Wilburs Shock & MCT Fork re-work

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got back from having my suspension sorted and got to say I am very impressed, not done much other than ride home so will update later.

Initial impressions are very good, the bike had the top of the range Wilburs shock fitted (same as one I fitted to the GS) and I had the forks looked at.

The shock was built to spec by Wilburs, a couple of MM longer (Gives @ 5mm extra ride height) and sprung for my mix of solo and two-up use (same 150nm spring as they fitted to my GS shock)

The forks (Remember them folks?) took a bit of messing with, MCT reckoned it sat too high (too much pre-load built in to the setup) and the spring was a bit stiff on the stiffer part of the dual rate, so out went the Yamaha springs and in came linear springs with zero pre-load. The watered down cooking oil Yamaha use as suspension fluid was swapped out for some top quality 10wt suspension fluid.

As soon as the forks went in the sag with me onboard was bang on 60mm (Perfect - rider sag should be 1/3rd of total travel) this meant the front was also sitting about 5-10mm lower as well which should aid steering.

As soon as I rode it the difference was obvious, both front and rear.

The back end now just seems sublime, I never found any problems with the OEM shock other than two-up, so was surprised to instantly notice a huge difference, hard to describe as it feels really plush, but also really nicely controlled and you can feel it tracking the road, and also sense exactly what the rear tyre is up too, it also seems to soak up bumps much better. This setup is far nicer than the (almost identical) Wilburs felt on the GS - probably due the Yamaha's Rising rate over the GS' primitive direct bolted shock ?

The forks are now MUCH better, I always found them a bit clunky (not much better than telelever on GS) and prone to diving, they still dive quite a bit, but feel far more controlled, not surprisingly they also feel very linear, I reckon before they just crashed down to the stiffer rate and then stopped - now they feel really nice, especially when braking on bumps - but even in a straight line the soak up the bumps much nicer, it makes the OE setup feel as if there is a load of stiction, the difference really is night and day.

The combined effect is the bike just seems to float along the road, small imperfections are entirely eliminated and bigger bumps that once put a shock up the spine are now 90% absorbed. Feedback from both tyres is enhanced and cruising seems more relaxed.

I still miss the televers lack of dive, and the quicker steering of the GS, but the gap is now much narrower, and overall the ride quality and feedback on this bike is pretty awesome.

I can't wait to get a day on some decent twisties to properly test the setup :bounce1

What did you pay for this upgrade?

Send me a PM if the figure is too embarrassing :)

Whole lot was just over a grand.

Wilburs do two shocks, I got the more expensive, you can then choose options such as ride height adjuster and remote pre-load adjusters.

I think the fork springs are about £80, not sure of exact cost because I just rode it in to MCT and then rode it out again. I had to order the shock as they are custom built, you tell them your weight, your Mrs weight (if you ride two-up) if you tour with luggage etc and they do the maths and build the shock.

MCT checked the fork sag, pulled them apart, worked out the "correct" spring rate / air gap / oil weight, fitted springs, made spacers, put it all back together and then set it all up.

Keep meaning to update this post with some pics - may try and do it tommorow.

Still not ridden two-up with luggage as the Mrs broke her foot a week before we were due to go away, but the bike is definately much nicer both solo and two-up.

The forks feel far nicer on the brakes with loads of feel and bump absorbtion even when braking very hard on rough surfaces, they don't dive so quickly either.

The steering is a bit better as the bike sits higher and sags less, especially two-up and mid corner - the ground clearance issue seems to be pretty much resolved.

I am still convinced the difference when fully loaded will be the biggest as that was what really stretched the OE unit (as it did with the GS) and I am really looking forward to being able to chuck it around when touring as if I were on a solo blast.

Cheers for that Rasher, I will be riding the bike one up more than with pillion, although we do plan to make a trip or two.

will see how I get on but will def keep the "wilburs" in mind

tks.

Back
Top Bottom