Extra Lights-which? Fog lights or Driving lights?

simon thomas

www.2ridetheworld.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK time to get some extra lights on to my 1100GS.

I'll be ordering the autoswith and I can sort out a lightbar, however, what type of lights should I get....

...Fog lights or Driving lights?

The bike will be used on a RWT, starting next May 2003, So apart from really being useful they will also have to stand up to a fair amount of abuse.

Advice on bulbs would be great to.

I know there is loads of info throughtout the BB on lights but after a while it all becomes a bit of a blur.

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

Driving lights

If the fogs that bad you can point them down

You'll find a thread that shows how you have them to always come on with the main beam and use an autoswitch so they can come on independently.

Mine only work with the main beam and will be my recomendation the auto switch would just be a nice to have option.

Think about how you flick main beam on an off and ask yourself could this be a two switch option.....it's not

Wreford

low beam

Mine work with the low beam, and have taken to driving with them on all the time. Seems to make people get out of the way.

Simon
I agree with Wreford. I fitted a couple of Halford 'RING' 55w H4 spots [ £39.95 complete with relay and ample wiring loom]. They come on when I use main beam [ whether flashing someone or full on]. Now with the misty/rainy mornings/evenings I have 'painted' them and dip beam with headlamp amber/yellow. Has the same effect as yellow fog lights. Its about £2.50 a small bottle from auto accessory stores - enought to do the normal lenses plus spots about 6 times over. It doesn't wash of - but if you don't want it any more just wipe over with a cloth and Meths! Hell of a lot cheaper than buying different types! Also find traffic sees me more easily as I run on dip and that is yellow [ I give it a couple of coats to get a good strong yellow].
If you go to http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1373 there are various mountings shown and wiring diags.
;)

notadrop said:
Simon
I agree with Wreford. I fitted a couple of Halford 'RING' 55w H4 spots [ £39.95 complete with relay and ample wiring loom]. They come on when I use main beam [ whether flashing someone or full on]. Now with the misty/rainy mornings/evenings I have 'painted' them and dip beam with headlamp amber/yellow. Has the same effect as yellow fog lights. Its about £2.50 a small bottle from auto accessory stores - enought to do the normal lenses plus spots about 6 times over. It doesn't wash of - but if you don't want it any more just wipe over with a cloth and Meths! Hell of a lot cheaper than buying different types! Also find traffic sees me more easily as I run on dip and that is yellow [ I give it a couple of coats to get a good strong yellow].
If you go to http://www.gsclubuk.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1373 there are various mountings shown and wiring diags.
;)

Yeah I agree they are v good. I followed the light bar doc but placed them even further apart. They do seem to get you noticed. I prefer driving with them on as running lights and pointed down. I am even thinking of a second set on High Beam.
Only bummer is one bulb has just gone, damn. Never mind off to halfords and I'll get the yellow stuff.
Notadrop I like the idea of the yellow.

Shameless plug : click on the light logo below.
BTW: notadrop did I mention I have a prototype set on my bike that are connected to brakelights. So now it doesn't just say "I am here" they say "I AM REALLY BLEEDIN' HERE". Bleeding awesome IMHO.

I want i want I want......

Malky
I want some of them AS WELL!!:D
I couldn't find the picture/link? Are they mounted in the tail unit or outer area of indicator unit??

Lights

Get driving lights and wire them independant of the lighting circuit but through the ignition, and have them on ALL the time , they do get seen.

The advantage of this on a RTW trip is you may need them on without your lights, fit an illuminated switch.

Fogs or Spots

Generally, fog lights have a flat beam pattern and spots a round one. I drive with BMW fogs on during the day (the flat pattern adjusted to match the dip beam). My spots are wired to come on with the main beam. Works well for me. All the above share the same bulbs as the headlights on the GS, which also makes carriage of spares uncomplicated...

MikeO:)

Mike O, assuming you have the 1150, does that mean you have six lights on your bike? I assume the alternator has no problem with all six on at the same time? And where did you mount them?

Sorry for so many questions. . .
:)

I've just got a pair of Hella FF50's for £32.90 incuding the fitting kit/relay. I was thinking about a light bar under the beak but don't like the "scaffolding" look so I'm going to put them on my Touratech engine bars.

Any suggestions for mounting brackets for 25mm diameter tubing?

Also, does anyone have an Autoswitch for sale. The one which works off the indicator cancel switch?

Cheers.

jnrobert said:
Mike O, assuming you have the 1150, does that mean you have six lights on your bike? I assume the alternator has no problem with all six on at the same time? And where did you mount them?

Sorry for so many questions. . .
:)

Here's a pic of the set-up. The upper lights are Hella spots (sourced in the USA), the lower pair are the optional Adventure fog lights from BMW. I turn the fogs off at night, running on the standard dip or main beam with spots. In daytime I run with sidelights & the fogs on. No battery/charging probs so far!

Attachments

• belgium0903.jpg
    belgium0903.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 371
Re: I want i want I want......

notadrop said:
Malky
I want some of them AS WELL!!:D
I couldn't find the picture/link? Are they mounted in the tail unit or outer area of indicator unit??

Really. Err OK. Well thing is you see I have only made 2 prototypes fixings (different one for each side of the bike). First attempt was some thin alloy made into a clasp... anyhow it is a fashioned beer can. You won't find pics there are none. I will probably move onto another attempt soon. Problem is I have not been on the bike much recently. Sitting here in the study looking for a job, working out career changes and posting here too much.
Anyhow to cut a long story short I have only tested for about 500 miles in 2 weeks. Sad really last winter I stuck thousands on the bike.
If you want come round have a look. Who knows you could test my second prototypes. Just don't let a BMW car whack them.
Oh and to answer your question they are in the indicators and yes in the outer bit attached to the post.

MIKE OUGHTON said:

Here's a pic of the set-up.

Very nice. So, my next question: What do you think of the official BMW fog's, worth it? (and I think this photo should be submitted for my calendar idea).

Regarding BMW fogs-they are not any better than stuff from Halfords at a quarter of the price!

Ps Ive just posted on the Night Riding thread so you might want to check it out.Theres a link to PIAA site which also shows you the beam pattern of their products.Good stuff but too expensive for me.

THE PICT said:
Regarding BMW fogs-they are not any better than stuff from Halfords at a quarter of the price!

Quite agree. In fact I'd be quite p1ssed off - if I'd paid for them :p

Actually. they give a very good beam pattern, the mounts are excellent & robust, but the brackets on the lamps themselves are reasonably fragile (although they are protected in a spill by the Adventure crash bars). If I was paying, I'd go with Mr Pict's advice & visit Halfords....

Steve,

Got my Hella FF50's from the local auto-electrical store (Ribblesdale Auto Electrics - 01772 555011) here in Preston. They are the local Hella distributor so I got them to order the lights for me. I presume that they sold them at wholesale price rather than retail as they deal mainly with local workshops, etc.

You can check the light pattern of all Hellas on their website. Go to the "Light Tunnel" and have a play.

PIAA's

I mounted my PIAA's directly under the beak as the hepco&becker bars provide an extra 1'' clearance.

Without the bars you could just use an aluminium spacer.

I run the lights with on low beam with an isolating swith which comes with the PIAA wiring loom.

I still have the PIAA wiring diagram if any one is interested.

The Wunderlich bars have a driving light mounting point. If any one wants the bars see the for sale section.

MIKE OUGHTON said:

Quite agree. In fact I'd be quite p1ssed off - if I'd paid for them :p

Actually. they give a very good beam pattern, the mounts are excellent & robust, but the brackets on the lamps themselves are reasonably fragile (although they are protected in a spill by the Adventure crash bars). If I was paying, I'd go with Mr Pict's advice & visit Halfords....

Mike, Quick question

I have just bought the bmw fog light switch that goes on the fork yoke, it looks like it should light up when the lights are on but mine dosen't

Should it light up then ??

Cheers

Chris

Back
Top Bottom