Rukka Armadillo

andy123

My previous Rukka Cordura 500 based kit (Steele jkt & Unit trs) had given me excellent service without letting in any water and remaining in great condition while biking throughout the year. However, circumstances have allowed me to upgrade this kit to the Rukka Armadillo suit so I thought I'd post a few observations so far:

1. Noticeably lighter off the peg but has a stiffer texture due in large part to the Armacor patches and also the goretex laminated material which is 'crispier'. After a couple of hours it has 'broken in' a little and is as comfortable as the Cordura 500 kit.

2. Fit and comfort on the bike is excellent with no draughts with everything cinched in correctly, it's cut really well. Off the bike it is also very comfortable but I have taken to undoing the neck baffle which is a little bigger than on my old suit and sits a little higher.

3. I found it to be warmer on the bike than the Cordura 500 kit, I put this down to that fact that water/moisture does not soak up and penetrate the outer shell since the Armadillo kit uses a laminated goretex material, whereas the cordura 500 kit uses a Z liner inside the outer shell. It also breathes a lot better with absolutely no claminess in cold, wet, humid weather. My Cordura kit often had some condensation inside when it was wet and humid. It is also less stuffy if you are in a building due I think to the better 'breathability'.

4. Due to the fact that it does not soak up water in the same way as the cordura 500 kit it stays light in weight on wet days which feels great. I feel less tired at the end of a cold wet commute. The other bonus is at the end of the day I don't have to pull on and warm up a soggy set of Cordura 500 before my return home as the Armadillo suit has dried out very quickly.

5. Can't say how good the higher level of abrasion proofing is [hope I never can] but it does inspire a little more confidence in the outcome of a slide as the kit feels noticeably tougher in all the right places. The rest of the suit has a softer texture to the outer than my old suit, must remember to try this out on the wife at some point ....

6. Quality of finish is superb and I have been told that these suits are still manufactured in Finland. Don't know whether this is good thing or just a pop fact but for some reason I trust the Scandinavians to do things properly.

7. The big question for me though is 'was it worth the expense', probably a little to early to say yet but I certainly do not feel short changed. I would still happily pull on a set of Cordura 500 based Rukka kit but given the choice I would definitely plumb for the Armadillo if cash allows.

So far it has been used for daily 45 min commutes in drizzle, torrential rain, wind, snow, sleet and the other day the road was nearly dry under an overcast sky [does that count as spring?].

Has yet to see sunshine and warm biking conditions but will write this up later in the year when it happens, apparently it is treated in such a way as to help minimise absorption of infra red radiation from the Sun so that should be interesting as my old suit could get a little warm in summer.

Jesus (apologies to those of the christian religious leaning)

Okay,..I really really want that kit, without reading your post (Which I'm about too) can you post pictures of it or link to pictures please. I'm a picture man, I read the images]

Brilliant review, write up. Would like piccies, did I mention pictures??

Ow ow where did you buy the kit from please & cost. This is the same kit I'd like

You forgot to say about the 5 year guarantee. Sent mine back to Rukka after 3 1/2 years and 45k in all weathers and it was replaced without question. In my book that makes it worth the extra
Matt

Agree with andy123 and Matt,
Rukka quality and service :thumb2+1,
got the Allroad suit, going into my 3rd year with it, never let me down, cold or wet.

off road rukka?

This seems to address the 'buy cheap and buy twice' syndrome I often suffer from. Does anyone have experience with the Rukka off road kit, eg: Gobi or Kalahari models?

This seems to address the 'buy cheap and buy twice' syndrome I often suffer from. Does anyone have experience with the Rukka off road kit, eg: Gobi or Kalahari models?

Also got a pair of Kalahari trousers, same quality as the Allroad stuff. :thumb2

Hi GunZenBomZ,

I'll try and get some piccies up later tonight. RRP is £729 for the jacket and £599 for the trousers. I got mine from Infinity in Farnborough along with a new Arai lid and Rukka gloves so I was able to get a decent discount. It's worth talking to them to see what deal they can do depending on how much kit you buy from them at the time.

They had a large range of Rukka kit in store, plus they have a bike store next door so you can try the kit on and swing a leg over a bike to get a feel for the 'on the bike' fit.

....when my Rukka kits needs replace I think I will try the Halversons safety suit, as I can then replace the gortex lines cheaply as they wear out.

Been meaning to send my Rukka jacket back to replace broken zips, button and velco fasterners....but is pain to be without right now.

You will find over time....a year or so the hydropbic coating wears out and its diffcult with commerical products to get back to the original level which was excellent and dried out very quickly.

With a Gore outter this wont be any issue....

The Halverssons is a really interesting product, be good to get a long term view on it at some point.

I've found that on my mountaineering and sailing goretex based gear the Nik-wax product is the best in terms of maintaining and restoring both waterproofing and breathability ... also, if you put it in a tumble drier on low heat the 'Durable Water Repellancy' is also restored somewhat. I've seen suggestions to use a warm iron instead of a tumble drier but never fancied trying it. I think Grangers also do a spray to restore DWR.

COLLOR

Hi

I have the Armadillo jacket and would agree with the general comments however I have found that in very bad wet weather the collor absorbs water and this then becomes saturated and runs down you neck, not nice on a cold winters day.
I have to put this down to a design fault because of the material used , Has anyone found a soution to this, water proof spray etc.

Back
Top Bottom