1100GS Front Cover

topcat2006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My front cover is badly corroded and pitted. Short of getting a new cover has anyone used any filler and what would be suggested?

Thanks

Tom

I wouldn't bother trying to fill it - it'll be next to impossible to get a decent finish without a load of work and time.

I'd just remove the corrosion and bubbled powder coat and paint it with Hammerite smooth.

Or buy a new / good used front cover...

Thought the front cover was plastic?

Do you mean the front of the crankcases?

Thought the front cover was plastic?

Do you mean the front of the crankcases?

Most people refer to the alloy front casing that covers the crank cases and carries the alternator as the 'front cover' (its a seperate casting on all oilhead BMW's) rather than the black plastic bit that covers the alternator belt and pulleys. I assumed that's what the OP was referring to ;) (especially as he mentioned corrosion and pitting...)

Most people refer to the alloy front casing that covers the crank cases and carries the alternator as the 'front cover' (its a seperate casting on all oilhead BMW's) rather than the black plastic bit that covers the alternator belt and pulleys. I assumed that's what the OP was referring to ;) (especially as he mentioned corrosion and pitting...)

Yeah...it's been a while you know. ;)

Was just thinking in Airhead mode of the whole one piece 'front cover' versus the sectioned Oilhead one,and the term 'front cover' made the plastic cover spring to mind. :thumb

Yep - I agree - thats what I meant.

Might just get the sander out and see if I can tidy it up a bit and then spray it.

Is Hammerite silver still the paint of choice?

Tom

Is that a Scotchbrite wheel on the Dremel? Was looking for something similar a few months back but couldn't find anything.

It is indeed a scotchbrite wheel but it's homemade.

I just cut circles out of scotchbrite pads and fixed them to the rubber thing used to mount the little sanding drums. Just the job for getting between the fins and into the hard to get to places around the front cover.

It is indeed a scotchbrite wheel but it's homemade.

I just cut circles out of scotchbrite pads and fixed them to the rubber thing used to mount the little sanding drums. Just the job for getting between the fins and into the hard to get to places around the front cover.
Thanks - hadn't thought of that. :beerjug:

Spent the evening rubbing the engine and the wishbone down and used a tin of hammerite silver up on them. Hope it looks good.

Still waiting for my heads to come back - they will need some hammerite on them when they arrive too.

Front cover looks badly pitted but looking better with paint on. Gives the bime character and I reckon once I put a crus catcher on you wont see it anyway.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom