Side stand switch

monkeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK - I did a search. Perhaps the first question should be 'how do you advance search for 2 words together':confused:

Side stand switch - R1150GSA. When I kick the side stand down, with the bike in neutral, the engine falters and recovers. If I really kick the stand down the engine stops. It restarts immediately no problem.

In my simple mind, as long as the bike is in neutral the bike should keep running and the side stand should have no effect, i.e. be ignored. I've not checked the wiring diagram but I would assume that the side stand switch is completely independent of the neutral switch so and that as long as the bike is in neutral, then the engine should run.

So why does the side stand switch kill the engine in neutral? I'm debating whether to get a new switch or (preferably) to remove it altogether and just put a jumper on the connector to the loom to make it think its up the whole time. Is that straight forward please?

Ta

Check Loom to Dash Warning Lamps

Hi,
There is a short wiring loom which runs from a plug behind head stock and runs along beak/dash support frame to the warning lamp cluster - ie neutral, charging etc. this loom has small crimped splitter joints in the wires inside sheath. These crimps are well known for corroding and breaking - usually causing the neutral and charging lamps to glow or flicker etc
A fault in this loom can also effect the side stand switch "logic" in it's safety circuit - ie the switch still works in the circuit - but the "rules" change as regards neutral switch/clutch switch/side stand switch.

Cheers......................Grizzly:beerjug:

OK, thanks - I've not heard about that one. I've must have changed 3 or 4 ignition switch leads for the same reason though. I completely changed the main loom a few years back but if this is a spur then I may have left it undisturbed. i'll have a look

Back
Top Bottom