SLIM PANNIERS.

GSTourer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2010 RT.................I would like a slimmer set of panniers, anyone know where I can source a set the same as on police bikes AND do you know if they utilise the same fittings as stock panniers?

If not police ones does anyone know of a company which do slimmer panniers?

I have searched the web thingy all to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

I have recently purchased a set of slim lids for my R1200ST which takes the same panniers as the 1200RT & R. I got them from Vehicle Developments who import them from the manufacturers - Nedplex in Holland. Nedplex will supply direct to the UK and depending on the pound/Euro exchange rate it might at times be better sourcing from them.

They are surprisingly not listed on the Vehicle Developments website but it you email them Derek Ray will get back to you. The price was (ouch) £216 inc p&p.

David

BMW do them, they are called 'City panniers'.

Alternatively you could find some from someone who has converted a RTP to civi but the mountings are very different.

I converted mine a while back and got £50 for the panniers and fittings, just so you have a price guide.

I have recently purchased a set of slim lids for my R1200ST which takes the same panniers as the 1200RT & R. I got them from Vehicle Developments who import them from the manufacturers - Nedplex in Holland. Nedplex will supply direct to the UK and depending on the pound/Euro exchange rate it might at times be better sourcing from them.

They are surprisingly not listed on the Vehicle Developments website but it you email them Derek Ray will get back to you. The price was (ouch) £216 inc p&p.

David

David,

Are the lids of good quality.......I read somewhere last night that they were a bit flimsy.

Thanks to everyone for replies and assistance.......lids would appear the easiest and possibly cheapest way to go.

The Nedplex lids are not as robust as the standard BMW lids. The same could be said of the city lids for the R1100/1150/K1200 brick which are no where near as strong as the standard lids.

The police/ambulance version of the R1100/1150 used the same panniers as the civilian version and in London I have seen met bikes with both fat and slim lids.

The police/ambulance version of the R1200RT uses different (top loading) panniers than those used on the RT/ST/R bikes and are not interchangeable without modifications.

Its a trade off and while I flinched at the price of the Nedplex lids I only need to look at a picture of the bike with standard lids to know that other than for long trips away the standard lids will remain in storage.

See link below showing an R1200R with the slim Nedplex lids.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqw931_r-1200-r-with-city-lids_auto

David

The Nedplex lids are not as robust as the standard BMW lids. The same could be said of the city lids for the R1100/1150/K1200 brick which are no where near as strong as the standard lids.

The police/ambulance version of the R1100/1150 used the same panniers as the civilian version and in London I have seen met bikes with both fat and slim lids.

The police/ambulance version of the R1200RT uses different (top loading) panniers than those used on the RT/ST/R bikes and are not interchangeable without modifications.

Its a trade off and while I flinched at the price of the Nedplex lids I only need to look at a picture of the bike with standard lids to know that other than for long trips away the standard lids will remain in storage.

See link below showing an R1200R with the slim Nedplex lids.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqw931_r-1200-r-with-city-lids_auto

David

Many thanks for that David.

Seems Nedplex themselves made the video judging by the advert on the number plate, you'd have thought they'd have made sure the cameraman was sober though, dear me... :rolleyes:

Anyway, slim lids do look good, just more money than I'd like to pay really

I got mine from Derek Ray at Vehicle Developments in Andover.
I've had them on the bike daily for the last 1 1/2 years and 65,000 odd miles.
They have performed without fault and are durable enough for daily use and the odd 3000 mile tour.

I'd reccomend them and Derek for sure.

RTslimpannier03sml.jpg

RTslimpannier02.jpg

RTslimpannier01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom