Temp in the Alps in September

Bails

Reaction score
Hi I am planning on riding the alps in September, first two weeks. Being an Aussie I have no idea what to expect re temp and as such would like and idea so as to pack the correct riding gear. I have a BMW streetguard suit and was thinking this would be OK with the thermal liners removed and just adding under garments as required. Is this a reasonable idea or should I take better gear ?
I have Rukka As well but do find it a little heavier and warmer even when the linings are removed. As I need to post the gear back after my ride weight is an issue, but then again I don't want to freeze my balls off.

Hi Bails
Temps can be anywhere between close to freezing if you're unlucky, upto mid 20's C.

Layering is the best idea, especially as the weather can turn in minutes :thumb

Exactly as Neil said.

Leaving aside that ‘the Alps’ covers a huge area from France, through Germany, Austria and Italy and across vast height differences, you could find just about anything, particularly as you head towards the end of the month. We went to the Dolomites in late September, when the temperatures fluctuated between 25 c in the valleys to -2 c at the top of the highest passes, mixed in with very light flecks of snow. One certainty is that it will drop cool to cold’ish when the sun drops behind the mountains each evening.

Expect the best, prepare for the worst, is a good motto to follow. You won’t need to go berserk or pack snow shoes. Layers are good, particularly things that can double up on and off the bike. For instance, a light to medium fleece that can be worn under a bike jacket and in the evening, is good. Me? I would take your Rukka as it will cater for all eventualities....But the Streetguard will probably do, too. In short, thre is no perfect choice, as you won't know until you get there.

Have a look at the weatherunderground website for all sorts of historic data. Also Google the name of the bigger towns you will be visiting, along with the words ‘weather in September’. Chances are you’ll find a website or three with data or a general comment.

First two weeks in September can be very warm, we have had low Thirties, high twenties would be normal. Might be different in other parts but here the first two weeks of September are still summer. We get temps well into the twenties well into October. Yes it can be cold on the high roads but it can be cold up there in July and august too. Layers are your friend.

John

We are doing the EDELWEISS Grand Alps tour which covers the Austrian, French , Italian and German Alps regions. I am busy trying to put the routes into my Garmin, boy I have never dealt with so many roads and small towns. Europe is so crowed compared to Australia, we can ride over a hundred K's and not see civilisation. Seems like there is a village every 5 K in the Alps. Strange when I load Europe on Mapsource and see all the dots which are towns , you pretty much can't get lost in Australia roads only go to the next town.

Back to gear , my Streetguard suit is one of the Gortex models, and is a fair bit lighter than the Rukka , hence my desire to take it on the basis that I will have less weight. Coldest I would ride over here would be -6 C and that would be very rare and only first thing in the morning, I think this has occurred only a few times in my riding life. Winter riding is between 9 and 22 degrees so pretty warm compared to your part of the world. I prefer winter riding as summer can be like being in a Sauna when you ride with protective gear.

Appreciate all the advice .

Bring the Streetguard suit and some regular clothes to go underneath. A baselayer, especially leggings, would be good. Wicks away moisture when hot but keeps you warm at altitude.

Believe it or not, you will find shops in Europe that sell clothes. If you arrive and find it is cooler than expected then buy a cheap jumper in a Carrefour supermarket to wear under the Streetguard. Throw it away before you return home if it will take you over the baggage limit.

I routinely dispose of unloved or worn clothing on motorcycle trips. That T shirt with the dodgy print you received as a gift or the one with the hole under the arm. Wear it on the bike during the day and lob it in the hotel bin rather than carting it on the bike for the rest of the trip to be laundered at home. Gives you a bit of extra luggage space on the bike (or air baggage) for purchases made on the trip.

I routinely dispose of unloved or worn clothing on motorcycle trips. That T shirt with the dodgy print you received as a gift or the one with the hole under the arm. Wear it on the bike during the day and lob it in the hotel bin rather than carting it on the bike for the rest of the trip to be laundered at home..

We get old T shirts etc "donated" all the time, we recycle them as cleaning rags in our bike garage

John

I routinely dispose of unloved or worn clothing on motorcycle trips. That T shirt with the dodgy print you received as a gift or the one with the hole under the arm. Wear it on the bike during the day and lob it in the hotel bin rather than carting it on the bike for the rest of the trip to be laundered at home. Gives you a bit of extra luggage space on the bike (or air baggage) for purchases made on the trip.

This is a top tip I only discovered a year or so ago. Instead of packing getting harder as it does, it becomes Easy.

Bring the Streetguard suit and some regular clothes to go underneath. A baselayer, especially leggings, would be good. Wicks away moisture when hot but keeps you warm at altitude.

Believe it or not, you will find shops in Europe that sell clothes. If you arrive and find it is cooler than expected then buy a cheap jumper in a Carrefour supermarket to wear under the Streetguard. Throw it away before you return home if it will take you over the baggage limit.

Thanks I was going to bring it without the inner linings and layer dress as required. So final question without the liner will be OK ?

Thanks I was going to bring it without the inner linings and layer dress as required. So final question without the liner will be OK ?

Should be, but bring a fleece with you that you can wear underneath the jacket amd are happy to be seen out if it gets a bit chilly.

Should be, but bring a fleece with you that you can wear underneath the jacket amd are happy to be seen out if it gets a bit chilly.

yes I'll have the poly underpants and top as well as down jacket and other . Worst thing will be I'll be a little cold. We are hiring WC GS's so heated hand grips are standard , I'll take my non lined Rukka gloves . I am hoping after I've experienced this is an organised tour I can go back in the future in a more economical manner .

I am hoping after I've experienced this is an organised tour....... .

Have you asked the tour organiser what temperatures they expect / advice on clothing?

If not, you should, you are paying them to provide a service. Not least they will know where and when they intend to be riding and staying.

Have you asked the tour organiser what temperatures they expect / advice on clothing?

If not, you should, you are paying them to provide a service. Not least they will know where and when they intend to be riding and staying.

I did but they answer more on the side of how we don't get sued rather than this will be fine. IN other words they are not prepared to say I won't need a liner and son on. They do say no jeans or joggers ?? Must be some Americans that do these tours and want to ride Hardly Style in the Alps?

I did but they answer more on the side of how we don't get sued rather than this will be fine. IN other words they are not prepared to say I won't need a liner and son on. They do say no jeans or joggers ?? Must be some Americans that do these tours and want to ride Hardly Style in the Alps?

If you are looking for someone to tell you it's OK to ride in jeans and trainers don't ask a professional, as you say they risk being sued by idiots.
Riding anywhere without protective clothing is not sensible. In the Alps and for people unused to mountain roads it verges on the insane.

You don't say where in the Alps, it covers a huge area, but the first two weeks of September are still summer. If you are prepared for anything from 30c plus in the valleys to 5c on the tops (and then only if you are unlucky) you will be fine. You are the only one who knows your kit well enough to decide what to take and what to leave behind,

John

Last edited:
If you are looking for someone to tell you it's OK to ride in jeans and trainers don't ask a professional, as you say they risk being sued by idiots.
Riding anywhere without protective clothing is not sensible. In the Alps and for people unused to mountain roads it verges on the insane.

You don't say where in the Alps, it covers a huge area, but the first two weeks of September are still summer. If you are prepared for anything from 30c plus in the valleys to 5c on the tops (and then only if you are unlucky) you will be fine. You are the only one who knows your kit well enough to decide what to take and what to leave behind,

John

I always ride fulley fitted even down the street. I have a few choices as stated , BMW Streetguard , Rukka Armos , and Full Leathers. I want to take the BMW gear because it is lighter, and I'm flying to Europe and lugging stuff around, so this is my main reason for sorting. Anyway I'm going with the streetguard.

Was in the Alps in September 2 years ago,stayed at Andermatt for 5 nights,saw temps on the high passes at anything from 2 to 30 degrees,was a brilliant week.
Did the Spluggen last year on a rental bike(guzzi 750) jeans trainers and a hoody,was over dressed compared to the locals,wear what you want and feel comfortable in.

Usually wear all the gear but when in Rome......

It is always up and down, we have just come back from a trip where it was 30+ most days lower down, but some passes were still abouthalf the valley temperature.

More Northern parts are generally cooler, but we have had 2c at the top of the Nufenen with light snow in early August - 10 minutes later at the bottom of the pass it was about 28c.

I always carry a micro-fleece and a light shower proof jacket, both can be added as layers under bike gear and used in the evening.

My textiles are waterproof, but I carry a basic set of waterproofs for really heavin rain as the textile suits get really heavy, plus it ensures minimal water ingress by doubling up (one set of sleeves inside and one set outside of my gloves). These also work well to help with keeping warm if it gets really cold.

Just don't make the rookie mistake of stopping to put on warmer gear as you start to ascend a pass, often you can be over them in 30 minutes so stopping on the way up and back down is pointless, enjoy the cooler air at the top, you will soon warm up on the way back down.

Back
Top Bottom