How much to replace haul sensors. Re- yourself or garage

Electrics1

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the going price is to replace the haul sensors in a r1150gs ie the cost from a bike shop and the cost to buy the parts and do it yourself? Are special tools needed ? In general do you need special tools to work on the bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

Does anybody know what the going price is to replace the haul sensors in a r1150gs ie the cost from a bike shop and the cost to buy the parts and do it yourself? Are special tools needed ? In general do you need special tools to work on the bike. Any advice would be appreciated.

Literally a 30 minute job if you follow the sequence:thumby: I'm guessing a new sensor is somewhere over £100?

Literally a 30 minute job:thumby:

Hmmmmm....rather optimistic for a first go at it TBH, but yes, it is very easy once you've done it once.

(I ended up with several sensors of unknown provinence that I was swapping in and out to try and eliminate a problem and without doing up the front covers etc, it is only a 5 min job, but first time, feeling your way through and loosening off those corroded bolts on the front cover, an hour maybe)

As said above, there are plenty of threads with lots of piccies to refer to....your first problem is finding a decent working HES.

Try Ebay, or look at the threads here....there's a Greek company that make them and they are about half the price of the normal complete units....I don't know of anyone who has tried one yet, but the sensors and plate they are on are actually fairly simple devices so they ought to be OK :thumb

If you're just needing to change one for diagnostics then I can lend you one. I'm getting some bits from this at the moment and the sensor is the same as the GS. Low mileage too.

FFS this can't go uncorrected or it'll never come up in a search.

Hall Sensor

It's named after Sir Albert Hall (Ed to his mates).

:blast

Does haul sensor failure indicate high mileage bikes

Thanks lads that is great information. Some threads I've read say the haul sensors go on very high mileage bikes - 90,000 miles plus. I'm looking at a bike that shows 45,000 mile's on the clock. Should I be suspicious ?
or can this happen at any mileage ?

Electronic components can fail at any time, not time or mileage related. Just unlucky.

A new hall sensor for an 1150 is around £200. They're a bit cheaper for an 1100 at about £170 .

And they can fail at anytime regardless of mileage or age. The wiring can also fail due to breaking down caused by the engine heat.

A new hall sensor for an 1150 is around £200. They're a bit cheaper for an 1100 at about £170 .

And they can fail at anytime regardless of mileage or age. The wiring can also fail due to breaking down caused by the engine heat.

Is that the price from a BMW dealer ?

Back
Top Bottom