Poacher turned Gamekeeper ??

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I’ve found myself with a couple of days off kicking around LHR-my overtime trip to New York got canned and I need to be in Sussex early Wednesday to go into hospital for the morning-no point going home as foul weather.
So I called up those nice folks at Bahnstormer Maidenhead to find that both their demo 1300s were free.
I’ve never mentioned it, but I was never a fan of the 1250.:aidan
But could the 1300 actually be any good ?
Said I’d be there late morning and agreed to take out their Twipple Black with the AVHC (uppy downy auto seat height gizmo).
Pitched up and met Andy.What a welcoming dealer and so unlike those latte-swilling cockwombling tossers at North Oxford.
Filled in the paperwork , Andy showed me the basics and I attached my Peak Design phone mount via a RAM claw.

IMG_9981.jpeg

You can shove your QuadLock shite where the sun don’t shine.(No, not Scotland ):arselick:

I had the bike for an hour or so and had planned a quick route on MRA :

IMG_9982.jpeg

For the first ten minutes or so I found the switch gear/menu system baffling, but then I’m not used to complicated menus and TFTs :cool:

But it soon became second nature.

First press the menu button marked ‘1’ which isn’t THE menu button then use the twirly wheel to select what you want such as ‘Heating’, ‘ACC’,’Windshield’ etc, then right press the twirly wheel to select.The up/down button marked ‘2’ then controls that function selected.

IMG_9983.jpeg

So with Windscreen selected the up/down button raises and lowers the screen and with Heating selected it changes power levels to seat/grip heating etc etc.

IMG_9984.jpeg

First impressions were that the bike was very light and flickable , and SMALL.
Engine cases by Tefal so paint might stay on a few weeks !!!

The screen seemed good in the highest setting,though I note that the two bikes in the showroom didn’t feature the clear sticky out deflectors either side of the screen.More money !! Ching ching.

The roads were mainly dry until I hit the lanes, which were mainly fucking soaked and covered in leaves.

This was one of the better,less covered ones

IMG_6053.jpeg

Even so, the bike felt planted.

I finally got on to some quicker roads which were a tad drier.Opening her up , I was surprised by the instant shove, with the front trying to lift even in third from above 4000 rpm.

The Adaptive Cruise Control worked well, though have never been a fan of the BMW toggle switch.For example the activation buttons on my Tracer GT+ are much more intuitive.

I had a play with the AVHC both in auto and manual.It worked seemslesly in auto, dropping down as you slowed to a crawl, and indicated by a down arrow on the TFT, and then going up again as you pulled away, again shown by an up arrow.

In manual it was fun to watch the rear droop first followed by the front.
A very useful feature if you is an oompah loompah.The only thing for me is that the bike had a standard seat and I could flat foot with seat height raised.In fact I was amazed that I could also flat foot the Rallye in the showroom fitted with the tall seat.

IMG_6046.jpeg

This was definitely an issue for me.

The seat felt comfy initially but the standard seat was too low for me at 6’1”/33” inseam.After an hour I was getting lower back ache and a numb bum and the knee bend was a bit too much for me.

But if I sat up an inch or so to simulate a tall seat, the buffeting increased significantly over the screen.
So fitting a tall seat would really need a tall screen to keep the same wind protection.

Seat heating worked well as did grip heating.

So, my overall view of the bike ?

If you are say under 5’10” and ride solo it’ll be fabulous.

BUT if you are taller and regularly take a pillion and need 2/3 boxes for female necessities like kitchen sinks, then I think the platform is too small.
It feels more like an enduro bike rather than a touring bike.

I was surprised quite how bloody filthy the bike was when I got back, as were the heels of my boots !!!

IMG_6054.jpeg
IMG_6055.jpeg

Would I buy one ? No !

BUT…..the forthcoming GSA or 1400GS, whatever they call the fucking thing may be just what I need,as I assume it’ll be a bit taller, bigger tank so more bulk and protection and better for a tall rider with pillion.I will definitely try one……but will it have 17” wheels ? :rolleyes:

Positives

Stonking motor with more grunt than anybody not living in Norcal will ever need.
MUCH improved gearbox/quickshifter
Light and nimble (for a big bike)
Toys such as ACC and AVHC work well
Clever menu system.
Short people no longer excluded.
No longer sounds like a bag of spanner’s.
It looks well finsihed
Engine cases made by Tefal

Negatives

More of a fun/enduro bike than a touring bike.
Gearbox still a bit notchy, especially 2nd to 3rd.
Still sounds like one spanner is loose.
Cruise button/toggle
Too small for normal people.
Kicks up road shit.
It’s a GS.
It’ll probably fall apart.
Boxerlust.:sleep:

A few random pics

IMG_6048.jpeg
IMG_6049.jpeg
IMG_6047.jpeg

Me a GS hater ? How very fucking dare you !! (1250s are still S H I T E ) :rob

Last edited:
My saying...LOL Off to Mexico...! The 1400ADV better have a full 1400cc and 115KW/lb-ft , 155hp/NM , a 30 liter tank and aluminum bags at least as BIG as the ones currently on the 1200/1250GS ! You gentlemen have fun without me...LOL

Local dealer says (from BMW) the GSA will be like a Tonka Toy compered to the new standard 1300 GS. So us 6ft+'ers should be suited better?

Not rocket science from the Father land...GS1300 more sporty GSA 1400<? for the Starbucks lot.

Only one problem I guess? ...27K+ ????

TD.

Nice review , dont agree but appreciate the time you spent on the presentation , but can you get rid of the ugly fugger in the last shot , not nice.
Wife did feel it was as good as the last Gs and better than the V4 for the record , but it is great. Im 6 ft and it fits me fine , Queens size 8 mind.

Nice review , dont agree but appreciate the time you spent on the presentation , but can you get rid of the ugly fugger in the last shot , not nice.
Wife did feel it was as good as the last Gs and better than the V4 for the record , but it is great. Im 6 ft and it fits me fine , Queens size 8 mind.

Which bits dont you agree on ? Just curious ?

Fender extenda up front required, as per previous models.
Sounds more and more like the bike for me. I have always been GS and not GSA, preferring the size/weight reduction. Baffled by the concept that bigger and heavier is a good thing, but hey, there even bigger bikes than the GSA and some people like them too 👍

Which bits dont you agree on ? Just curious ?
More of a fun/enduro bike than a touring bike I feel its not that , just not as big as the 1250 but the platform still work as is big .
Gearbox still a bit notchy, especially 2nd to 3rd. Due to a new bike as the last 1250 was notchy at low miles nut after 3k fine so this one will be better.
Still sounds like one spanner is loose. Never noticed as enjoying the ride.
Cruise button/toggle .. must admit never tried it
Too small for normal people. Nope
Kicks up road shit. Dont care the last one did , so did the 1290 Ktm and the Multi
It’s a GS. THANK GOD
It’ll probably fall apart. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Positives you listed .. all apart from No:4 as did not bother as not enough time as was enjoying the motor and the chassis

But again a great post .. too much time on you hands lol

Extra comment : I left the 1250 as I wanted more , and bought the Multi V4s , this gave loads more , but had an issue.
It was like racing a 500 2 stroke , all or nothing with no finesse . I went back to the 1250 as missed the torque , presence and the ride.
Rode the 1300 and realised that this bike is a mix of both , but , better and I cannot wait to beta test it.

Last edited:
More of a fun/enduro bike than a touring bike I feel its not that , just not as big as the 1250 but the platform still work as is big .
Gearbox still a bit notchy, especially 2nd to 3rd. Due to a new bike as the last 1250 was notchy at low miles nut after 3k fine so this one will be better.
Still sounds like one spanner is loose. Never noticed as enjoying the ride.
Cruise button/toggle .. must admit never tried it
Too small for normal people. Nope
Kicks up road shit. Dont care the last one did , so did the 1290 Ktm and the Multi
It’s a GS. THANK GOD
It’ll probably fall apart. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Positives you listed .. all apart from No:4 as did not bother as not enough time as was enjoying the motor and the chassis

But again a great post .. too much time on you hands lol

Ta for replies.
Yeah, I’m bored but still getting paid the overtime so a win/win.

Might take a Mandello S out tomorrow… but time for a pint and a curry. 🍺

Fender extenda up front required, as per previous models.
Sounds more and more like the bike for me. I have always been GS and not GSA, preferring the size/weight reduction. Baffled by the concept that bigger and heavier is a good thing, but hey, there even bigger bikes than the GSA and some people like them too 👍
I know what you mean.
Bigger and heavier is not normally a good thing . But , for me, I need a taller platform.
Due to buggered back and fucked knees, I’ve started to prefer slightly lower seats but the AVHC on the 1300 means I can still have a tallish seat, which is fabulous.

Assuming the GSA version (1400) is what I hope it is, I’d say there’s a fair chance I’ll have one,which is something I never considered with the 1250.
We used to have a shite dealer locally but they lost the franchise so we now have to use Mansell in Jersey. But they’ve recently appointed a satellite service agent locally which saves shipping bike to Jersey, though so some recalls may still have to be done there apparently .But bike shipped free at their expense if recall needed. So that’s a game changer for me .

Ta for replies.
Yeah, I’m bored but still getting paid the overtime so a win/win.

Might take a Mandello S out tomorrow… but time for a pint and a curry. 🍺
If that floats yer boat or lifts your wings .................not for me :D

Very subtle. Moi being 6’3” with 34” inseam will definitely struggle for comfort. But tempted to tease myself anyway. Will make sure to have a go on one, when roads are dry.

Will I buy one? Well, I’d have to wait until I try one, then more than likely wait for the “GSA” variant to come out next year, and try that for size. You know like shoes, troos…

Meanwhile, although I already feel it’ll be to small and cramped, I still need to have a go on a V100 Stelvio (when they become available), maybe some other equipment out there.

Just looking at the configurator again , there doesn’t appear to be a taller screen option despite dealer saying there was ?
But the configurator does seem a bit glitchy .For example you have to ‘change model ‘ to actually have the TE option and then there seems no option to add panniers, just the pannier preparation!!

Edited to add

The configurator really is shit . How the fuck do you get to select panniers ?
Think I’ve seen them as an option once but on most attempts they’re not there !!!

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Last edited:
there doesn’t appear to be a taller screen option despite dealer saying there was ?

As far as I know there are just 2 screens at the moment, the small one on the base trophy and the bigger electric screen like on the TB you tried,

they can be mounted in high or low positions as there are 2 sets of screw holes in the screen support, in your photos it looks to be in the high position

I was also surprised that I could flat foot the bike easily with the suspension in its high position, I only have a 32” inside leg

The size is a bit deceptive though, even though it looks small, I tried it with wifey on the back and there’s plenty of room, maybe even slightly more than the 1200 which is good as it’s critical for me

So the 'Teflon' paint doesn't stop it getting dirty.

Nope

0262bed9abddc8b6ba0cb6e26a2a245c.png

Just looking at the configurator again , there doesn’t appear to be a taller screen option despite dealer saying there was ?
But the configurator does seem a bit glitchy .For example you have to ‘change model ‘ to actually have the TE option and then there seems no option to add panniers, just the pannier preparation!!

Edited to add

The configurator really is shit . How the fuck do you get to select panniers ?
Think I’ve seen them as an option once but on most attempts they’re not there !!!

"
How the fuck do you get to select panniers ?"
Start with the Basic model (non TE) then add change it to a Trophy & add the other options required. You also then get "accessories" and panniers etc. are in there. But yes, the configurator is a bit shit and not sorted. Why can you see options and price for some accessories but most say "contact your dealer" ??. would be nice to at least be given a guide price.

Thanks for your thoughts Arsey. You've raised a number of issues there which I sort of suspected but the jury's out. One of my concerns is they'd perhaps lost the relaxed touring vibe with the new platform. It sits and looks more aggressive and smaller. I was never one to judge the 1200, let alone the 1250 as "not enough". For me, they were both plenty enough, an almost perfect blend of midrange grunt and relaxed low revs bimbling prowess with a lovely balance that made them ideally suited as long haul bikes or just for the pleasure of a weekend away in comfort. Yes, there's the RT, but it's not as nimble or accessible in some ways and the extra bulk always put me off. I decided when I had my 1200GSA that it lacked some top end shove, so took a 1260 V4 Enduro out for a test ride. It had no shortage of exhilarating top end and was buttery smooth in the mids, didn't rattle like a blacksmith's forge and handled beautifully. The huge let down for me was that ergonomics I found weren't as rounded or well thought out as the GSA and unforgivably, it had no low end grunt. I even managed embarrassingly to stall it several times!

I got back on the GSA and it dawned on me that the boxer was never about top end rush or flaw free handling or the last word in smoothness. What it allowed me to do on the 30 mile blast home through lots of rural A and B roads was to make effortless progress in total comfort and I had no problem keeping up with an enthusiastic mate on a KTM990. It allowed me to enjoy the journey instead of focssing on the bike. If I lost that, I'd lose my interest in bikes, so I've loyally stuck with the 1200 platform, albeit in the nimbler and better looking format of the RS.

I can't, probably ever, see myself wanting more. It does everything that I want from it, although I'd welcome a lighter bike.....but I have that in my VStrom for the local trips and crappy weather.

The 1300 doesn't sound as if it's for me. I do wonder of BMW have taken a gamble in removing part of the DNA of the 1200 platform, in order to compete with the V4's of this world? I must try one myself to find out. I may change my mind but even if I did, the price now puts it beyond what I could justify. One thing remains in its favour, and that's it probably retains all the low end grunt credentials, and builds on that over earlier iterations and this may for many, be enough to keep it ahead of the pack. The older GS was never the best at anything but remained the benchmark because of its all round ability and one of the things concerning me is that this new platform might have gone too far down the sports side of adventure, sacrificing some of the touring comfort with the shorter, smaller platform and some of the relaxation of settling into an effortless fuss free characterful lump.

Back
Top Bottom