melvyn hunter seats

shrek 2

just sent my seat from my 1150 gs to melvyn hunter to be recovered fed up with numb bum he did say something interesting on the phone he is getting a lot of seats from the 1200 coming in , will let you all know what i think of seats when they come back

i got him to make mine flatter than he normally does after trying the "normal" melvin for a couple of thousand miles & hating it.

also got him to firm it up. there was a question mark over whether it was softer than normal in the first place at request of the original customer (do you know mark?)
big improvement in posture & basic comfort.

not done any long journeys on it yet though.

not at my behest

No I didn't ask him to make it softer than normal but it does explain why it was such an unsatisfactory experience. Having sent it back twice already for reshaping postage was getting expensive but in all fairness that was probably my fault for not being precise in my briefing to him. Melvyn's work is only as good as the brief you give him!!

Re: not at my behest

mpriestley said:
Having sent it back twice already for reshaping postage was getting expensive!

third time lucky i hope

bought a used MH seat and thought they were absolute pants.

While i had them, i got my original seats modified as exact copies and re-foamed into the bargain.

Melvyn Hunter - how much a pair ??

Portchester Timmers - £60 / pair

Anyone else tried them yet ?

get yourself a Corbin seat, you'll never use another again It has exclusive cell foam made by Corbin that moulds to fit your arse over a few miles, result is amazing. take a look at the picture on www.corbin.com under browse BMW. Battsitinis supplied mine and had it lowered too! 08702 250404- is their number

i have only heard good reports up until now about melvins seats got worried now £220 is a lot to still have a sore arse still will have it back for the trip to laurences pad so i will know by the end of the day, will let ya know :(

Had the pillion seat done by Melvin for the missus and she says it has transformed it - no more sore backside on a run. Money well spent.

Had my 1150 seat 'Melvined' last January.

LOVE IT!

Bought a second hand Melvyn'd seat with a heating element in off one of the members here. I thought the heating thing was just a gimmick, however having used it last winter a fair bit I've got to say it's the dogs danglies. And works wonders for the 'farmers'

looking forward to getting it back, to be honest anything has got to be better than the standard one. my bum was aching after an hour ! had thought about a corbin but twice the price was a bit much . :monkeypiz :phazar :ukgser

How long

Melvyn did my seat in 48 hours, why is it taking so long?

The seat was for my 1st GS and I remember riding 480 miles that day, Melvyn then called me and said it was ready so I rode another 100 round trip. My Arse was sooooo sore after getting to COventry I was grateful for the new seat, which prolonged travelling time, but didn't solve numb bum, GSA seat is actually the best seat I've had so far.

I bought a 2nd hand Melvyned seat. My wife thought it was much better than standard but I found the riders seat was too thinly padded as it was a lowered version. I got a local upholsterer to add some extra padding but it made it too high for me (although it was significantly better than the OE item)

Cheers

Dick

he got my seat on thursday said it would be done over weekend back with me tues/ weds, missed bike today still still had new wheels fitted to car looks like a pimp mobile now :smokeboun

Miles on original?

I used to get the num bum syndrome on my standard GS but over the last few thousand miles I've had no problems at all (15k on the clock now) I hadn't actually noticed that things had improved until I realised that I was no longer getting the sore cocyx :D I've recently done a 550 mile day without problem. Maybe the seat has to bed to your shape, or thinking about it the NN 1 1/4" barbacks may have helped by repositioning the body slightly. Could be a cheap fix, more miles &/or £25 quid barbacks - appeals to the Yorkshireman in me ;)

Ade

Try spending £30 on a set of Nippy Normans bar risers before spending out on new seats. They certainly transform things for me :)

Twotter said:
Try spending £30 on a set of Nippy Normans bar risers before spending out on new seats. They certainly transform things for me :)

I've just fitted NN's bar risers - already noticed a big improvement in my 'posture' on the bike; too early yet to report on the coccyx effect...................

Comfy seat

Using an Airhawk which is by far the comfiest seat i`ve tried over a long distance (3-400 miles in a day).But has anybody else got one and solved the keeping it in position problem.I`ve tried straps and so on but they`re awkward to get in the right place again when you remove the seat and sticky pads just don`t grip enough.Any (sensible)suggestions welcome.

got seat back today had to put seat in lower position , dont know if its better yet long ride on sunday will tell me one way or other . i suppose the increased height means more padding.

Back
Top Bottom