NEW BMW Continental Teves brakes 2006

Dr.ABS Brake

As you know BMW drops their heavily debated integral brakes from FTE Automotive in late 2006. They replace it with integral brakes from Continental Teves that come less complex and should be therefore more reliable.

Officially there's no confirmation of Continental delivering the next braking system. Officially there's only known that they (BMW) are developing a new one.

But the sources were obviously insider of Continental Teves or BMW. Mayby both. At least MOTORRAD (Germany) did know about this changes in September 2004. And I do know about these changes since late September 2004. The journalist Wolfgang Zeyen was writing the article about the mess with the FTE integral brakes in detail in TOURENFAHRER (Germany) 02/2005. But he's also working for continental both in developing and as a PR-guy. You see? I suspect a lot of jounalists in Germany did know about the 'upcoming' changes. They all know each other.

According to their (Continentals) press release "with the Continental Teves integral brake system, the rider builds up pressure in the front or rear brake circuit directly by operating the lever or the pedal respectively. A pump automatically builds up pressure in the brake circuit not operated directly by the rider, taking account of the specific parameters for the motorcycle concerned and the ideal brake force distribution between the front and rear wheels."

The question remains: What happens if this pump of the second brake circuit fails?

Dr.

This tosser has just posted the same thing on the bmw club web site under the name press_officer. Identify youself and tell us why you keep telling us the same crap.

Originally posted by luke scott ... tell us why you keep telling us the same crap. [/B]

Oh - this is not 'the same crap'. Indeed I asked Continenteal Teves this minute direct my questions. Wait for their answer. I will cross-post it here and there.

Dr.

I just got the answer of Mercedes for doing this recall of SBC brakes. There have been very few complaints from customers about the SBC brakes, mostly from customers that drive (and brake) a lot like Taxidrivers. There was not one single case the backup brakes did not work properly, or the warning light did not indicate the failure. Everything is legal and in compliance with int. mot standards.

The recall is just based on precaution of Mercedes. They offer every customer without charging the check of the SBC brakes.

Anyway, I never heard BMW doing the same. Did you?

Dr.

Dr.ABS Brake said:
I just got the answer of Mercedes for doing this recall of SBC brakes. There have been very few complaints from customers about the SBC brakes, mostly from customers that drive (and brake) a lot like Taxidrivers. There was not one single case the backup brakes did not work properly, or the warning light did not indicate the failure. Everything is legal and in compliance with int. mot standards.

The recall is just based on precaution of Mercedes. They offer every customer without charging the check of the SBC brakes.

Anyway, I never heard BMW doing the same. Did you?

Dr.

You need to get a life & get out more, I've seen your threads on other sites, you're obsessed with ABS & BMW:cool:

Got to agree Steve, if he's not carefull he'll be getting the reputation of oprah.winfrey.hazard@ hotmail.:eek: :eek: Not that he didn't provide a lively debating point, especially with our colonial cousins.;) ;)

John Armstrong said:
Got to agree Steve, if he's not carefull he'll be getting the reputation of oprah.winfrey.hazard@ hotmail.:eek: :eek: Not that he didn't provide a lively debating point, especially with our colonial cousins.;) ;)

You do realise that Dr Brake, and Ms Hazard are one and the same person?

He was interviewed in the BMW special of Motorrad magazine (in German). I keep meaning to post a write up, but I need to get a round tuit.

Anyway, the man behind the Dr seemed like a nutter with a point, if you see what I mean. Servo failures do happen, and the residual braking is a little on the weak side, and Dr Brake did his best to bring it to the attention of BMW, but did not feel he got the response he felt he deserved, and so he went nuclear.

I'm only surprised that he didn't get sacked by his employers, as he seemed to spend about 90% of his time posting on about 1000000 different biker bulletin boards.

I agree, the world needs people like DR ABS, to counter the general apathy of the rest of us. If BMW was fitting bikes with braking systems they knew to be defective (and I'm not saying they do) then it would take a "nutter" to persue it and find the truth.

Remember when Ford decided that paying off dead relatives was cheaper than putting an extra bit of metal in their cars to protect the occupants? That's how big business thinks - you're kidding yourself if you think BMW cares about anything other than the bottom line.

Mouse said:

Remember when Ford decided that paying off dead relatives was cheaper than putting an extra bit of metal in their cars to protect the occupants?

Personally, I think fixing this was one of the worst things to happen to the car industry. Vehicles should be dangerous to the occupants. That danger helps to focus minds on the job at hand (i.e. watching the road and fellow road users). Since those nasty tin boxes started protecting their drivers from harm in the case of an accident, things have got a lot more dangerous for other road users.

(OK, I'm willing to make an exception for passengers. But drivers should have a ticking fragmentation device under their noses, primed to go off as soon as the front bumper as much as touches another vehicle).

Originally posted by Mouse If BMW was fitting bikes with braking systems they knew to be defective (and I'm not saying they do) then ...

Today I received communication of the DA in Munich. He confirmed investigation of the case FRAUD.

Let's propose that if BMW knows that the brakes are bad and BMW knows that if it told the truth then nobody would buy the bike. Instead of telling the truth, it says the brakes are fine, that could be a fraud because it combines misrepresentation and action leading to enrichment.

But maby the DA only need to demonstrate that BMW did not take appropriate care in the design or in distribution of bikes with faulty brakes. Then the DA don't even need to prove BMW knew the brakes are bad- only that it should have known this as the company is full of engineers.

Well, I don't know. I am not the DA, this was his decision, not mine. But it was me who gave him the hint. ;)

Dr.

Today I received communication of the DA in Munich. He confirmed investigation of the case FRAUD.

yeah - maby baby.
That'll scare em, huh ?
You got millions to go to court with ? you'll be needing it,.

Talk about obsessed.

Heres a hint - sell your BMW - buy something else - forget about it - move on - get a life.

Accept that the fatherland aren't good at everything - except maby(sic) forum posting...

Sales numbers are what prompts action - not this crap.

... Sales numbers are what prompts action ...

I have to review my translation of "DA". I translated the German term "Staatsanwalt" with the American term "state attorney" or "district attorney". Maybe it would be better translated with the term "Federal Prosecutor"? Or "Criminal Prosecutor for the State"? My research clearly showed me that the term has to be translated to "Prosecutor"!

I am not a native speaker of english language. To make it simple we know a prosecutor, a defence counsel and judges.

The first phase of a German criminal prosecution is pre-trial investigation to determine if there are grounds for a formal indictment. And that's exactly what's happening now. After that if a prosecutor determines that there is, the case is transferred to the appropriate German court.

Pre-trial investigation is only done if there is evidence! To get more information about this evidence I have to engage a lawyer. And that's exactly what I will do in about 2-3 weeks. The only problem would be that it could be forbidden to publish this 'more information'.

The investigation about fraude was not (!) my idea, it was the idea of the federal prosecutor. But 'bodily harm' won't suit until there are crashes reported to the prosecutor.

Dr.

Two things matter on a bike - tyres and brakes - nothing else (well, maybe steering!).

I agree with Mouse - Dr ABS Brake is working very hard to get to the bottom of what could cost any one of us, with servo-brakes, an accident.

Big business does NOT listen, unless they think they will lose consumer confidence - I am amazed that a story about faulty brakes from BWM has not made the 9 O'clock News/CNN/Press (more - I saw the Sunday Times article by Kevin Ash).

I've tried servo-off braking and it works, but you do stop more slowly.

I think the GS is brilliant, but I'm always worried by reports of failed servos - if an R1 at 190mph does not need one, what does?

Keep up the good work Dr.

A

[
yeah - maby baby.
That'll scare em, huh ?
You got millions to go to court with ? you'll be needing it,.

Talk about obsessed.

Heres a hint - sell your BMW - buy something else - forget about it - move on - get a life.

Accept that the fatherland aren't good at everything - except maby(sic) forum posting...

Sales numbers are what prompts action - not this crap. [/B]

Maby the Ocker should stop being so cynical and see how his German is before criticising. Perhaps the Dr is obsessed, but a fair point is being made.

Let's assume that everything said by Dr ABS is 100% correct,that there is a major safety problem with some types of braking system.
He has been posting this information for a long time now.
How many people on this forum have bought a BMW with the 'faulty' braking system after he first revealed the faults.
Obviously the answer is going to be 'None'.
If the answer is 'Quite a few',then perhaps he'll realise what BMW probably realise,faults or not,people will keep buying them.
It's also interesting after all the 'ABS or not' discussions,where those of us who choose to use our abilities were told often that an ABS back-up is the real answer, now are subjected to these threads about ABS that allegedly doesn't work.
So,you can't ride properly,get ABS,the ABS is not 100% reliable,therefore what are you doing on the road?.
In the Hislop thread,the comment was made that due to his lack of helicopter time,he shouldn't have been flying,yet,using this and Dr ABS's comments as a basis,we have people who cannot brake in an emergency without mechanical/electrical assistance relying on a flawed system!
I've no doubt DR ABS no longer rides his bike and finds it un-sellable because with his knowledge of it's potential problems,he wouldn't endanger someone elses life by trying to pass it off as safe.
Yes,I know this has turned into a bit of a rant,but for feck's sake,if you deem it dangerous,just sell it and buy something that works,don't keep riding it and squeeling'It might kill me!'
How on earth did we survive the 70's and 80's without all these safety aids?

Le singe,

... after he first revealed the faults. ...

you should join AFMB. It's free. There's a warning message:

http://82.230.114.102/~afmb/message_page.html

You will find in the member section more stuff like these, these guys are really hard on how this system works under every circumstances.

They had contact to BMW France. You may ask them about the result. :)

Dr.

I've got no ABS,no servo,just old-fashioned ability,after I completed my apprenticeship on mopeds/250s,it's never let me down,when it does,I will e-mail you for an address to complain to,or I'll get a Harley :D

Le singe said:

Yes,I know this has turned into a bit of a rant,but for feck's sake,if you deem it dangerous,just sell it and buy something that works,don't keep riding it and squeeling'It might kill me!'
How on earth did we survive the 70's and 80's without all these safety aids?

It's not the possibility of ABS failing that worries me... the possibility of the servo failing is quite another.. I've had to brake without the servo working, due to a screw up on my part, not the bike's and I did not enjoy the experience of residual braking... totally crap IMO.

Dr.ABS Brake said:
I have to review my translation of "DA". I translated the German term "Staatsanwalt" with the American term "state attorney" or "district attorney". Maybe it would be better translated with the term "Federal Prosecutor"?

State or Federal Prosecutor would be the best translation. The German legal system is totally different to the British and American legal system, so it's better not to use existing terms from their legal systems (I used to work as a translator, and this is how we did it.)

Back
Top Bottom