New VRT Process & Frame Numbers

essjay

Reaction score
Quick question lads.....

I bought a bike this week that is on UK plates. It's a 1984 bike so is 27 years old. I figure the frame has been repainted at some stage and we can't find the frame number. I have the old V5 and all that.

When going to re-register the bike, I presume under the new rules I have to bring it to an NCT centre? Will they look for the frame number?

If I can't find it I doubt they will. Can I perhaps get a plate made up with the VIN according to the V5? Also it has a newer engine in it so the engine number doesn't match the V5.

Fecking €95 VRT on a 27 year old bike....

Cheers....

Quick question lads.....

I bought a bike this week that is on UK plates. It's a 1984 bike so is 27 years old. I figure the frame has been repainted at some stage and we can't find the frame number. I have the old V5 and all that.

When going to re-register the bike, I presume under the new rules I have to bring it to an NCT centre? Will they look for the frame number?

If I can't find it I doubt they will. Can I perhaps get a plate made up with the VIN according to the V5? Also it has a newer engine in it so the engine number doesn't match the V5.

Fecking €95 VRT on a 27 year old bike....

Cheers....
They certainly checked the numbers on the two bikes I brought in, and that was before the VRT changes.

Never once have they even looked at bikes I registered. It got to the stage where I stopped bringing the bikes to the tax office

Pain in the ass now to bring in a bike and as far as I know they will charge you for each time you don't have your T's crossed etc.
I have a 55 year old bike and went about geting the logbook for it to get it taxed. 2 weeks later all the paper work came back saying I must re-register it as they have no record of the original number.( last taxed '72)
The last thing I want is a 56-C-**** number on it :nenau I don't know how to get by this one.

The last thing I want is a 56-C-**** number on it :nenau I don't know how to get by this one.

Yeah, Jim I know what you mean - going around with a C reg would be a real head wrecker, people would be jumping to conclusions. :D

You're welcome to use my address which would give you a WW reg - much, much better :hide

will ask uncle pat - going over tomorrow........

i rode him over a cb175 and it was put onto a zv plate

find the club of whatever the bike is and ask for where the tags are??

xl honda? gpz?? :D

there are places here that will do you vin as long as you have docs (restored cars have this problem)

find the club of whatever the bike is and ask for where the tags are??

No joy. I know exactly where the old tag should be. I think that maybe back then the VIN number were punched into the frame. So if the frame was since powdercoated it may have filled in the numbers. Might have to sand down the frame a bit.

Like this:

img0176az.jpg

Give me a call Essjay - PM me if you don't still have my no. I've been making some enquiries and I'll pass on what I've learned.

Back
Top Bottom