Givi top box plate - anyone made one?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a Givi top case. I hate the plastic offerings so looking to make my own. I've bought a set of' Spares' for a Givi monokey so I have all the connector parts.

It looks pretty straight forward to just drill of all accurately and fit the connector lugs...

Anyone else done this? Can't believe I'm the only one?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah. GS1150 ADV

My plan is to cut a piece of dural (3mm) into a plate to mount onto the standard ADV rack/trail piece.

Could try one of these: GIVI SRA6401 Topcase-Carrier, sold for triumph tiger 800 but looks like it may fit without to much work!

Could try one of these: GIVI SRA6401 Topcase-Carrier, sold for triumph tiger 800 but looks like it may fit without to much work!

Thanks for that. I idid look at the ali options available. It's just hard to know if it would fit over the top off the 1150? And I keep thinking a piece of 3mm dural will never be as expensive as one of those plates...

I made one for my 1100, primarily because I found the standard set-up encroached slightly onto the pillion area. It also made it possible for me to use my BMW soft bag at the same time as my top box. It is simply an ally plate with the `mushrooms` and `toblerone` bits bolted to it. You do have to be very accurate when drilling for these though. You also need to have rubber spacers on the plate otherwise there is too much play and it will rattle annoyingly and probably wear as you ride. I posted a while ago about anxiety over the strength of the existing tiny rear rack and have recently added a brace which has made the whole thing really strong. I will take a pic of it when I get chance, but here is the fully loaded bike, ready for the Tesco run :D

IMG_00000091_zpsc629db66.jpg

This is mine.
One might call it functional rather than aesthetic :D

IMG_20141216_1330231_zpsf92b4ef9.jpg
I think you're right about the drillings needing to be accurate. That seems to me what the 'job' really is. Getting thatbit right. The kit of parts I've bought includes the rubber spacers to take up the slack you describe.

What I need is either an existing givi ali plate to measure from or the plate off another bike.

For me the top case is for around town mostly. I don't really like the height they add for longer journeys but once I have one I have the option :)

I found this plate and thought it was the best I had seen for a Givi box. Well thought out and nicely finished to match the bike. Dave.
http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Motorc...re-GiVi/2795778_jVHS4S#!i=149159882&k=Qcth6MK
Yep, completely agree! I've emailed the guy who made this but his post is so old I'll be damned lucky if he's still around and using ADV rider site and luckier still if he did a drawing he'd share! But I live in hope :) Meanwhile I'm busy drawing and measuring!

Cheers

lthough the post is old there are a number of more recent posts on his site, http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Motorcycles I think you should get an answer. If not the detail and the photos should be enough to fabricate the plate. He lists all the parts to buy too. If you tab to each photo there are details and instructions at the bottom of each page. Dave.

Thanks Dave. We're all on the same track :). The bit that needs some Care is the drilling centres. Not sure a photo will give that much detail. I'm spoilt for choice on materials and ways to finish if, but those drillings need the homework, for me at least!

The little rubber bung thingys probably won`t work because they sit in a recess on the Givi racks. You would have to slice part of the tops off I reckon

The little rubber bung thingys probably won`t work because they sit in a recess on the Givi racks. You would have to slice part of the tops off I reckon
Hmmm... useful tip! I noticed your rubber packing pieces.... I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks for all the comments. Had been useful!

I forgot to mention. You can see from the pic that my plate runs under the grabrail. I got longer grabrail bolts to allow this. It gives it a bit more strength.

I forgot to mention. You can see from the pic that my plate runs under the grabrail. I got longer grabrail bolts to allow this. It gives it a bit more strength.
That's also something I'm now pondering... It could make the whole thing look more deliberate (i have the single seat set up)

Cheers

i used a piece of 4mm bolted on the existing carrier using grab rail mounting and rear mounting,i then attatched a givi plastic monokey mount i had,will post pics when i work out how to upload them.

Back
Top Bottom