Anyone gone from a 800gs to a 950/990

jasext

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
or even the other way round ?

Thoughts and input from guys who have actually done this switch please :beerjug:

Switch

Hi J

I'm sorry mate but BMW 800GS owners aren't man enough to even to think of owning a KTM, not going to happen, i would do the man'ly thing and delete this post......:comfort

Regards Big RB:beer:

I've owned both, I have had a 950 adventure and I currently own a 950 SM; but I did run an 800GS for a year...

The is simply no comparison, but I will try to be balanced... Er no I can't be, the 950, in either adventure of SM flavour is different league, the 800 doesnt even warrent comparison, it is worse in every respect!

If you want to travel on it go for the adventure, I did 20,000 miles round the world on mine and it survived with only a couple of hiccups... The SM will do the job but you will get a bit more battered due to the lack of screen etc, that said it will be more a laugh because it handles better with the small front wheel, and my god it turns quickly!!!

The finish of the 950 is better, the 800 was really ropey, and started to look is age after about a year, my SM is now on 14,000 miles and still cleans up like new.

Most 950s will now have the common issues sorted out, read through here and get a feel for them... The only thing I have experienced is a failed clutch master cylinder; happened to me in the desert in Iran which was awkward, but it got fixed, I have not had any issues on the SM. Both types are really easy to live with and not uncomfortable, actually both are much more comfortable than the 800. Servicing is not too horrific, I have just had the 13500 mile one done and it cost 150 quid-ish I think, the 9000 / 18000 ones are a bit more cos of the valves but not an issue.

If you get one bin the exhausts as they run hot and are heavy...

I havent really said much about the 800 as there is nothing to say, it does what it does well, but is dull and not as good. Just buy the 950 and don't look back!!!!

PS, just seen you mention 950 / 990... Go for the 950, the carbs make is a much better propostion than the 990 with its injection. I think it is better now, but the 950 is perfect!!

Hi J

I'm sorry mate but BMW 800GS owners aren't man enough to even to think of owning a KTM, not going to happen, i would do the man'ly thing and delete this post......:comfort

Twat lol.

I have had a 950 ADV S, probably the best bike I've ever owned, and I currently have an old LC4 400E which I've 'ADVd' with a big tank, big carb, and other special little things.. it's probably the bike that I get most fun out of riding ...

My main ride is an F800GS which is probably the most competent 'all-rounder', but sometimes is lacking in the thrills department.

For my thrills I have a '99 GSXR 750K1 track bike which has had the bollocks tuned off it giving 139 at the wheel...

If I had to have just one of these, it would probably be the 950...

G

Rode an 800 at knockhill this year on the off road area and was very impressed,So i took one out for a test run on the road,it was ok ,i thought it felt a bit stifled around the 80mph mark.Came off a bit dissapointed,this was comparing it to my 950sm.The 950sm has a much more responsive engine,always plenty of power,handling is superb and flatters your riding.I find it very comfy and after fitting a screen and gel seat can do big mileage easily.

800GS

I had a 800GS for 6 months, bought it before I d even ridden it there was so much hype at the launch.

What can I say about it as it was 3yrs ago, great fun, amazing on fuel, awful seat, cheap build quality comapred to the bigger bikes in BMW s range, add on components expensive.

Still seems to sell well second hand, I think I would describe it as a budget GS. Some rust showing at 6 moths when at the time my '99GS 850 had none.?

Would I buy another?. no unless fuel hits a fiver a litre.

Would I buy another?. not until fuel hits a fiver a litre.

fixed that for you.

I can confirm they "make" petrol. Went away on my 950 SE - mate had an 800GS and he was getting over 200 miles per tank (once I think he hit 220) , which is only 15 litres. Either that or he was nicking petrol out of mine when I wasn't looking!

cheers

Markie

Hi J

I have owned two F800GSs. I took one down to Morocco via Spain and Portugal for seven weeks (including mud roads through the Middle Atlas with full luggage) and abused another on Sailsbury plain and local green lanes - a total of 15000 miles on both bikes. They were both excellent bikes that did all that was asked with plenty in reserve. The F800GS suspension works very well both slowly and at speed over rough terrain and the bike is light and responsive off and on road. Fuel consumption is around 60 mpg with legal road riding. They are build to take punishment off road without failing and the suspension, considred soft by many, really works off road. I had to sell my second 800GS to keep the wolf from the door in August but have just bought a KTM 990 (1998 reg). Why the change? It was the right price at the right time for me and seems more focussed on the off-road-with-luggage side ... and there is the image to consider (yes, I am very vain!). It is not a better general purpose bike and the mpg leaves something to be desired. Would I buy anothet F800GS? Yes. Am I happy with my purchase ... yes!!!

Jase we have spoke on the XT660 site before ive had 3 800GS,s now 3 XT660,s and numerious others incl 950SE the 800GS is a cracking bike really like them the ones ive had have never let me down and with a bit of modding do really well in every situation, I just sold a really well sorted 800GS to buy the 990ADV and must say the 800 seems a bit dull in comparison with the 990 the suspension on the 990 is better but the fuel consumption is MUCH worse
I love the 990 would I buy another 800 yes but not at the moment :D

... the 800 seems a bit dull in comparison with the 990 the suspension on the 990 is better but the fuel consumption is MUCH worse

I have only had my 990 Adventure (went for a 2007 model in the end) for a couple of days and ridden a couple of hundred miles but I have to agree with the above ... so far :)

Back
Top Bottom