Please sponsor me - MacMillan Cancer Support

Demongroover

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry to post this here but I am trying to raise some money for MacMillan Cancer Support.

1 in 3 of us will be directly affected by Cancer in our lives.

We may suffer ourselves or lose our loved ones.

I lost my Mum, my Grandfather and an ex-girlfiend (just 28 years old) to Cancer. All of whom benefitted from the care of the MacMillan staff in their last days.

I would like to raise some money to help these fantastic people and support them. These carers see this sad story unfold time after time, so I'd like to acknowledge them in my own small way.

In May 2011, I will be walking up to 4240 metres (nearly 14,000 feet) from Cusco to Machu Picchu in Peru, the City in the Sky, built by the Incas. I am hoping to raise £5000 or more. I would be grateful for any donation, however small to aid me reaching this target.

My workplace Balfour Beatty Fleet Services are promoting and sponsoring me, as are two motorcycle clubs I am involved with. Add your name to the list, dig deep, and put a little back.

http://www.justgiving.com/Simon-Baker0

Simon

It might help your cause if you explain the funding of the trip itself.

For example are you paying all the associated costs yourself and is 100% of the money going to the charity?

Sometimes there are similar expeditions where the person raises several £000 but that includes the cost of the trip itself that the charity promote.

You will usually find the tossers on here very generous for such good causes as Macmillan Cancer so good luck and best wishes.:thumb2

PS Just found link on Macmillan site which explains that 35% of the minimum £3,700 ie £1,295 is for the cost of the trip itself. Are you putting that part in yourself?

Is this one of those schemes where you get a free holiday if you manage to raise enough sponsorship?

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Fundraising/Hikingevents/Peru/PeruHikingChallenge.aspx

When I used to do sponsored walks it was 500 times around the local football pitch.

Very worthy cause, I hope you raise lots, but surely the cost of the trip comes out of the money the charity can use for research.

It is a great walk BTW. I did it many years ago.

I have to raise £3400 of which £1600 pays for the trip (which isn't a free holiday, it's a real challenge), I have upped the target to £5000 so MacMillan get the full amount they want for the charity, plus I will be funding part of the trip costs myself.

PS Just found link on Macmillan site which explains that 35% of the minimum £3,700 ie £1,295 is for the cost of the trip itself. Are you putting that part in yourself?

No, I've upped the target amount to cover the costs, so MacMillan get the full donation. I am aiming for £5000 instead of £3400.
I have a couple of good donations coming from two bike clubs I am in, where we give the car parking fee's to charity for those who come to our events in a car or van instead of on their bikes. Also the raffle and black outs etc.
I am confident of about £3000 + at the mo, so am working to get to the £5k.

I have to raise £3400 of which £1600 pays for the trip (which isn't a free holiday, it's a real challenge), I have upped the target to £5000 so MacMillan get the full amount they want for the charity, plus I will be funding part of the trip costs myself.

So you are expecting people on this forum to pay for your holiday.

and yes it is a holiday

because I am doing the same thing in February but (silly me) I am paying myself ---- I should have come on here and got sponsorship.

If you want to raise money for MacMillan then I am sure you would get a better response by stating that you are doing a sponsored dig of an old persons garden.

Just think maximum profit and no cost as all donations can go to the charity.--

but then it is not the Inca Trail is it.

and yes it is a holiday

because I am doing the same thing in February but (silly me) I am paying myself ---- I should have come on here and got sponsorship.

If you want to raise money for MacMillan then I am sure you would get a better response by stating that you are doing a sponsored dig of an old persons garden.

After losing 3 relatives to cancer I didn't immediately think I'll get myself a free holiday under the guise of raising money.
Thanks for all your help, not.

and yes it is a holiday

I think you are being very dissingenuous here. This is a normal way of raising money these days and good on Demongroover is making an effort to get off his ass and raise some money. I couldn't two hoots if he's walking the Inca Trail, The Pennine Way or round his garden 500 times, he's going to raise a few grand for a great cause and if he has a good time doing it, good on him.

If you don't agree with the methodology, don't donate....simple.

I lost 2 family members within 3 weeks last year and MacMillan were superb so I'll be supporting you Demongroover

I think you are being very dissingenuous here. This is a normal way of raising money these days and good on Demongroover is making an effort to get off his ass and raise some money. I couldn't two hoots if he's walking the Inca Trail, The Pennine Way or round his garden 500 times, he's going to raise a few grand for a great cause and if he has a good time doing it, good on him.

If you don't agree with the methodology, don't donate....simple.

I lost 2 family members within 3 weeks last year and MacMillan were superb so I'll be supporting you Demongroover
Thee are two ways of looking at this. On the one hand somebody is being sponsored to do something many people would be delighted to do as a leisure activity. And getting (at least part of) the costs paid for from the donations into the bargain

On the other hand, these kind of appeals catch peoples imagination and maybe this approach maximises income for the charity.

Whether you think its a good fund-raising for the charity or a free holiday under the guise of a charity appeal just depends on your point of view

On the other hand, these kind of appeals catch peoples imagination and maybe this approach maximises income for the charity.

I raised some money a couple of years ago for a local childrens hospice when I did my trip to Alaska. OK, I was paying for the trip but I couldn't work out why people would give money when I was doing something I enjoy and was going to do anyway.

The hospice fund raisers pointed out that is raises the awareness and as you say, maximises income for their charity. They were even willing to sponsor me for a few quid but I turned that down. I was on local radio talking about it so they are happy that the word is spread anyway possible.

I admit it's tough for some people to see through the "free holiday" bit but you takes your choice to give or not. I'm happy to give to what is the charity of my choice:thumb

I raised some money a couple of years ago for a local childrens hospice when I did my trip to Alaska. OK, I was paying for the trip but I couldn't work out why people would give money when I was doing something I enjoy and was going to do anyway.

The hospice fund raisers pointed out that is raises the awareness and as you say, maximises income for their charity. They were even willing to sponsor me for a few quid but I turned that down. I was on local radio talking about it so they are happy that the word is spread anyway possible.

I admit it's tough for some people to see through the "free holiday" bit but you takes your choice to give or not. I'm happy to give to what is the charity of my choice:thumb

With you all the way Sarge...

As long as the individual is paying for the "trip" I see no issue in seeing if others will donate to a charity...

I paid EVERY SINGLE CENT incurred by Susie and me when I did the Alaska to NY trip in 2009. I made it bloody clear to everyone that no donations at all would be funding the trip and told a few people that I was making a link to Breast Cancer Care because of Susie's diagnosis in 2005.

I raised £14,500 !! All of which went to the charity and all of which they wouldn't have received had i not "alerted people to my madness" !!

I do think it is wrong, however, when people raise funds, deduct what the trip is costing them from that amount, and give the rest to charity without being "up front" about that fact...

I'll come knockin' Chris when i set off in April to Magadan as I'm doing another link to BCC again Chris !!

So if I decide to do the RBLR 1000, no one will have any concerns when I take out the Fuel costs and wear and tear on tyres :nenau

Doesen't sit right with me and me being green, I didn't even realise this thing went on among ordinary common or garden fund raisers that put in their own effort (which always has some form of cost) to help the less fortunate.

Stretch :confused:

Yes but you PAID for the trip - not deduct from the donations - that is the major difference in my opinion - I applaud your efforts

I applaud all efforts for raising money for charities especially in todays climate

but I totally dissagree with using some of the donations towards an exotic trip.

If the primary aim is to raise funds then all donations should go to the charity.

These are my thoughts others may be happy to donate to a trip - that is their choice.

I was thinking of the RBL1000 but I would not deduct the fuel costs or the food costs or the overnight hotel if needed - I would pay that myself (unless of course you would like to sponsor that part or the ride)

Here's the story in the local Telegraph

PeruTrekTelegraphDec2010.jpg

Just to help clarify for everyone are you covering the total cost of the trip yourself as mentioned in the newspaper clip or part of the trip mentioned in post 4 ?

Good luck with the fundraising a great charity that needs all the support they can get :thumb

If anybody reads the article it says he's covered the cost of the trek himself :thumb

Simon goes for a nice walk, the charity get a few grand !

Simon stays at home, the charity get nothing !

:nenau

I did the RBLR1000 and my expenses were part of my contribution to the cause. People are happy to contribute if you are doing something unusual and as mentioned here it raises awareness.

Raising money costs money. I think that most people would be surprised at the 'admin' costs of most of the well known charities. And how much of each pound donated actually get to where most people think it is going to. One charity took 80 pence out of every pound for running costs.

How do you think most high street charities finance shops, mail shots etc,etc. At least Demongroover is upfront and MacMillan is getting a few grand that if it was not for him it wouldn,t have.

Its not how it is raised. The problem is that it has to be raised in the first place for services that should be already well financed by taxes and national insurance

Back
Top Bottom