bike wouldn,t restart

paramart

Reaction score
this is the 2nd time it,s happened since iv,e had the bike, after a run it won,t turn over the rid resets then a few seconds later it will restart, stopped twice before it happened no probs, so don,t know why it,s done it, started and ran fine today, also got oil starting to seep out of the rubber cover by the final drive, does this get worse quick or can i leave it and check the level regularly, or will it contaminate anything, thanks for any input

this is the 2nd time it,s happened since iv,e had the bike, after a run it won,t turn over the rid resets then a few seconds later it will restart, stopped twice before it happened no probs, so don,t know why it,s done it, started and ran fine today, also got oil starting to seep out of the rubber cover by the final drive, does this get worse quick or can i leave it and check the level regularly, or will it contaminate anything, thanks for any input

Battery and battery connections are the first things to check-

As for the oil, depends how much is coming out. Wipe it off then keep an eye on it.

John

Non starting sounds like a dodgy starter motor. Easy to remove and clean up yourself unless the magnets have become dislodged in which case it may be new/secondhand starter time. Other things it could be is a very poorly battery (the clock resetting is a good indication of this, but as your bike later turns over fine I have my doubts) or a corroded connector in the start circuit.

With the oil issue you need to pull back the rubber cover to see which end its coming from. More common seems to be the final drive where folk on here have experienced the seal 'breathing' a little. Shouldn't be much more than a teaspoon come out when you peel the boot back. Mine did this, but I got Steptoe to fit a new FD input seal (because I don't like any leaks) as the nut holding it in is very tight and will most likely need a rattle gun to undo. The other possibility is a leak from the rear gearbox seal. Have a look up the shaft drive tunnel to see if the oil has been dribbling down it. A torch and mirror helps to see clearly. If you have tyraps as opposed to the metal bands holding the boot on be aware that they are a slightly unusual size/width and sort out spares/alternatives before you snip them off.
It all really depends how much of a leak you have, but certainly check the FD and gearbox oil levels now and keep a close eye on them.

thanks for the replies, the oil leak may be from the gear box end but not sure yet so wiped all dry and inside of the boot, will check again after a ride, rear diff level is the same as when last checked, the gear box level seemed overfull but it had been serviced by a bmw place prior to me buying the bike so will leave it and see,
as for the starter i will check the leads/bty, but when the bikes stood for a month it just fires up no problem so i think the bty is ok and i ran it to bradford on avon from the midlands so it should have been powerful enough to start it, if it was the magnets unbonding would it work until 1 or more came off, it didn,t do it on the way home,

thanks for the replies, the oil leak may be from the gear box end but not sure yet so wiped all dry and inside of the boot, will check again after a ride, rear diff level is the same as when last checked, the gear box level seemed overfull but it had been serviced by a bmw place prior to me buying the bike so will leave it and see,
as for the starter i will check the leads/bty, but when the bikes stood for a month it just fires up no problem so i think the bty is ok and i ran it to bradford on avon from the midlands so it should have been powerful enough to start it, if it was the magnets unbonding would it work until 1 or more came off, it didn,t do it on the way home,

Not sure but don't think you can overfill the gearbox it's a fill and spill i.e. Fill until its spills out of the filler hole. Someone will confirm I'm sure.

I am sure Jonno @ AdventureBikeWarehouse said mine was overfull when I took it in....

But then I am a mechanical idiot so don't trust me on that...

Not sure but don't think you can overfill the gearbox it's a fill and spill i.e. Fill until its spills out of the filler hole. Someone will confirm I'm sure.

What if you filled it while it was on the side stand? Presumably it would then be possible to over fill?

And if it is over filled, assuming that's possible, where does the excess go? Does it have a vent?

What if you filled it while it was on the side stand? Presumably it would then be possible to over fill?

And if it is over filled, assuming that's possible, where does the excess go? Does it have a vent?[/

I'd say it should be filled on the main stand i.e. upright until it spills from the fill hole, that's to say level with the bottom of the hole. Put it on the main stand ( cold) and open the fill plug.

Completely agree Captain Black, i was just trying to guess how one might over fill it? But obviously it should be filled when on the centre stand!

i don,t think it would be overfilled by much as it was dealer serviced from new, will see if it leaks when i ride it again and as fatnfast said it was hardly a tea spoonful thanks for the input though

The electrical problem may be a break in the wiring to the ignition switch-an old favourite.
Put on centre-stand,start engine and move bars left to right or flex the bit of loom out of ignition switch.
If it stalls/cuts out,problem's there.

Back
Top Bottom