Normandy September 2011

Dave & Val

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Along with a few others we are doing a short tour to Normandy France if any other interested riders, Partners and friends wish to tag along you would be more than welcome (Bikes, Cars Vans I don't mind if you don't), Each day after breakfast; we depart on rides as required by you or as agreed over breakfast, as there is so much to see and do in Normandy, while I'm happy to lead a group around (done this area many times and know the beaches etc).

I am arranging the half board accommodation in the Chateau Le Mont Epinguet which is Biker friendly with under cover parking; all you need to is book your own ferries, B&B’s before and after ferry (as/if required by you).
Please see below for the ferry Options/details from the South West / South area;

Ferry Crossing Options/ details to get across to France the and Return to UK.

Outward Ferry Option 1;
On the 9th September 2011 (Friday) Ferry from Poole to Cherbourg – )We are booking this one, we Depart 0715; so we are looking at Travelling to Poole and B&B overnight). The ferry will arrive at Cherbourg at 1030 local time with the afternoon to have lunch and ride around the coast then head to the Chateau for around 1600.

Outward Ferry Option 2;
On the 8th September 2011 (Thursday) Overnight Ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff – Depart 2300 arrive at Roscoff 0700 local time with a whole day to ride to the Chateau in Normandy.

Outward Ferry Option 3;
Depart from another port of your choosing i.e. Portsmouth – no restrictions on how you want to get there.

Return Ferry Option 1;
On Monday 12th September 2011 Ferry from Cherbourg to Poole – Depart 1115 arrive 1240 BST – Ride to Plymouth. (2.5 Hours)

Return Ferry Option 2;
On Monday 12th September 2011 Ferry from Cherbourg to Portsmouth – Depart 1215 arrive 1415 BST – Ride to Plymouth. (3.5 Hours)

Return Ferry Option 3;
Depart from another port / on another day of your choosing – no restrictions on how you want to get home.

The Ferry Costs as of 31 Oct 2010:
Poole – Cherbourg & Cherbourg - Poole = £115.00

Plymouth – Roscoff (with Cabin) & Cherbourg – Poole = £168.00

Plymouth – Roscoff(with Cabin) & Cherbourg – Portsmouth = £228.00

Cost for the Chateau:- Dinner (a candlelit 3 course dinner with ½ bottle of wine & coffee), Bed and French Breakfast (Please note this is an old building lovingly looked after by Fiona & Mark and is shared facilities i.e. Bathrooms & Showers).

Making the Accommodation fee for three nights total of just;
Couple = £260
Single = £130

I will need a deposit of £50 per person to secure the Chateau for you by 4th of March 2011, and the balance by 1st August 2011 at the latest, feel free to pay it off earlier.

The Area

The Normandy region of France which combines a 360-mile dramatic coastline, including the dramatically evocative World War II landing beaches, with a verdant interior of lush farmland, bustling market towns, and historic landmarks such as the cities of Caen, Bayeux and Rouen. Gastronomic delights abound, from fine Cakes, cheeses to cider and Calvados.
I have opted for September to hopefully miss the worst of the ‘Summer’ weather!

Chateau Le Mont Epinguet.
This beautiful part of Normandy - which was the wealthiest region of France in the 18th Century - offers some superb scenery, a labyrinth of ancient rambling paths, elegant chateaux and medieval manoirs, gastronomic pleasures (including fresh seafood specialities), pretty regional markets and superb bathing beaches on the west coat opposite Jersey.
Mark and Fiona Berridge came to Normandy looking for a cottage but when offered the chance to buy Chateau Le Mont Epinguet, a magnificent historic building just 8 miles from Cherbourg, the decision was an easy one.
Today Mark and Fiona run the chateau as an informal guest house - offering bed and breakfast or hiring whole areas to self-catering groups. It is even possible to hire the entire chateau.
Built in 1751, Chateau Le Mont Epinguet stood originally in 2,000 acres. During the war, the chateau was occupied by the Germans as a communications headquarters. Now it is being lovingly restored to its former glory by the Berridges.

Chateau Le Mont Epinguet
Brix 50700
Normandie
France
Tel; (0033) 233 419 631

How to find Chateau Le Mont Epinguet;
From the RN13 (North bound);
Having passed Valognes & Saint-Joseph, Take the turn right towards Mont A la Quesne / D119 (Just passed a overhead bridge) to Rufosses (Not Brix) following the blue and white signs to the Chateau (about 1 mile)
From Cherbourg:
Take the RN13 road from Cherbourg towards Valognes, signposted Caen
Travel eight miles
Turn right on the D119 for Rufosses (not Brix)
Cross the motorway bridge, following the blue and white signs to the Chateau (about 1 mile)

Attachments

• chateaularge.gif
    chateaularge.gif
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,096
Hi D&V

I missed this when you originally posted.

I might be very interested in this as I might be able to tag it onto a longer trip down to the Pyrenees.

Just to let others know, I did this very trip with Dave & Val a few years ago. Checking my email archive it was Sept 2004. That trip was organised by someone who became something of a villain on here: he seemed such a nice chap at the time :)

The venue, Chateau Penguin is excellent. Sort of Fawlty Towers run by hippies. The food was really good and the wine flowed in generous proportions, especially on the last night when Mark had to rush out to SuperU to get Calor Gas. There was a bit of a gap between courses and I might've got a bit drunk. Thankfully the French didn't stop me on the way to the ferry and we were on a slow boat so I sobered up by the time we got to Poole.

It was a very pleasant weekend.

Hi D&V

I missed this when you originally posted.

I might be very interested in this as I might be able to tag it onto a longer trip down to the Pyrenees.

PM on its way...

Thanks for the comments that was a good year, since then we have been back for 5 years taking groups out for a relaxing rides around the WW2 D-DAY sights - I see it as a good intro to Europe of first timers we have had a few through over the years.

sounds like a great way to spend a few days. Maybe getting ahead of myself a bit (as I'm only still in the process of buying the bike:D) but if everything goes to plan over the next month or so with the buying process, me & herself that doesnt complain when I talk about bikes constantly would love to tag along.

Back
Top Bottom