Garmin Quest - charging from the bike

JohnC

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just bought a Quest with the bike mount, and I was wondering..... While I'm waiting for the GPSW power and audio cable (dont want to spend £50 on the garmin one until I see what advantages the the GPSW has) I will be using the unit with the internal battery. So my question is, If I'm camping abroad with no access to a power outlet, is there any way I can re-charge the Quest using the bikes power (GS1100) takeoff with only the cables that come with the Quest?

Thanks

John

Just get a din->faglighter lead. It comes in handy for running a compressor etc. as well. I paid about £6 at SPC last year for one.

ianf said:
Just get a din->faglighter lead. It comes in handy for running a compressor etc. as well. I paid about £6 at SPC last year for one.

Cheers Ian, so this will give the Quest the 5v it needs, not 12 which would fry it. Sorry for asking a stupid question but I'm not very electrically minded :D

themadprofessor said:
Not to my knowledge. You do need some sort of "proper" charging lead to drop the voltage. I have been looking at a Quest, What cables/adaptors does it get supplied with as standard?

It comes with an in-car mount with built in charger and a separate AC mains charger. I was wondering if I took the in-car unit with me I could just plug the Quest into the unit Ian was suggesting, just like I would be plugging it into the cigarette lighter in a car.

That sounds fine, as the "In car" thingy must drop the volts. No chance you could post a photo as I am investigating ways and means by which if I bought one I could power it from the MBW socket on the bike, whilst still keeping the cable intact so that it could still be swapped into the car.

Chris

themadprofessor said:
That sounds fine, as the "In car" thingy must drop the volts. No chance you could post a photo as I am investigating ways and means by which if I bought one I could power it from the MBW socket on the bike, whilst still keeping the cable intact so that it could still be swapped into the car.

Chris

There is a few photos on the link below, they are a bit small but should be OK. I suppose you could cut the car cable and make a couple of patch leads for moving them back and forth. Let me know how you get on although I'll probably end up buying either the Garmin motorcycle cable or the GPSW one which is supposed to be available from May.

3-Vehicle-Mount.jpg

http://www.globalpositioningsystems..._id=2423&pp_id=&category_id=2&rp=allprods.php

Touratech still hadn't sent my power/audio lead before I left for Land's End so I took the car lead/speaker/bracket and just left it charging overnight.

The internal batteries lasted for the 5 hours down there with the baclight off, and on the way home, I had the backlight on all the way and it lasted all 5 hours again.

Bear in mind that it only seems to take a couple of hours (literally) to charge the Quest from almost dead, to full.... and on a full charge you'll get well over a day, probably two, of riding from it...

the point being, if you take the mains charger, if you're anywhere that you stop for lunch (for example) and there is a power outlet, you could plug it in for the time you're at that location. If you only got 30-60 mins a day to do that, you'd probably find it enough to keep the batter topped up enough?

worth baring in mind on longer journeys as an option :D

JohnC said:
Thanks all, good idea btw Swebb. Fanum, is that part number 01-065-0257-0?

John

No idea...just the lead and bracket that comes with it...the car kit....

All I did was take the screw-in hinge pin from the arm that ends in a sucker and stuck it in me tank bag.

Yep, that's what I meant, just use the supplied charging thingy for now. Obviously it's not waterproof so you'd need to get around that with tesco bags if it was raining.

The part no above is the TT lead I think.

I've fitted mine to the bracket, but not yet wired it all in tidily under the tank. Works a treat with the autocom, but it's clearly designed to go on switched supply as it has a voltage regulator shrinkwrapped into the cable. So I'll need to chop the plugs and extend stuff.

Ian, thats what I was trying to ask Fanum, whether that was the TT cable. So I take it you're going down the home spun cable route rather than buying a dedicated cable? Are you going to do without using it in the car then?

Nope, got the TT one for the bike, and leave the garmin bracket in the wife's car.

Just fro your info I think the 20 hrs battery life is pretty accurate. Set off for the lake district Sat morning 7:30 and turned the Quest off at about 17:30 - 10 hrs straight with no backlight. Returned Sun 9:00 to 14:30 - 5.5 hrs, again no backlight.

15.5 hrs varying from navigating to just following the road and still life left showing on the battery icon.

Obviously need a charger for anything over two days though.

Adam :)

a 12 hour trip to skye for lunch and back on saturday with backlight on for some of the time in cold and rain for part of the trip almost exhausted my internal battery...... although I've had 18 hours out of it previously ok........ so carefull if its cold outside!!!

Hi Guys..

I suggest you ponder before you get the cable snippers out, I had posted this message earlier so please remember ..

The GPSW QPAC project has been interesting so far cos, I learn that different V-regulator chips have been used in the 'G' auto mount and the 'G' bike mount.

Ongoing tests in climatic condition with heat (sun, air temp and charging) reveals that the Voltage Regulator (Vreg) Chip needs to be the higher rated version. The 'G' bike mount V-regulator has a higher temp rating up to 125 deg C. The tests reveal that a higher rated chip is needed especially when there's a combination of the above and your on a hot dusty Dakar run or anywhere its bl**dy hot.

RAM-man

Back
Top Bottom