Shipping to the UK from the US

chuckh

Anyone have experience completing transactions for motorcycling gear with US companies who would like to share what worked well (and what didn't)?

Yup Me

Ordered quite a bit of stuff from US dealers (in very small letters - Harley Stuff).

via Fax and Phone and more recently WEB, Good experience no probs but got caught for import tax on a couple but not all :).

Usual taktic is send erm a fax with wot yer want ask for one back by return as a quote and then a quick call with the credit card number to do the deal, worth trying a few shops prices / tax seams to change between them.

G....

US -> UK Import

We get stuffed on Import Tax and VAT. It can put ~40% on the price which is obviously not an incentive.
For small, low value stuff I have risked it in the past; some stuff got thru some didn't I have been charged by the Delivery Company on my doorstep.
Persuading the vendor to mark the packet as either a "gift" or "used parts" can help but if the package is covered in vendors logos it can be a bit obvious. Also a risk of comeback to the vendor I guess.
I bought an Aero Darien the other year and there was no way they were getting involved in any subterfuge - can't blame them.
The only halfway foolproof method I can see is to ship to a friend or relative in the US and get them to repackage the goods and send on the paperwork in a separate delivery.
It worked for me but its not an ideal system.
Shame - I'd like one of your HID kits and a Titanium light bar ;)

Copy of info from the Customs notice.

2.1 Which goods can get relief?
Small non commercial consignments which one private person sends as gifts to another, and:

contain goods exclusively for the personal use of the recipient or his/her family which do not by their nature or quantity indicate any commercial intent;
for which the sender does not require payment of any kind from the recipient; and are of an occasional nature.
2.2 Are there any limits?

Yes. In order to qualify for relief, consignments must:

not exceed:
45 euros (£36) in value (excluding handling, insurance and freight charges) for each recipient;

If there is no legal manner to avoid VAT and other import duties, what is the best method to sell products in the UK/Europe?

Should I consider establishing a primary distributor who can then resell to other BMW or moto dealerships? Or, is there another approach that would work better? I would like to see our Micatech products available for a reasonable price in the UK/Europe.

All the Best,

Chuck

chuckh said:
I would like to see our Micatech products available for a reasonable price in the UK/Europe.

All the Best,

Chuck

So would I :D

chuckh said:
If there is no legal manner to avoid VAT and other import duties, what is the best method to sell products in the UK/Europe?

Should I consider establishing a primary distributor who can then resell to other BMW or moto dealerships? Or, is there another approach that would work better? I would like to see our Micatech products available for a reasonable price in the UK/Europe.

All the Best,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

That is the model followed by many of your compatriots who manufacture goods like Corbin, Jessie, RAM.

It doesn't though make things particularly 'cheap' for the buyer, for instance a Corbin seat for my bike is listed as $299US, price here £299(UK) but in the UK we tend to have to get used to that, even compared to prices on mainland Europe.

Ultimately if the goods are worth it people will pay, or get on a plane to the States and buy it there, trouble with that is you can't walk into any town and pick of the shelf your Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, Corbin Saddle and Jessie Bags :(

I have in the past bought from Chrome World & Jim Venne for Goldwing bits and I buy all my photographic gear in the USA, I have a friend who I shoot with and I have all the stuff sent to him then pick it up when I visit, which is usually once a year.
I take empty cases and always travel with a rifle, this gets all the attention on the return trip.

Back
Top Bottom