So Much for ABS!!

(RIP) Yosi

Reaction score
So much for ABS!!

This morning I left for work land although the weather was dry, the road was very damp from last nigh and as you’ll see very slippery. As usual in the morning the ABS lights were oscillation, meaning not working
Went round the corner and bang!! A car left his off road parking bay into the main road between parked vehicles straight in front of my path. Nothing I could do. Slam on the brakes and the next thing I knew I was sliding on the pavement towards the car.
Smashed into it, with damage to the bike but fortunately not to myself:
Beak smash to pieces, indicator, engine cover, and worst my beautiful Hellas lights all broken.

So, does anyone have a spare beak in the garage?
Is possible to ride the bike beak-less? Heard a theory once the beak act as a channel ducting air into the oil cooler, Right or wrong?

No doubt that if the B**dy ABS was working, I could have stop safely. The mean reason I bought the eleven is for the ABS, following a slide I had in the old R100GSPD, the consequences of which I’m still feeling

At least you're ok - the bike can be fixed.

Can't answer your question though sorry.

Yosi:

Re: ABS lights flashing: Get a decent battery. A Hawker Odyssey PC 680 will fix that problem for you. I only get flashing ABS lights if I don't ride the bike for 3 weeks, with the alarm being on.

Re: Beakless Bike: Yes it's possible (and no problem. Wunderlich even do a kit for the removed beak. Personally, I think it looks awful, but YMMV.

The beak does channel air into the oil cooler, but to be frank, I don't think it's going to make that much difference, unless you are riding flat out all day in 40 degrees. Not much chance of that happening over the next few weeks.

Yosi,

Really sorry to hear your bad news - glad you're in one piece. Sorry can't help on the spare beak :(

As Mr K says, no beak no problem.

Graham

Glad you`re ok Yosi...you`ll soon fix the bike.

Hope you got their details,and the dozy twonk pays for it.

The beak does channel air to the cooler,but it`ll work just as well without it...otherwise every bike would have a beak.

Hard way to find out 'exactly' what red flashing lights mean.

Glad you are ok guess it could have been far worse
Tim

Hard cheese Yosi.
I once de-beaked the 1100. Looked quite smart to me.

Attachments

• bmw 001 (small).jpg
    bmw 001 (small).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 275
If not a new battery...

Consider a trickle charger. I have one of the tiny BMVV ones and leave it plugged in all the time the bike is in the garage. Voltage is kept high enough that I NEVER get the ABS lights blinking after I've ridden off.

Sods Law says that you'll hit something in the 3 minutes it takes to charge your battery, switch off and switch back on again. And you did. Bu**er!

Glad to hear you're OK. Hope you REALLY SHOUTED at that prat who pulled out. And that you managed to get at least two panels on his car...

Glad to hear you're OK. Hope you REALLY SHOUTED at that prat who pulled out.

No need...Mossad are on the case. ;)

Likewise Yosi, glad yer ok you cantankerous old git....does this mean you're not coming to Wales next weekend??

Back
Top Bottom