Zumo 340LM Alternative Mount

shuck raider

Gone Fishin'
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 340LM which was fitted and hard wired to my F750GS. That bike is now gone, replaced by a new BSA 650 Gold Star which has a nifty USB port (A and C) on the bars.

Short of butchering the existing Garmin cradle, is there a mount which would enable me to RAM mount the rear charging port of the 340 (the bit covered by the rubber flap) to the USB port? The existing Garmin mount which locates via 2 gold pins won't work with a USB cable. Don't really want to hard wire the unit if possible.

Sorry if this is a bit non-technical, I can do some photos if it's not clear.

Ta

You've one possible and one definite problem. Firstly, try powering the Zumo with a loose USB lead from the USB A port. If it works, rather than thinking it's connected to a computer, you might be in with a chance. The Zumo mounting cradle covers most of the rubber flap, which is obviously there to keep water out. If you remove the flap you MIGHT get a USB connector in next to the mount but it's very tight and cutting away at the mount means you'll probably lose one of the screws that would attach it to the RAM mount. Here's a photo of a Zumo 350 (identical to the 340 apart from the mapping) to illustrate the problem. If you can work out which of the two pins on the cradle are positive and negative you might be able, with a bit of soldering and heat-shrink sleeving, be able to cut the end of a USB cable and the output lead of the Garmin power converter and join them together.

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_161701132[1].jpg
    IMG_20230506_161701132[1].jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 29
You might also be able to get a usb charging only lead with the data cables not connected to stop the unit thinking it’s connecting to a computer.

Back
Top Bottom