Classical Spain

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been looking at the World of BMW tours (http://www.worldofbmw.com/travelframeset.htm) and quite fancy their Spanish trip, but I think I can do it (or something similar) myself cheaper.

Can anyone recommend which cultural sites are a must (e.g. Ronda, Segovia etc.) and recommend any routes? The Michelin map doesn't appear to have an abundance of green scenic routes in Central Spain.

SWMBO has given me some strict orders about having less riding time and more sightseeing, so I'm looking at 200 miles per day and two nights in the more interesting places.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Have a look at Bike-Astur

Their prices don't seem too bad when you consider they include a return trip from Plymouth-Santander.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has used them. I like the idea of settling in one spot for a week and doing circular tours from this base.

I found out about them from an acquaintance who did some work on their website. All I know is that they were good people to deal with from a supplier's point of view.

Several years ago whilst at the BMF show I came across the International Motorcycle Touring Club and copied down a circular route from Bilbao to Andalucia and back. This gave me the basis for some great roads avoiding big towns etc.

But take SWMBO to the Alhambra in Granada, you'll earn more Brownie points than you could imagine. Follow this with a ride around the Sierra Nevada..............

As you have guessed Rhonda is a fabulous place to base yourself for one of my favourate parts of the world, Andalucia. Loads of great roads, in particular the one south to S.Pedro and southwest through Algatocin.

If you can find your way to the 'hanging town' of Cuenca, east of Madrid, make your way up to the old town and stay in the ancient hostel which literally hangs on the edge of a cliff for views with vertigo.

If your'e in Bilbao then obviously the Guggenheim and watch out for the fantastic ferry/bridge thingy.
The Picos, stay in Potes or Guitarman's mate has a what looks to be a great place to stay (Casa Zalama) not far away.

Loads of other places, I like Tarifa right down on the southern tip, it has so much totty that a mistimed glance could lose you all those Brownie points gained in Granada. Be warned:)

Getting a bit carried away now, can't wait to be back riding through there in a few weeks.:)

Tim

My £0.02. Get the paradores booklet and plan a trip between the ones that you like the look of. Some though, like Segovia, are out of town, but have excellent views of the town especially at night. I stayed in the town itself for 100 euros for three nights for a double room and parking for the bike.:D

Or try basing yourself in the top of Spain, advertised as green Spain. The areas right in the west near Baiona and around the Picos are excellent quiet roads in June and just nice temperatures.

BTW what's the temperatures like in Spain at the end of March. Logic says it'll be warmer in the south but is it noticeable in March?

Steve

You know you want to go on our Picos trip :D 7 days of mooching about in the Picos, and then a leisurely 5 days to get back to Zeebruge. Ian and I are aiming for between 200-250 miles a day with plenty of photo & coffee stops.

Regards,

Charles

Wherever you go you'll find great roads, biker friendly motorists, and helpfull locals if you try a little bit of Spanish. Agree with nearly all the posted replies, but based on several trips there are a couple of places not already mentioned that are worth a visit. Top of my list is Merida. There is so much history to see. A partly restored Roman Theatre, an Amphitheatre, the ruins of a Circus ( like the colluseum in Rome where they held the chariot races ) 2 aqueducts, and a Moorish Castle. All are within walking distance of the Parador which is a converted 15th century Nunnery. There are 2000 year old Roman pillars all over the place, a small outside swimming pool, and underground secure parking for the bike. It's a brilliant place. I would also suggest Avilla, the highest city in Spain, which boasts the most complete Roman/Medieval city walls in Spain. We stayed in a small hostal, can't remember the name offhand but have it somewhere if you Email me. Unpretentious, but with a superb restaurant. Woken in the morning by the sound a baby storks knocking their bills against a parents bill, asking to be fed. Great place. Have a great trip.

I can pretty much echo what others have said regarding Potes and the Picos mountains. Stay in Ronda a few days and use it as a base for days out - visit La Alberca - an amazing traditional village that is like going back in time. We met Tim Ewart the ITV news correspondent there last year - he was with his son Ben and they were on a VFR and a Pan Euro. Tim was on his way to cover Euro 2004 in Portugal and they were staying at La Alberca. In fact it might be worth stopping there yourself. I can also recommend Cuidad Rodrigo, an old walled city that featured in the Peninsula wars and there are still 19th century cannon lying around the city just lying in the grass. Stay in the Hotel Rodrigo in the town centre just by the cathedral, 3 star hotel, lovely room for about €45. Can send you some pics if you like.

Finally booked the ferry to Spain tonight for next years trip - only took 7.5 years :D

Out 21st July to Santander and returning from Bilbao on 1st August :cool:

Finally booked the ferry to Spain tonight for next years trip - only took 7.5 years :D

Nothing like forward planning a week in Spain!

:rolleyes:

800px-Toledo_Skyline_Panorama%2C_Spain_-_Dec_2006.jpg

Consider a visit to Toledo.

:thumb2

Away from the coast, it's likely to be 40°C at that time of year (Madrid is forecast to be 37°C all this week).

You need to think very carefully about riding gear and hydration.

Greg

Away from the coast, it's likely to be 40°C at that time of year (Madrid is forecast to be 37°C all this week).

You need to think very carefully about riding gear and hydration.

Greg

We had plenty of practice in the USA this year in temperatures up to 45C :eek:

The plan is to stay mostly in the north and ride scenic roads in the day and visit historic cities for the overnights:

Santander - Potes - Leon - Santiago - Salamanca - Avila - Segovia - Burgos - Bilbao

We had plenty of practice in the USA this year in temperatures up to 45C :eek:

The plan is to stay mostly in the north and ride scenic roads in the day and visit historic cities for the overnights:

Santander - Potes - Leon - Santiago - Salamanca - Avila - Segovia - Burgos - Bilbao

My 2p (again) Leon, visit the Parador, Salamanca, the Plaza Major is special, Segovia, Alcazar is ok, but there's a small church down from it that's off the tourist route. Info here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...via_Province_of_Segovia_Castile_and_Leon.html

Also at Segovia you can walk up to level with the top of the aqueduct, well worth it even if its a bit warm

Your 2p worth is very welcome :thumb2

Any suggestions for an overnight between Santiago and Salamanca? I was thinking of somewhere in north east Portugal? :nenau

My 2p (again) Leon, visit the Parador, Salamanca, the Plaza Major is special, Segovia, Alcazar is ok, but there's a small church down from it that's off the tourist route. Info here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...via_Province_of_Segovia_Castile_and_Leon.html

Also at Segovia you can walk up to level with the top of the aqueduct, well worth it even if its a bit warm

Well worth a visit as he says! We stopped at a budget hotel but it was really nice and nice food, right opposite Lidl or was it Aldi? Whatever good for nipping over and buying cheap nibbles and booze. The hotel was called Venta Magullo Restaurante-Hostal at la lastrilla only a few mins by bus from the aqueduct.

Popped into Braganca a few years back, looks like it might be interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragança_Municipality

Funnily enough, that's the town currently in my Autoroute intinerary.

The nice new looking Ibis with indoor parking is only £30 too :eek In fact, a lot of the cities seem to have good hotels for half the price you'd pay in France or Switzerland, although the Paradors are a bit out of my price range.

Very useful info as always (all power to the net and the forum..) and it looks like I'll make a two night stay in Leon (thank you itspilsbury..).

Any good suggestions for an over night stop between the central pyrenees (sort of N260 part of the world) and Leon?? (I'll probably come through the Bielsa tunnel ..).

Thanks blokes ... :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom