :rolleyes:

work on my Nokia N95, just perfect.

Only to get Voices on my phone from Garmin I had to download a extra file from the garmin site but now everythings works okay.

If i want to complain about something, is that every time I start the application I have to change the GPS receiver, because i do not use the internal one but an external.

Having a play with it recently and it seems quite good. Only problem so far is that I can't send waypoints / routes from Mapsource to it, that I can then open up. Tried the faq's answer and it still doesn't play, so have sent Garmin support an e-mail.

I used to use it on my Palm Treo PDA/Phone.

It worked well, but was one app to many on a PDA.

I still have it on the Palm, as it's handy to look up postcodes etc when the 660 is elsewhere.

For loads of info on it's use on Palm's check out this thread, you may find some interesting info. The email address for the guy from Garmin UK is useful, as he responds in person and know what he's talking about. It's quite a few pages back :thumb2

http://discussion.treocentral.com/t...ile-10-software-palm-os-now-available-26.html

I have used GMXT on my N95 for two years now and just recently moved to N97.

On my bike I use the best-of-the-best, a Garmin 278. My wife use a Garmin 760 in her car.

I use GMXT on Nokia N97 in my car and when walking. The N97 is, by far, the quickest to find satellite contact and has the best map resolution & map detail. The main advantage is that I have it with me. Always.

All three devices accepts upload of waypoints and routes. This is, for me, an absolute requirement for a GPS. I can't accept keying in addresses for routing. I always create a set of waypoints prior to a trip (local, to USA, to Rome, etc) and upload them to the GPS. Typically a few hotels, customers to visit, alp passes, etc.

For usage on my offroad bike there is no serious alternative to the Garmin 278 and route planning in Mapsource. Therefore I'm stuck with using Garmin also for other applications - thus no alternative for me to use GMXT in my mobile.

And why not? Since the maps are stored in the phone memory the network costs are neglectable. Roadmaps (City Navigator) are great and both topo maps and blue charts are available for most areas worldwide.

Only negative experience with GMXT is that neither the N95 nor the N97 are very reliable. Crasches and need restart too often.

Initial impressions are it works well on my HTC Touch HD :)

Screen resolution is good and as I've disabled the GPSR there's no extra cost for using it unlike Orange Maps, and that needs coverage for calculating / recalculating a route.

Bought myself a car mount / charger so if I'm travelling light it'll be good enough.

Hmm - HTC HD with 480x800 pixel? Great resolution and map detail I assume?

But maybe very thin roads? In my typ-file library, http://resmark.se/gps/hmrtyp.zip I have added typ-files with thicker roadlines that work better with high resolution mobile phone screens. :)

Road clarity and the rest seems very good, better than the Zumo.

on their mobile phone and have any thoughts?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=138&pID=11413

Ive seen it working on a Nokia 5800XM touch screen and its useless. It may be to do with the Nokia but the position on the maps lags the actual position by 30 metres or more, the phone freezes on recalcs especially if one has "Turn previews" enabled ,it also freezes when scrolling the map so it has to be turned off and back on again .The good thing was the maps were very clear and bright .
the phone had the latest firmware and version of XT installed.

dave

Last edited:
You're right, it looks great but doesn't work in the real world as it's far too slow. TomTom now has 8.35 maps (2 weeks old) and is ace. :thumb2

You're right, it looks great but doesn't work in the real world as it's far too slow. TomTom now has 8.35 maps (2 weeks old) and is ace. :thumb2

Works ok in my 2009 phone with nice big screen. Fast enough for me when it's not the purpose it was designed for. For me as a back up for 99% of the time for a proper GPS its good value for money. YMMV especially with an older phone / smaller screen.

Also, I use a garmin GPS normally, why would I want to have to learn another system just so I can have a spare? Easy if primary and back up are have the same OS :)

Back
Top Bottom