Champagne Trip

Foto John

Reaction score
Last weekend together with my girlfriend Inge on her Suzuki Intruder 1400, we returned from a week of touring around the Champagne region of France. In that week we covered almost 3000 kilometres, this is our story:
We set off from our home in Blankenberge, on the northern coast of Belgium to start a week of touring around the Champagne region of France, with a target of purchasing as many different bottles of Champagne from as many different towns/villages as we could fit in our panniers!
We took a relaxed route down, with virtually no motorway included, in fact we managed to use the very smallest twisty D and C roads we and the Garmin GPS V could find (I had actually programmed a good route on the GPS at home, but it just didn't work properly on the day). We started heading out towards the Flemish Ardennes in East Flanders and headed towards Valanciennes, we took only a few kms of motorway to miss out the city and industrial area and picked up some beautifull roads heading in the general direction of Laon.
Bearing in mind we were leaving on a sunday, we could find hardly any petrol stations open that would take our cards or even cash, fuel wasn't a problem for me though, as it's only around 400kms in total from our house to the Gitê in Vindy just south of Sezanne. However Inge's Intruder can only manage 180 kms before it needs re-fuelling again. We only just managed to find a fuel-pump open in the middle of no-where, with only about 15kms left from Inge's fuel tank.
The weather was getting warmer and sunnier the further we travelled south and I was very gratefull to E.J. Cambell Evans for shipping over the excellent Hein Gericke Gore-Tex Tuareg jacket so promptly, (thanks Cambell :thumb) that I bought off him a week earlier from this forum.
After nearly 400 kms (around 240 miles) of travelling on very small roads often stopping to take photos or even just slowing to take a good look of the views around we arrived at our France-Gitê. Tired after 9 hours on the road but happy with the riding we had done and exstatic with the accomodation we unpacked and opened a cooled bottle of Champagne, given to us by our hosts.

Attachments

• champagne vine-yards.jpg
    champagne vine-yards.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 402
No Bike....?

Why no bike...??

Amazingly beautiful area... could be down South Africa way as well.... I did the Champagne region in a campervan some years ago, must say.... still looks good. Next time GS.

John,

Suits you sir! Glad the jacket worked well for you and that you enjoyed your trip. Did you end up taking the lining out ? Never been to that area, but I hope to go one day.

E. J. Cambell Evans said:
John,

Glad the jacket worked well for you and that you enjoyed your trip. Did you end up taking the lining out ?

Only had it in an hour or so on the way down and for about a couple of hours on the way home :D !

Inge with her '97 Intruder 1400 outside of our Gitê, she's had it from new you know :eek: , I've had 8 'bikes in the same period :eek: :D !

Attachments

• inge intruder.jpg
    inge intruder.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 329
Day two

On the second day of our holiday we took a trip to Eperenay, we spent a few hours exploring the town and having a midday snack.

Attachments

• epernay building.jpg
    epernay building.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 319
After Lunch

We took a visit to the caves of Moët et Chandon :) !

Here's Inge outside their fence.

Attachments

• moet et chandon building.jpg
    moet et chandon building.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 320
Champagne dreams...

Sorry John, I jumped the gun, did not realise, you had just started loading your pics. I just finished the Hogroast kickoff too.
Amazing thing... men and bikes, every time I buy a new one, its "The last one, must keep till retirement" hahaha....
She does keep it looking good though... credit to Inge.
rian

Re: Champagne dreams...

Grizz said:
Sorry John, I jumped the gun, did not realise, you had just started loading your pics. I just finished the Hogroast kickoff too.
Amazing thing... men and bikes, every time I buy a new one, its "The last one, must keep till retirement" hahaha....
She does keep it looking good though... credit to Inge.
rian

No probs Grizz.............Inge says thanks :thumb.

BTW, men & bikes......... did you realise you're exactly 5 years my senior :eek: :D !

Take a look in my profile ;) .

To be continued.............

I've got to be in Northern Germany by 0800 tomorrow morning :driving, so unfortunately I've got to get away now.

Until next weekend then :thumb !

Back again..................

Inside the caves were full of hundreds of thousands of bottles of various types of champagne and different vintages etc. fermenting away.

Attachments

• moet et chandon caves.jpg
    moet et chandon caves.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 246
After the have fermented to a certain extent, the bottles are then moved onto a board to be turned at various times during the day.

Attachments

• champagne bottles for turning.jpg
    champagne bottles for turning.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 126
Even Napoleon Bonapart......

Had a Moët et Chandon Champagne vat, that he took with him to Hastings and no doubt celebrated from!

Attachments

• champagne napoleon vat.jpg
    champagne napoleon vat.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 125
At the end of the tour..........

Comes the tasting :D ............unfortunately for us though, we were on the bikes, so only had a few sips of the glass each :( !

Still, we bought a few bottles to take home with us, to taste, for a decent price :D !

Attachments

• moet et chandon tasting.jpg
    moet et chandon tasting.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 121
Re: Even Napoleon Bonapart......

Belgian John said:
Even Napoleon Bonepart had a Moët et Chandon Champagne vat, that he took with him to Hastings and no doubt celebrated from!

Err....John.....when was Napoleon at Hastings ? ;) If my GCE history serves me correctly that would have been William the Conqueror . Napoleon however probably ended up getting well pissed after the battle of waterloo (which he lost) about 800 years later :D

Nice pics John.:thumb Maybe you could send me your GPS route - I wouldn't mind getting down that way sometime.

Back
Top Bottom