Not so much a trip, more of a……

You whetted my appetite. We used to pop over every now and then and it's a lovely part of the Pas-de Calais, the roads are so quiet with quaint seaside towns with small 'Allo 'Allo! type cafes. When you stand at the top of Cap Griz Nez, looking over the Channel at good old blighty, it's hard to imagine a large part of the German army standing there doing the same thing in the 1940s. So near, yet luckily, just far enough.

Great report Richard! Love the photo's. Just another tip for anyone interested but from Calais a run down the coast to just north of Fecamp to a tiny village called Sassetot le Mauconduit - about 240 km one way and an overnight stay at this place - Relais des Dalles https://www.lerelaisdesdalles.fr/ . Its also a Logis hotel and looks a bit tired when you arrive but the rooms are superbly cozy and the food, incredible. Family run, Mum works the hotel and son the kitchen.
We stayed here on our round trip of Normandy and I saw it was within easy reach of Calais for a weekend.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/7340009?lang=en"></iframe>

The hotels I stayed in were:

https://www.lentre-mers.fr/

http://hotel-neptune.com/UK/

At the first hotel, the owner suggested I park my bike where they park guests’ bicycles, which is away from the road.

At the second, the owner gave me the code for an electronic gate up the side street, behind which lives the hotel’s dustbins. At a push, you could maybe get two bikes into the space.

I have got back into the habit of securing my bike anyway.

Here’s an article (it translates well into English) on the burger / pizza place. The owner deserves to do well. It is not often I sing the praises of a burger but this one was very good. Nice people, as well.

https://actu.fr/hauts-de-france/ber...rnaville-une-affaire-de-famille_58403097.html

Merci Richard!

Peut-être je vais runnez-in ma Honda frelon en France quand elle arrive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roulez bien et bon courage, mon ami.

It is, if you live close enough, a great area to run a bike in, as it has a good mixture of roads, especially on day two. I usually try to knock off the 600 miles or whatever it is over a weekend, rather than just have it hanging around. Living in central London, means this is best done in one go, too.

An excellent write up and a few additional places to explore on future trips.

Funnily enough, my other half and I must have been criss-crossing your path over the weekend; we headed out to St Valerie on Friday, headed to Le Poix de Picardie and Le Treport on Saturday (went past the chateau in your photos at Arrest). Not far past Arrest, there was a village that seemed to be filled with one large chateau after another, however, we unfortunately did not stop for as many photos as you did, so don't have much more than a couple of photos of the bikes parked in the town centre in Desvres and a few beets in St V.

Returning on the Sunday, the weather was less than ideal, and about 10 miles from the ET terminal, Tracey complained her bike 'felt odd' to ride. Stopping, we discovered the culprit was a flat rear, quickly replenished by a can of tyre weld, but on the return to the garage yesterday received confirmation the 1,000 mile-old tyre was beyond repair and replaced with a new one.

Other than that, it was a successful first trip for the CB750 and hopefully the new tyre will last beyond the July trip to Brittany...

Attachments

• PXL_20230421_093138338.jpg
    PXL_20230421_093138338.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 141
  • PXL_20230421_160848170.jpg
    PXL_20230421_160848170.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20230421_164214987.jpg
    PXL_20230421_164214987.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 138
Thank you. Ships that pass in the night.

I quite often stop in Desirable Revs as I call it, for a coffee or a sandwich.

I don’t usually stop to take pictures. I did though notice that by doing so, my estimated time of arrival at my hotel, kept slipping away. That and no doubt because I was doing 50 mph, not the usual ‘progressive’ speeds, I have been known to ride the loop at.

I make a little note (sad fellow that I am) of my jaunts in my Little Black Book. The times on Saturday were overall about two hours behind past runs around the same roads. Hey-ho, that’s progress.

Glad you had a good time, despite the weather and a puncture.

Thanks fella - I found the V1 stuff really interesting.

Now I look into it, there are a load of sites recorded but very few, I guess, in any way restored, such as the one I visited.

I read that one of the sites (which was turned into a museum) closed when the owner died. Its contents were moved to the much larger display at La Coupole.

I’ll try to stop when on my own, at anything which looks odd or just nice.

That's the job of travelling on your own ;)
Mind you, I have one friend who's perfectly happy to follow along behind me & stop when I do whether it's to see something, to eat something or sleep somewhere without ever complaining or querying why. A perfect riding partner :thumb

Mind you, I have one friend who's perfectly happy to follow along behind me & stop when I do whether it's to see something, to eat something or sleep somewhere without ever complaining or querying why. A perfect riding partner :thumb

Wow, I've been trying to find someone like that for years......Might also start riding alone and with my silent pillion only for company....

Attachments

• IMG_5966.jpg
    IMG_5966.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 101

I too have been blessed in that way….. in fact with several friends. They probably take the piss behind my back but that is only normal.

Back
Top Bottom