GS TROPHY

bellyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I wondered if there are any GSer's going in for the GS Trophy this year?

Also if any has done it in the past, just seeking info/advice?? cheers :D

Hi,

I wondered if there are any GSer's going in for the GS Trophy this year?

Also if any has done it in the past, just seeking info/advice?? cheers :D

Avoid alcohol the night before - completely. What do you say, Stevie73? :thumb

I may be crap too, so for me its all about just having a go and lots of fun,,

If any one is interested or signs up for it, let me know if you like and we can compare how crap we are over a pint,:beer:,,on saturday as Im sure Ill never make it to a final..unless theres a high score for tiddlywinks:)

i am currently searching for a cheap dakar,if i get one in time i will definitely enter,should be loads of fun.[if there are spaces left]
will still be going to watch whatever happens.

if you are serious about entering,keep away from the bar the entire weekend!

i have done a few gs challenges,all in south africa when i lived there,so would be great to have a go here.
have managed to finish in the top ten on all the gs bikes, HP2, gs1150 adventure, 1100gs,x challenge,dakar,it was a fantastic experience and for me the dakar is the best bike of all.
good luck to all that enter.

Last edited:
GS Trophy

Any idea of the format?

last i looked there seemed to still be over 100 places available (out of 150?)

Last edited:
format

below is from the web site, so sounds like first day will be road based with special tests (changing tyres, engine rebuild, navigate to hidden treasure, obstacle course, kayaking race etc!) along the way, day 2 (for the lucky few) will be arena based, with final 5 competing for top 3 spot. guess non-participation in a special means minimuim points (otherwise cunning plan!)

Rules

A briefing will be given to all participants on the day of the competition where the final instructions relating to the course will be outlined.
Participants are offered the opportunity of not partaking in any stage or obstacle and can decline to take any test; instead they will receive maximum points from this test.
The Organiser’s rules are to be adhered to at all times. Infringements or riding on unauthorised tracks is strictly forbidden and will result in exclusion from the event and the venue.
Infringements of conditions and endangering any other participant can also result in a competitor being excluded from the event and the venue.
The event includes two riding days on which participants are required to follow a defined route which is largely asphalted. Along this route, participants will find a number of special tests which also act as check points. The entire course can be completed on normal tyres.

The BMW Motorrad UK GS Trophy Qualifier 2012 is an event designed for motorcycling enthusiasts who wish to experience the sporting challenge of the “GS” with like minded individuals. There is particular emphasis on the fact that this is not a racing event.

The event is not a timed competition as such, although time limits will have to be imposed. It is a test of team work, mental and physical ability; combined with riding skills over varying terrain.

Some of the challenges may involve tests of:

Technical riding skill both on and off road
Navigation
Mechanical competence
Team work
All the challenges are aimed at being fun and will be devised so that all riders of all abilities can try them.

In order to take part in the competition, participants must be prepared to subject themselves to challenges which go beyond everyday motorcycling. This includes dirt and mud situations as determined by the weather and as is common in off-road motorcycle activities.

Competitors will be challenged with riding various different course sections and tasks. These tasks may be designed to test motorcycling skills and/or knowledge as well as other tasks which may have nothing to do with motorcycling whatsoever.

All participants will take part during the full day of Saturday 19th May. The finals of the BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK will take place on the morning of Sunday 20th May 2012 in the Showground Main Arena. The top riders from the event will compete on standard F 800 GS motorcycles provided by the Organisers on a revised course, that will require all their skills. The best five scores from the morning sessions will then compete in the Super Final to decide which three of these will be selected to represent the UK in the International Final of GS Trophy.

wise or not, Ive entered so if any one wishes to pitch alongside..Ill be the one riding a GS???oh Ill be in a tent,, its green.. and my bike is Black...

so that narrows it down ?....

seriously if anyone is going or has done it and can offer some advice (other than not to drink to much :beer: ) Id appreciate a message..

hi.
well i didnt manage to secure a bike in time so i wont be able to enter which is a pity as i really wanted to.
in the meantime, practice lots of figure eights with the handlebars at full lock,without putting your feet down,amazingly in south africa this really simple test in a Very confined space was how the event organizers quickly got the numbers down !
also balancing with the front wheel against a wall or pole,once again without putting your feet down.
if they do this test of balance control,make sure you hit the pole,wall or whatever hard enough to compress the front forks,its easier to hold the bike on the back brake with the front trying to bounce back.
then riding along a telegraph pole [on the ground].....
because the course is usually in an small arena most of the tests are simple balance tests, that the crowd love and they can see who has control of their bikes.

once you passed these three simple tests of balance you get to go on to the proper test in the arena.
my pet hates were riding over about 10 metres of car tyres on the ground and the see-saw.
have fun ! what bike do you own ?

i have hundreds of photos, i will try and dig them up.

Last edited:
wise or not, Ive entered so if any one wishes to pitch alongside..Ill be the one riding a GS???oh Ill be in a tent,, its green.. and my bike is Black...

so that narrows it down ?....

seriously if anyone is going or has done it and can offer some advice (other than not to drink to much :beer: ) Id appreciate a message..

signed up
i'll drop you a pm with my mobile

looks like people are keeping cards close to the chest ito format and tips!

cheers
tony

Paid up and entered.:)

Just got to decide whether to ride the bike up there and finish off my TKCs on the road or to stick the bike on trailer behind car.

well thats nearly a team of GSER's,,or should it be a wank of Tossers..?
team shirts could be interesting?
PM'd you

Great News!:D

The Boss, Paul G (BHT) has agreed to my suggestion that we enter as an official UKGSer team, Team Tosser.:D

Paul will do us a deal on Tosser stickers and a T-Shirt or Polo shirt.

Not sure how many we need for an official team as various dealers are entering their own teams.

Will be funny to see the reaction of BMW top brass to a team called Tossers.:D

Lets have some more team members!

Still places left so sign up now!

Team Tossers

Great News!:D

The Boss, Paul G (BHT) has agreed to my suggestion that we enter as an official UKGSer team, Team Tosser.:D

Paul will do us a deal on Tosser stickers and a T-Shirt or Polo shirt.

Not sure how many we need for an official team as various dealers are entering their own teams.

Will be funny to see the reaction of BMW top brass to a team called Tossers.:D

Lets have some more team members!

Still places left so sign up now!

Thought the event was individual entry? Happy to sign up for Team Tosser and even buy a shirt! PM with details. thanks Tony

event format & prizes

got this in the email:

BMW GS Trophy UK Qualifier prizes and challenges revealed! Join us on 18-20 May at the BMF Show.
“The GS Trophy UK Qualifier is going to be packed with challenges and activities. From changing a tyre with basic tools to navigating with maps and tackling off-road obstacles, riders will be able to try every section, no matter what their experience.
“Our instructors will be on-hand to offer advice at each section and stage, so even if it’s your first time, you’ll leave with some useful new skills. You may even ride away with a fantastic prize, and three riders will earn a place in Team UK for the South American final of the GS Trophy in November!"
- BMW Off Road Skills Chief Instructor Simon Pavey
BMW GS riders of all abilities will have dozens of opportunities to win BMW-themed prizes over the weekend, ranging from clothing and accessories up to VIP British Superbike tickets and BMW Off Road Skills riding experiences.
The GS Trophy judges, which include Dakar-racer Simon Pavey, will be awarding prizes for ability both on and off the bike, as well as to riders impressing with their attitude and ‘can-do’ spirit, riders showing the most improvement over the day, the youngest and oldest GS owners and many more categories.
Riding activities will be taking place throughout the day, so when they’re not on the bike, riders and their supporters can relax and enjoy the entertainment and food on offer at the Show, or relax in the dedicated GS Trophy campsite.
Riders will have the chance to advance through the rounds into semi-finals on the Sunday morning, with the finalists going head-to-head in the centre of the BMF Show Arena. The lucky three will represent their nation against riders from over 15 nations in South America in November, and will be defending Team UK’s GS Trophy title from 2010.

2012 BMW GS Trophy UK Qualifier prizes & awards:

- A one- or two-day riding course, courtesy of BMW Off Road Skills

- The next service for your BMW GS paid for by BMW Motorrad

- A choice of a BMW Motorrad helmet (AirFlow 2 / Enduro /

I entered with the GSclubUK team with Cogs my mate John and my brother Dave, I took joint 6th place in the semi final and had to fight over the last place in the final, In the eliminator round i had to do the carousel and collect a ball to put in a bucket.. going well until the sodding ball was missing ! Just not lucky enough for last place in the final but won two-day riding course, courtesy of BMW Off Road Skills ... booked in for spine operation due to slipped disc on the 23rd... (injured before i went to the weekend but competed regardless by the way)
happy days nice shiny medal and a weekend in wales :cool:

I entered with the GSclubUK team with Cogs my mate John and my brother Dave, I took joint 6th place in the semi final and had to fight over the last place in the final, In the eliminator round i had to do the carousel and collect a ball to put in a bucket.. going well until the sodding ball was missing ! robbed of the last place in the final but won two-day riding course, courtesy of BMW Off Road Skills ... booked in for spine operation due to slipped disc on the 23rd... (injured before i went to the weekend by the way)
happy days nice shiny medal and a weekend in wales :cool:

Good skills. Well done.

well done guys, i am really envious of you that competed,how about posting pix ?

Will do as soon as the other members of the GSclubUK who were not competing but offering great support send me some of the photo's as it's difficult to take em when going over barrels :rolleyes: :eek Just thought WHO's got me bleedin camera !!:yikes

Back
Top Bottom