Peripherique - How busy on a Saturday morning?

adamski49

Reaction score
Simple question really. We intend to travel down to Thiers on Saturday using the autoroutes and the quickest way (according to the GPS) is to use the peripherique. I'm not fazed by this but the others that I'm travelling with are nervous of it being gridlocked or painfully slow.

My experience of the peripherique is the exact opposite, i.e. warp speed requiring your full attention until you're spat out the other side in search of the first services and a chance to wind down :D

Is it still the same or should we try and skirt Paris?

TIA

Adam :)

adamski49 said:
Simple question really. We intend to travel down to Thiers on Saturday using the autoroutes and the quickest way (according to the GPS) is to use the peripherique. I'm not fazed by this but the others that I'm travelling with are nervous of it being gridlocked or painfully slow.

My experience of the peripherique is the exact opposite, i.e. warp speed requiring your full attention until you're spat out the other side in search of the first services and a chance to wind down :D

Is it still the same or should we try and skirt Paris?

TIA

If it's a nice day, it'll be jam-packed with weekend drivers (the most dangerous kind). Usually ends around 13:00.

Thanks Mike.

I figure we'll get to the peripherique about 12:30 so should just catch the tail end of it. I can live with that.

I'll bow to Mike's superior knowledge here but in my experience traffic is always pretty heavy on the peripherique.

Unfortunately you only need one accident to bring the whole thing to a grinding halt.

I try to avoid it like the plague as it's so unpredictable.

Cheers

Dick

A lottery for sure! I haven't ever been on it riding a bike and to be honest it isn't an experience I crave. Maybe the one place I would enjoy driving a Humvee again!

So basically if we get through without a hitch fair enough, if it all goes belly up I'm in the firing line for even suggesting it :D

Adam

PS Pascals a pussy ;)

Just read my article on "Riding in France". There's a bit on the Perif, but as I say in the article "you're biggest danger are NOT the cars, but the otehr bikes" !! Stay towards the right lanes and you'll be fine (if not, I'll come and visit you in the hospital)...

Mike

I've read the article before and took note about getting in the way of the quicker local bikes so decided we might be as well to trundle around on the inside lane... we'll probably be the slowest ones there even if we break the speed limit.

Red mist permitting, we'll be fine - it's just another road after all.

Adam

AFAIK traffic joining the peri has right of way. Can be a touch scary if you're in the "inside" lane.

Take care.

Cheers

Dick

Good point Dick, thanks.

I'm still fairly confident that as long as we go with the flow and are progressive enough when we need to be we'll be fine.

The Paris ring road is absolutely BRILLIANT fun on a GS at 3am. Urban Mad Max vibes.

From one who knows.

;)

retroman said:
The Paris ring road is absolutely BRILLIANT fun on a GS at 3am. Urban Mad Max vibes.

From one who knows.

;)

Except Saterday on Sunday AM. Mad house with souped up GTI full of drunken burbs going home at 200 kph....

Back
Top Bottom