is my GPS sapping my battery?

richdj

Reaction score
Due to a cost issue and the need for a useable sat nav on a recent trip. I used my car tom tom XL, on my 2004 r1200gs, with a SW-motech riser attachment and bag. Connected the sat nav up and all was well on the trip. Not far, just short of 200 miles (each way), left the bike for about 40 hours, then the return trip. Used the bike the following day 25 mile trip (no problems starting), then it stood still for 3 days.

I noticed the sat nav hadn't charged much, over the 7 hours (both 200 mile trips) . Once I tried starting the bike after the 3 day lay off, the battery was all but dead, just showing 5 amps on the charger. The battery was new in Feb 2010. Is it likely the tom tom has sapped the power, or just a battery issue in general? Does a bike sat nav use more power than a car one?

Cheer
Rich

Did you leave the satnav plugged into the bike when you left it as that will zap the battery over a couple of days

Was it plugged into a cigarette lighter? If so the canbus kills the power to these 5 mins after you turn off the bike.

I doubt the sat nav is killing the battery. It could be the CANBUS not turning the power socket on as it thinks the battery is too low (it also does the same with the heated grips)

Cheers

Did you leave the satnav plugged into the bike when you left it as that will zap the battery over a couple of days

Was it plugged into a cigarette lighter? If so the canbus kills the power to these 5 mins after you turn off the bike.

I doubt the sat nav is killing the battery. It could be the CANBUS not turning the power socket on as it thinks the battery is too low (it also does the same with the heated grips)

Yes, and you've probably left it long enough to do so - DAMHIK:mad: Maybe both
No, but a car has a bigger battery.

Cheers guys.. The sat nav was only left on for the five mins during refueling stops. But was removed / turned off as soon as I reached my destination. Battery has been recharged, and touch wood :comfort it's holding the charge.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom