3 Months July onwards Eastern Europe/Russia/Stans poss

jc_bromley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm taking some time away from work this year and are planning on spending 3 months on the bike around Eastern Europe and possibly into the Stans, have a look at these maps- they are more a list of countries to visit rather than a defined route.
I'm planning on Leaving the Uk early July and getting back early (ish) October. I've done a fair bit of touring around Western Europe (France & Spain mostly) and a little bit of Eastern Europe. This trip will be spending time in Germany & countries Eastwards. I'd like to get into Russia and if plans work out some of the Stans as per the maps.
I'm hoping to be staying in hostels/hotels all the way, more hostels than hotels though to keep costs down.
I've considered camping and although not completely out of the planning options it's something I've not done for a very very long time. I wonder if all the hassle of carrying the extra kit really outweighs the benefits. As a novice camper I may of course be missing the point!!
I've no idea what the hostel situation is like in some of the more Eastern countries so perhaps for the Stans I would have to camp, any advice gratefully received.
Also would it be unwise to go that far without carrying the bigger spares such as tyres etc, I wouldn't know where to stop and would end up with half a bike in spares if I'm not careful......doh

I'll be posting here when i'm on the road looking to hook up with other travellers, so if your going to be around anywhere I may be in that time period it would be great to meet up. I'm more than happy to spend the day alone on the bike but some company for beer in the evenings would be more than welcome and would help with my sanity....

So any advice from any of you seasoned travellers about my early plans?, I appreciate at this stage they are a bit general but it's a framework to build upon!!

And if anyone wants to join me you'd be more than welcome!
Thanks for reading,

JC

Hi Petcul, I found your blog a month or so ago, enjoyed reading it a lot. We all need inspiration to do things and you're trip is part of mine ;-)

I need to have a reread to pick out the finer points and find the relevant bits for me. It's a pity it got cut short for you, but as they say the problems turn into stories for when you get home.

Thanks for responding,

JC

Hello JC,

I have done a very similar tour like your two years ago: Hungary-Slovakia-Poland-Lithuania-Latvia-Estonia-Russia-Ukraine 5 weeks, 7500 kilometres. Maybe I can help you. Sorry for my English, first of all.
So all in these countries I would suggest using Coachsurfing. I spent only Ł20 during 5 weeks for accomodation and the hosts are really great people.
If you have a reliable motorcycle line BMW you do not need to carry any unimportant tools, everywhere everybody will help you. Be careful with parking during the night I used to park in secured parking places or garages all the time. Camping is ok, wild camping also ok (I am not sure if this is the correct word, but I mean when you sleep in the forest next to the civilization without paying for this), couchsurfing is the best.
Be prepeared for police, always follow the traffic rules, never speeding and most importantly (especially in Russia and Ukraine) NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO A POLICEMAN!!! Just show him or give him a copy of it, but never give him the original one otherwise they might want some money for giving it back to you. If you do not do anything wrong they let you live.

Should you need any further advice let me know!
Istvan

Hello JC,

I have done a very similar tour like your two years ago: Hungary-Slovakia-Poland-Lithuania-Latvia-Estonia-Russia-Ukraine 5 weeks, 7500 kilometres. Maybe I can help you. Sorry for my English, first of all.
So all in these countries I would suggest using Coachsurfing. I spent only Ł20 during 5 weeks for accomodation and the hosts are really great people.
If you have a reliable motorcycle line BMW you do not need to carry any unimportant tools, everywhere everybody will help you. Be careful with parking during the night I used to park in secured parking places or garages all the time. Camping is ok, wild camping also ok (I am not sure if this is the correct word, but I mean when you sleep in the forest next to the civilization without paying for this), couchsurfing is the best.
Be prepeared for police, always follow the traffic rules, never speeding and most importantly (especially in Russia and Ukraine) NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO A POLICEMAN!!! Just show him or give him a copy of it, but never give him the original one otherwise they might want some money for giving it back to you. If you do not do anything wrong they let you live.

Should you need any further advice let me know!
Istvan

Istvan, all good advice, many thanks!!

JC

Back
Top Bottom