Numpty question alert: Inner tubes.

ExpatinIstanbul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Please feel free to poke fun and offer copious levels of ridicule should this be the stupidest question since the Stupid Brothers entered the Guinness Book of Records for the stupidest amount of stupidity in one stupid day.

When the serious off-roaders among you change your knobblies, do you also put in a new inner tube, or if it's not damaged do you just use the same one again?

I have used the same heavy-duty Michelin rear tube in my Honda for at least 4 tyres now.
Mark

And you are thinking of going off road with a question like that!

Tyre levers
Chain split link
Zip ties

Yes good point.

Anyone asking a question because they're not sure about something (and plenty of on-line tyre vendors make you believe you do need new tubes with new tyres so it's far from being a daft question) should definitely not be allowed off road.

Ever.

PG
:thumb2

Only if a tube is punctured or worn out does it get changed on my bikes.
I never repair an inner tube. Once holed it's binned. With running lower pressures, every wheel revolution causes in the tyre and tube moving against each other. A repaired tube will therefore peel of the glued patch and result in another flat.
At initial tyre fitting, put in good quality heavy duty tubes. In you pack carry two cheap standard tubes, new ones are packed tightly and take up hardly any room at all.
No doubt someone will be here in a mo preaching about fitting mousses. Mousses are not speed rated nor load rated, therefore illegal on roads in Europe. They also generate excessive heat at speed on tarred roads, resulting in premature failure.

T.

I would go off road on a bike, I'm not convinced a question would have the right handling characteristics. But thanks for your concern anyway.

Thanks for your replies. I needed some clarification to determine the usability of a puncture prevention product in tubed off road tyres.

A repaired tube will therefore peel of the glued patch and result in another flat
T.

thats not true at all :rob i and all my mates used to always fix puctures with patches. if its done correctly ie using sand paper and chalk ect very very rarely do the fail. thats why its been used the world over for every type of vehicle.
and this was for low pressure use too , racing motox, enduro, trials and greenlaning.:thumb

Also to save carrying 2 innertubes whilst say greenlaning or enduro just take 1 21" tube which can be used in a 17-18 or 19" wheel as a get me method:eek:

It's not slime.

I need to run some some tests to see if Puncturesafe, the extra heavy duty grade, will work in tubed tyres that are put through their paces off road. This will be more of a "get you home" scenario that a permanent repair.

Back
Top Bottom