Rattling rear brake.....

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..... isn't a brake problem :(

Discovered my rear drive bearings are shot :blast
No oil leak, but definite play (2 - 3mm at wheel rim)

Looks like four wheels for a while.........:tears

hope they get the parts faster than they are for mine.... been waiting nearly 4 weeks now for a cylinder head....

Sorry to hear that Spout :(

Are you fixing it yourself or sending it somewhere mate?

Steppers was saying that he knows of someone who can get them fixed...

Yeah, mines at 31K :blast

I caught it quite early, I regularly check for play and there's been none.
Thought something was amiss on a trail ride (and even had a quick check at one of the stops, but couldn't detect any play). Then for the last few hours the bike developed a nasty rattle, eventually traced to the rear brake.

Closer inspection back at home revealed slight play, and the speedo pick up had a slither of metal on it.

Rear drive now with Roy Gardener for him to have a play with :thumb2

PS Some of you might have noticed my HP was up for sale. This has happened only 200 miles later - Doesn't bear thinking about........

All back together, and a short test ride yesterday before the weather turned :thumb
Excellent service from Roy (if it lasts :augie:D), and all done for the price of a sports tyre :clap

One thing I didn't realise is that the bearing doesn't run in the oil, but is a grease filled (hopefully :rob) sealed unit (wheel side of the oil seal). Only the RHS needle roller and shaft bearing are in the oil. Rear drive still has to come apart to get to the bugger though.

My old bearing is stiff and slighly notchy but I cant feel any play in it, but obviously goosed. I've taken the plastic covers off it - there's not much grease in there and it was gritty. I'm guessing its had water in there (rusty coloured) - one too many river crossings or just wet weather riding?

It's not easy to clean down behind the disc carrier so the new bearing will be under attack already :mad:

Hope it lasts another 30,000 miles :thumb

Glad to hear you're back on the road :thumb2

Are you saying that you got your FD rebuilt for a couple hundred pounds? Sounds like a good deal if that's the case

Finally got around draining my diff on the HP2 tonight and no play on the bearing or the pinion shaft. Oil came out just slightly off colour but not that bad given this is the first time I changed it @ 29k miles. Drained 250ml out and put 200ml back in.

Took best part of 20 minutes and spend more time afterwards cleaning everything around the diff and the rear wheel and good coating of ACF50 on the lot before re-assemble. Shaft splines also greased up again :thumb2

Will now do it on a more regular basis and hope the bearing keep on going :augie

Back
Top Bottom