990 Adv V K1300r

paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys

had the K over a year, really like it, but fancy a change.

What do you guys think will I find the suspension a bit soft after the K.
Do the 990's have a fuel gauge.

Cheers

Hi Paddy,the 990 doesnt have a fuel guage,it has a light and a countdown odometer,the suspension is great i dont think you;d find it to soft,handles fantastic and it is multi adjustable.

Hi Paddy,

I think you will find the main differences between the K13 and KTM ADV are :-

ADV PRO's

* Better riding position for visibility of road - ie your sat higher up and can see further down the road to plan your corners.
I can not emphasise strongly enough how advantageous this is when making "progress" down a nice twisty road!
* Totally unfazed by the condition of the road surface
* Slightly comfier riding position
* Ability to carry more luggage
* Tyres will last a lot longer than the K13 !!

ADV CON's

* A lot more wind buffeting - this may get on your nerves after a while.
* Weaker brakes and front suspension dive ( but you'll get used to this )
* May not be as economical as the K13

You really need to try one as they are not everyone's cup of tea, I've ridden both the K13 and KTM ADV's quite a bit, even had a test ride at Jefferies to compare K13 to the twin cam GS's, link below :-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240506

Might be worth a read as a lot of the points can translate directly to K13 vs KTM ADV, I have spent quite a bit of time travelling with two guys who own KTM ADV's the bikes are about 4 - 5 years old and seem pretty bulletproof, they have about 18 - 20k miles on them and both their owners don't have a bad word to say about them, also have been very reliable, one guy lives in Germany :ronno and takes his off road quite a bit and the finish looks bulletproof considering the abuse he's given it.

The experience of these two guys was formative in my decision to buy a KTM SMT earlier this year in preference to a GS, as I no longer ride off road I thought this suited my needs better than an KTM ADV, better brakes and road biased suspension and nice sticky tyres!

A test ride will tell you everything you need to know.

Best of luck,:thumb2

Poucher

Talk about a swing from one end of the spectrum to the other..... I would have to have a good think to find two bikes that are further apart from each other.:D

ADV V K13

Thanks for all the replies.

I should have said I owned a 950 Adv back in 2004, so I am not totally in the blind as it were.

One of my reasons for thinking of swapping back to a KTM is mentioned above.
Road surface. In the south here the A roads are in poor condition and I thought going back to this style would make sense as I dont see the roads improving.

And how often do I need a bike that will do 170MPH.

Cheers

Paddy.:aidan

The state of the roads up here was one of the main reasons I swapped my 954 Fireblade for the SMT, although I loved the Blade it just didn't cope very well with the knackered roads, the SMT does them loads better and hence is quicker.

On a ride out last Sunday and a young buck on his 848 Ducati just could not live with the SMT on the twisty bumps, broke his heart it did :D:D

990 v k13R

Well picked up the KTM today, a sad fairwell to the K.

But found the ride home more enjoyable/comfortable

Much better road presence. Engine noise/power will need a bit of getting used too.

Looks the business with the Akros, full panniers.

Cheers Paddy:aidan

Well picked up the KTM today,

Is it a post 09 model then?

The 2011 fuel map (only available for 09 bikes onward) makes the throttle smoother I'm told. :nenau

Would be interested to see how it compares to your old 950. Would eventually like to change my nice 950 for a newer 990 but not until the FI is better.

:thumb2

Hi

Yeah, i cannot remember much about the 950 as i had it about 6years ago.

Its a 10 plate, but an 09 model.

I think the fuelling is fine in this bike now.

Having had a few BMWs since inc twins and a 800gs i have stalled it a few times, but from memory my 800 did that as well.

Gearbox is better than a bm and clutch action very light, really like the positve handling, even on the scorpions.

Will post again when i have done a few miles.

Cheers

Paddy

Back
Top Bottom