Triumph Tiger 1050

Rob J

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
just wandering what the collective thinks of the Triumph.

I am looking for a bike for road use only.

BTW I currently have an F800

Great engine, good road manners and decent rim / tyre sizes, IMO a great fun do it all road bike.

Tiger 1050

Guys,

Having read the various replies it sounds as though I should scrap the idea of getting a Tiger and just keep my F800GS.

However, I should/will take a 1050 out for a test ride for no other reason but to scratch that particular itch.

Many thanks for your thoughts/feedback. Much appreciated.

Rob :thumb

Dont if it helps but I know two fellas who have both got a 1050 and an 800 each. They both say that the 1050 is only kept for two-up trips and that the 800 is used in every other case.

The Tiger has a great engine but soggy suspension (as does the non-ESA R1200GS) and a very high and exposed pillion position. The heat shield on the exhaust also dug into SWMBO's ankle. We bought the ESA GS in the end as it just felt much more refined and higher quality :thumb2

I took out Tiger 1050 and KTM 990SMT on the same day. The Triumph felt 'baggy' and bottomed out on one particular corner, but the engine was nice enough. The KTM was fantastic :bounce1, nuff said.

I had a Tiger 1050, really great engine, handles well, but rear suspension could be a little tauter, front end is OK. Toured France on it, very confy and economical on fuel over all types of riding.

Pillion perch is crap, way too high and exposed, Mrs Longdog never felt secure on the back. Can't see any reason why the pillion seat is so high, it's just stupid.

Oh yes, I wrote mine off, had a p*ssing competition with a van coming in the opposite direction and I ended up on hospital food.

By the way, Triumph announced just before Christmas that new Tiger 1050s will have "improved rear suspension"

Ive got a 2010 1050SE, personally i think its a great bike, I think of it as a big fast supermoto capable of 200 miles between stops, a stonking motor that pulls like a train and one of the best soundtracks ever, Ive spent a bit of money on mine just to get it up to the level i want, like others have said the suspension is crap, I've had both ends done.... superb.

Just go and ride one..

Interesting replies, I`ve been considering a second-hand one as a possible replacement for my 07` GS.
I`d be interested to know how are they on the reliability front.

I bought a 1050 new in 2007, it did about 14,000 trouble free miles until I swapped it along with my GS1150 in 2009 for a Guzzi Stelvio.
The Tiger was fast, reliable, returned regularly 50mpg, easy to maintain (I did the 12,000ml service myself) I found the Tiger to be very comfortable, the suspension needed to be experimented with until I finally got the handling sorted out.
They are a great bike to own and well suited to long days in the saddle, I occassionly took my wife out on it, she thought it comfy enough for the odd day out.
I have no hesitation in reccommending this motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom