XR test ride

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is a copy of my test ride report from yesterday I have just sent my mate in Scotland. I have known him for almost 10 years and we have done quite a few European tours together over that time so he knows my bikes and riding style. I have probably missed some bits but thought I would post it anyway! (FYI Dawn is my wife):

Ok so we finally got our test ride on the XR. The weather could have been better but luckily none of the forecast rain, the roads were a mixture of mostly dry with damp patches especially under the trees, so a bit of caution with 160bhp on tap!

The switchgear was mostly the same as the GS, no bad thing. So set the bike in dynamic suspension where it alters all the settings as you are riding, set for rider only as per the GS. Engine mode set to dynamic as well so full power and least traction control without turning it off!

Get on the bike first thoughts, it's light but taller than the GS, Dawn struggles to get on. The leg position isn't as comfortable as the GS but it's not uncomfortable and reminds me of my K1300R, the bar position is good and the over position is comfortable. The clutch being cable operated is heavier than the GS but has a very long reach as the lever is not adjustable, a mistake in my opinion but the same problem on the R and RR. I like the digital speedo / analogue tachometer this is one of the things the GS needs when it has a face lift also the GPS is mounted above the instruments which is the best position.

The gearbox is good as is the quick shifter, like the GS working up and down the box. The engine is smooth with lots of power although a bit vibey as mentioned by most of the reviews coming in between 65-80 mph, it's annoying but not serious and not gripping the bars too tight helps, I hardly noticed it coming home. The steering is heavier requiring more effort but the bike feels very planted and stable but you do feel the bumps more than the GS. The more you ride it the more confidence you get with the bike! The screen works ok for me either up or down (2 position only). The bike does seem to suffer a bit from fork dive a bit under heavy braking which I don't really get on the GS, but perhaps may have been improved with the suspension in a different setting? This just meant Dawn slid forward more than she would normally and I became very aware of her struggling to hang on when I accelerated as she had no top box, so this meant I had to be a bit more gentle so did not get to experience its full accelerating potential, still as I ride 95% 2-up that was the purpose of the test ride! So on UK roads it was more fun than the GS, but would it be better on a 3k ride to the Alps, no not imo for what we want. It would have less luggage and cost a lot more in fuel going by my test ride although that might be nearer under more gentle riding.

But according to Dawn the reason she would say no to one is the rear seat, she said it was like sitting on a board! When we got back we swapped seats as I say the front was fine, we both agreed! The fact it's higher as well could be an issue without her changing the way she gets on the bike? A top box would make life easier accelerating and a suspension adjustment might help as well, but for Dawn the GS is still her choice and is still her favourite bike to be a pillion on.

Me, well I would have one voting for it with my heart over the GS in the excitement front but again when you take everything into account I would probably vote for my GS with my head and I wouldn't be disappointed and was happy to get back on it to come back from the dealers! Using it on roads the GS is fast enough as really high speeds aren't feasible these days although the XR would be great on track!

Was the XR better than the Multistrada? Difficult, as its 2 years since we did 150 miles on one and I haven't ridden the latest model. Would I buy the XR over the Multistrada, yes as I trust the BMW experience over the Ducati one and I would probably lose less money?

The one big disappointment was, the sound, where was all the noise and popping of the S1000R? Yes there is a bit, but it's quite muted compared to the XR. You would have to have a different silencer!

So our 105 mile test ride was good and I'm glad we rode it, not perfect but the nearest to toppling the GS of my favourite bike! A difficult thing but it will happen as the GS had its faults as do BMW, maybe one day Honda will bring out a cross between the new Africa-twin and the Crosstourer or Yamaha between................??
1e00222cd1542f37f1ddd2228a948855.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I test rode the XC last week and I felt the same in some respects and different in others. I had the demonstrator for about 3 hours in North Wales. First the vibes. I don't think I am a fussy sort of guy, but I found the vibes really bad at motorway speed and not just the bars. The front of the seat transmitted vibes to my ether regions if I rolled off the throttle. But I loved the noise when ridden hard. A real rasp, but not loud enough to bother others.

Yes,it dives more than a GS, but not a problem IMHO. Everything else I loved. The gear box was so much nicer than my WC. The roll on power intoxicating. The handling flattered my limited abilities, and it even behaved itself on some steep, muddy three ply in Clocaenog. In fact, had the salesman not been preoccupied with other things when I returned it, he could have had a sale.

The GS is feeling a bit limp now by comparison, though I admit it is more practical and less likely to get me into trouble. I may still order one, the vibes are just making me think twice.

Back
Top Bottom