Fitting GSA Top Box To Stock Rear Rack on the Africa Twin

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im going to reuse my GSA top case on the Africa Twin. The brackets are easily removed from the bottom and I will just bolt the topcase directly to the bike. Can I just bolt the case to the existing AT rack, with the 4 bolt holes or would you recommend I get a rack in-between the two? I see Rugged Roads has a black rack, but I was concerned the case would clash with the two luggage loops on there rear end the bend upward. I'm not sure how strong the stock rack is on its own

I suggest you use something to stiffen the base of the box-- either a plate or at least some strips of steel/aluminium of similar dimensions to the existing rails and re-use the big washers on the inside.

The box on its own isn't very stiff at all and would probably crack around the mount points.
I removed the rails from one of these recently to modify it for another bike and was surprised how flimsy it felt without the rails to stiffen it.

Thanks Steve, thats very handy to know! I might just grab a piece of aluminium plate for the base of the box in that case!

is there anyway to transfer the BMW base plate across and hence make it removable etc ? Seems like a good option as I like my bmw box.

anyone near to mark hooton for a test fitting of a top box plate for the AT? He will work one up if we can provide a bike....

I'm not near Mark but I can provide a spare GSA rack if he needs to look at it. I'm also interested in buying a plate so long as it's for a 1200 GSA LC top box.

I'm not near Mark but I can provide a spare GSA rack if he needs to look at it. I'm also interested in buying a plate so long as it's for a 1200 GSA LC top box.
Mines a twin cam rack and box. @Mark hooton

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, the SW Motech rack worked perfectly. It has 4 M6 threaded lugs on it, So i just bolted the GSA top box straight onto the SW Motech Rack (with a 4mm Aluminium plate in-between) using some button head bolts. So to remove the top case, its 4 allen bolts and you're left with the SW Motech luggage rack.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 271
Nice one, James.:thumb

First impressions of the AT?

I want to use my vario top case. As I don't have my bike yet, anyone confirm how or suggest a way to attach my vario base plate to the AT? James, can you possibly post the model of the SW rack you bought? Maybe, just maybe its similar to the GS vario rack...Oh please do...

I want to use my vario top case. As I don't have my bike yet, anyone confirm how or suggest a way to attach my vario base plate to the AT? James, can you possibly post the model of the SW rack you bought? Maybe, just maybe its similar to the GS vario rack...Oh please do...

This was the rack, but the I don't think it will work with the Vario in the same way. The aluminium case has a flat bottom to screw through and the advantage of being steel. Have a look, the rack bolts to the oem bolt holes on the bike, then once installed there are 4 lugs to screw into (which would normally hold the SW Motech bobbins for their top case)

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Honda-CRF1000-L-Africa-Twin--15---Steel-Luggage-Rack.html

Back
Top Bottom