elec probs

Deleted Member MS

Reaction score
Run 93 GS 100 up to Scotland last week but it wouldnt start the next day, battery dead. Got it jumped off by a friend, with j leads from his bike and it ran ok for a few miles. I noticed no ignition light at tickover, something which normally glows, obviously. Next thing was that even though i had my indicators on, no indicator idiot lights were showing. ??? It got worse, now when i put my indicators on the engine either stutterd or stopped altogether !!!!!!!!!!! At this point, after it stopped, it wouldnt start again. I guess the only reason it run for 20 mile or so after the restart was off the power given to my battery from friends jump off. The bike is now abandoned in S'land to be picked up next week.
What do i look for on its return. Fuses were all ok as were brushes and battery full. Do i look at diode board/v.regulator, and how do i test these ??

Thanks

Martin

sounds like the alternator rotor winding may have gone.

Another simple thing to check, before you start going "all expensive" is the charge light on the dash. When you turn on the ignition, lights come on the dashboard...... Do they all still come on as normal?

The rotor windings are connected to the bulb on the dash &, if this blows, the stator windings don't excite & you get no charging, so.....flat battery within an hour or two.

If the bulb's OK, take off the outer part of the alternator & check the stator slip rings for continuity. It'll be one of these two, most likely.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom