Rim out of true ?

roddy

Reaction score
Folks I need tae pick yir brains.

Recently I had a front tyre that developed a fault cracks appeared along one side of it and the cracks where deep, I got in touch with tyre company and they arranged for a replacement to be fitted to the wheel by a local company, I'm a happy boy at this point :)

The local fitter how had one of those powered wheel balance machines says my wheel is out of true, ovalised rather than buckled, maybe by as much as 3mm and this is a border line MOT fail :eek:, and to get it fixed is either replace the wheel with new or send it off to Central wheels (or tyres) in Birmingham to get the Rim sorted out, so

How accurate is this 3mm limit ?

Also we got talking about the faulty tyre and he asked where I got it, told him bought from M&P over the Internet, at this point he takes a big lung of air and proceeds to tell me how wrong that is and how he reluctantly will fit 'internet' tyres, as you don't know if your getting a UK spec tyre ?,
I mentioned surely company's must make them to some sort of standard so you know your getting a safe product fit for use, I asked whether he meant different speed ratings
No he says they use different compounds for different markets for the same tyre model ? so for a UK spec it maybe a softer compound that say Asia where it maybe a harder compound but it'll be same model of tyre and sometimes these internet companys will buy the Asian spec tyre and sell in this country so your not really get the product as designed for our country ?

sounded a bit like BS tae me but anybody know for definite.
was I getting pee'd on from a great hieght or is this guys telling the truth ?

cheers

A BIG BEWARE! I dropped into National Tryes Kendal a couple of years ago for an F1 style tyre change on a trip, so I turn up, have the wheel out in a few minutes, bloke takes wheels and does the usual tyre bay change. I am faintly interested but notice tyre monkey spinning the back wheel on the balancer.

He says " I think your wheel is out" I go to have a look and it looks about 5mm+ out as he spins it:eek:

I think "Should have noticed that!" but he marks the out part and we agree to get the job finished and I will investigate further.

Later I set up a rudimentary measure by the back wheel and check again and hey presto, no play. Seems monkey had not set the wheel straight in his supa dupa balance machine. TWT.

Moral is, check it yourself, especially if it's a dealer telling you:augie:D

I now do most changes myself or watch a bit closer...

Last edited:
Oh, and the bit about tyre spec differences may or may not be true but tyre fitters are notoriously protective of their own sales as the tyre is usually the main mark up and the companies are always covering thier own arses concerning litigation re correct fitment.

I've done a quick check and there is a bit of a wobble, but it doesn't look like 3mm I'm going to check tomorrow a bit more accurately.

I've done a bit of digging and found the limits are 2mm laterial and 3mm oval I think i'm okay

The tyre thing I'll probably not get an answer for, as you mention fitters are protective of there market

Back
Top Bottom