stripping it down to powder coat -

simonjasper

Having done a limited search & not really getting far i've posted...

Due to the corrosion , I'm going to strip the bike down so that I can send some bits in for coating

(the front telelever arm, fork brace, hopefully the lower forks themselves [if possible] & the whole front cover of the engine, maybe the rocker covers too...

question 1, which is the easiest to follow manual ? especially with beer in hand,

& Q2, do i need any special tools? especially regarding bearings

lastly, what are the issues around powder coating the above items.

the bike is an 02 1150, which is 3 months out of warranty, bought privately

thanks Simon

The haynes manual for the 1100 (the 1150 is essentially identical) is just as good as anything else though the the BMW CD is a worth having (see links on this site for a download) for reference.

I don't think you will be able to do the lower parts of the forks on their own but smoothrite silver is a very close match.

I think the ball joint for the bottom yolk is a sod to get off but I haven't done one so I'm not speaking from experience.

I took out the big ends on my old Ducatti so I'm paranoid about clean casings. If I'm having engine casings blasted I stick the casing to a piece of plywood with silicone sealer to prevent the beads hitting the jointing surface and getting onto the engine side of the casing, I also make plugs up to block access through any other point. It sounds like a ball ache but it only takes a few beads getting into the engine to make a real mess. Make sure the casing is washed out once you get it back.

:beerjug:

Simon

let us know how you get on. I dont have this problem yet, but even here I guess its a matter of time.

There is a new Clymer manual out by the way. It cover your bike assuming its not a twin spark. I haven´t used it, but for all the other beemers Ive had the Clymer seemed better - more detail as its a much much bigger book.

cheers

tools at the ready

1 week & counting to stripdown....

managed to get a copy of a very helpful manual off this site....

thanks for the tips about the plywood.....

will post piccies of before & after when completed.....

Back
Top Bottom