DR350 bent gear shaft

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I ride a Beta Alp 4.0 which uses the DR350 engine and I knocked the gearlever quite badly over the weekend. A quick reposition of the cast ally lever let me continue riding (didn't want to try straightening it).

Closer inspection has revealed that the gear change shaft has bent (or misaligned?) aswell as the lever.

Strangely the bike will now only change gear with the engine running, but all gears/change are fine otherwise (over 100 miles of trail riding).

Not knowing the internals, I'm wondering what (if any) damage a knock to the shaft can cause?

Has anyone else given their gearlever a knock resulting in internal damage?

Cheers..............:thumb

I suspect that the bend continues in to the casing, therefore the bearing effect in the casing is lost due to misalignment.
Is the seal still holding oil in?
Now if you try to straighten it, I'd be looking to slide a piece of tube neatly over the shaft, and right up to the seal, as you're needin to reduce the bend where the casing acts as a bearing.
It is a seat-of-the-pants job I'm affraid, but what else can you do....?
All you're after achieving is the return of a smooth gear selection, so don't go mad, just little bends until you're happy. Make sure the engine is cold as that is when clearances are at a minimum...... like I have to tell you that! ;-)

Timpo.

I'm guessing the selector forks could be out of alignment, this could cause wear initially so it may be a good idea to change your oil.

I'd start looking for another engine/box.

I doubt that you could straighten the shaft without taking it out of the box. It was bent with a 'shock' impact - unless it's made of cheese (unlikely) you probably won't bent it back from outside.

Keep riding what you've got until it gives up the ghost, then wedge in your replacement unit.

Greg

Ta for that :thumb

As the seal is holding up, and all the gears and gear changes work (with the engine running:confused:) I'm just going to keep riding. If anything goes "bang" then that's the time to delve inside.

I've found a parts diagram that shows the shaft is quite long (the change mechanism is on the RHS of bike) so the shaft must be bent rather than misaligned. And it's not too bent to use as is (the slight extra stiffness I felt could've just been the temp positioning of the lever), so I'm not even going to try and straighten it.

Already forgotten about :augie

The next oil change might be revealing though :D

Ta for that :thumb

As the seal is holding up, and all the gears and gear changes work (with the engine running:confused:) I'm just going to keep riding. If anything goes "bang" then that's the time to delve inside.

I've found a parts diagram that shows the shaft is quite long (the change mechanism is on the RHS of bike) so the shaft must be bent rather than misaligned. And it's not too bent to use as is (the slight extra stiffness I felt could've just been the temp positioning of the lever), so I'm not even going to try and straighten it.

Already forgotten about :augie

The next oil change might be revealing though :D

It was the via scabrosus wot done it!

:D

Greg

Back
Top Bottom