Nationwide Flex account - free travel insurance, beware.

Wicker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I could get away with just using the free travel insurance which comes from having a current account with the Nationwide Building Society and to stop buying a separate travel policy to cover me on the bike in Europe. The policy wording looks good.... but

"This policy will automatically cover you on your trip for using hired motor vehicles of 125cc or less but you must wear a crash helmet and, if you are
the rider, you must hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type where you live in the UK.
You will also be covered for vehicles above 125cc but only if you hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type where you live in the UK, it is your mode
of transport from where you live in the UK and you are wearing suitable protective clothing.
Cover under Section F Personal Liability does not apply to the use of any motor vehicle".

What it does not say and is downright misleading is that you will only be covered if:
You are accident free for the past 3 years
Conviction free for the past 5 years (even although the DVLA considers Points spent after 3 years)
You are riding on a defined road (not so good is you go off-piste)

Luckily I checked as otherwise could have found they rejected any claim.

I have also noticed that the Post Office have changed their underwriters and policies this year ~ not for the better. You used to be automatically covered for trips up to 31 days; not anymore, the standard policy covers 17 days and you need to pay for an add-on if going longer.

Thought I could get away with just using the free travel insurance which comes from having a current account with the Nationwide Building Society and to stop buying a separate travel policy to cover me on the bike in Europe. The policy wording looks good.... but

"This policy will automatically cover you on your trip for using hired motor vehicles of 125cc or less but you must wear a crash helmet and, if you are
the rider, you must hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type where you live in the UK.
You will also be covered for vehicles above 125cc but only if you hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type where you live in the UK, it is your mode
of transport from where you live in the UK and you are wearing suitable protective clothing.
Cover under Section F Personal Liability does not apply to the use of any motor vehicle".

What it does not say and is downright misleading is that you will only be covered if:
You are accident free for the past 3 years
Conviction free for the past 5 years (even although the DVLA considers Points spent after 3 years)
You are riding on a defined road (not so good is you go off-piste)

Luckily I checked as otherwise could have found they rejected any claim.

I have also noticed that the Post Office have changed their underwriters and policies this year ~ not for the better. You used to be automatically covered for trips up to 31 days; not anymore, the standard policy covers 17 days and you need to pay for an add-on if going longer.

The conviction free and RTA thing is not mentioned in the policy document but does apply. I have an ongoing dispute with them over this at present.
It doesn't apply if you are driving a car.
There is a good thread on this subject on the ABR site and it even has good input from Wapping who does know about insurance.

I used HSBC insurance that came with my paid account, went in to meet an "advisor" to confirm I would be covered in Norway, size of bike (1150GS), duration of trip, everything. She confirmed I was fully covered and off I went without reading the fine print. As it happens I was only covered for less than 125 cc, good job I didn't need it. Saw the bank again and complained and got a full refund of fees.

Lesson learnt, allways read the small print and never assume the advisor who is the "expert" has any idea what they are really talking about.

I used HSBC insurance that came with my paid account, went in to meet an "advisor" to confirm I would be covered in Norway, size of bike (1150GS), duration of trip, everything. She confirmed I was fully covered and off I went without reading the fine print. As it happens I was only covered for less than 125 cc, good job I didn't need it. Saw the bank again and complained and got a full refund of fees.

Lesson learnt, allways read the small print and never assume the advisor who is the "expert" has any idea what they are really talking about.

Completely agree, do as much digging as possible but, in the case of the flex account reading the small print still leaves you exposed as the exclusion isn't in there which is the complaint i have ongoing with them. Not even the customer services rep. could find it after telling me it was in.

Back
Top Bottom