Dockgate 20 and Thames Valley Harley (Slough)??

Tom

Reaction score
Is the Harley Davidson market going down the toilet?

These were big and well established shops .. they just went bust??

Was it just this shop or is the whole leather chaps thing going under?

Dockgate 20 Ltd who ran both these sites went into administration late last year.

I don't think its restricted to H-D though - a frightening number of dealers for various bike marques have gone to the wall in the past 6mths.

When i was in Warr's last month they seemed to be doing a roaring trade but i suppose there will always be casualties at this moment in time :nenau

Dealers

The bike market in December was 31% down on Dec 2009.

Also, I think H-D has been pressurising some Dealers to move to better locations - Silverstone H-D told me that H-D wanted them to move to Milton Keynes, so they relinquished the franchise themselves (now Kawasaki and Victory).

There is a recession on and a lot of people I meet reckon the worst is yet to come....

A

i heard the reason dock gate 20 went down was that they had their harley franchise removed for getting caught flogging bikes to europe, against HD rules.

HD are in are in all sorts of problems ... due to sub prime laons driving bikles sales for the last 10 years and their down finance division ....
To set up a dealership you had to invest nearly a million ( or at least thats what Silverstone told me)
Personally, I would guess the ones that are doing well rely quite heavily of the retail/ fashion/ dog bandana side of the business

PS there seem to be loads of bike dealers going tits up, it's not just reserved for HD badly assembled offerings

Dockgate 20 had a less than brilliant reputation for customer service as well. Their business model appeared to be based on hitting some huge volume targets for bike sales and they really weren't geared to deliver the kind of backup you'd expect after paying £17,000+ on a bike.

HD will go through the same pains it always has during a recession. Now, more than ever, their bikes are toys rather than transport (there's allways one exception that proves the rule :blast ). Consequently people won't be renewing at the same rate as a couple of years ago.

Warrs and other similar operations with great reputations will do well, but they work at it. :rob

Tom

This is your opportunity to BUY the Harley you have been talking about and secretly wanting:drool

You will be in good company so just go for it. Reading the posts above, there may be some good deals around.

(As we discussed at The Ace, there are also winter opportunities on fleabay!).

So carpe diem...spring is close :beerjug:

Dockgate 20

If anyone is interested now reopened as Southampton Harley Davidson .

You's right Mutley.

Dockgate 20 had a less than brilliant reputation for customer service as well. Their business model appeared to be based on hitting some huge volume targets for bike sales and they really weren't geared to deliver the kind of backup you'd expect after paying £17,000+ on a bike.

HD will go through the same pains it always has during a recession. Now, more than ever, their bikes are toys rather than transport (there's allways one exception that proves the rule :blast ). Consequently people won't be renewing at the same rate as a couple of years ago.

Warrs and other similar operations with great reputations will do well, but they work at it. :rob

I thinks you's right on the less than brilliant bit. buy a new bike from them and they stop talkin to ya, not even a hello when you walk in the shop. Had that treatment so did a few mates. Hope new owners are better,.
Jake, 1200 GSA, & harley crossbones. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom