Warning about insurance for Switzerland

guitarman

Already posted this in BCB but thought it might be useful here as well.

As you probably all know by now a green card isn't necessary any more as all insurance must provide the minimum cover required across the EU. Some companies however still charge extra to "extend" your UK cover to Europe (i.e comprehensive rather than just RTA)

I've just received my documentation for my ebike insurance and called them to confirm that my policy has the same cover in the Europe as it does here in the UK and was given some rather worrying information.

Although it does cover me across Europe it doesn't cover me for Switzerland as the Swiss have not signed up to the EU Fourth Motor Insurance Directive and aren't covered by the the agreement the rest of the EU countries have made. Ebike go as far as saying they can't provide any extension of cover to Switzerland

If anyone else has any information on this perhaps they'd like to share it with us meanwhile if you're going to be going through or visiting Switzerland it's probably a good idea to call your insurer first and get it in writing that you're covered.

This isn't a joke or a wind up btw.

Happy riding.

Cheers

Dick

guitarman said:
... as the Swiss have not signed up [like]..... the rest of the EU countries ....

But Dick, Switzerland isn't in the EU!

Greg

Fully aware of this when I took out my eBike policy (read all the small print trying to figure out why it was so cheap) but as Switzerland wasn't on our itinerary this year I didn't worry.

This may change on the future apparently, but not much good if you want to visit Switzerland in the meantime.

Carole Nash cover you in Switzerland (again, I compared policies before taking out the eBike policy) and I would guess most do.

Basically you need to check the zones that are covered.

Worth making people aware though.

Adam

Re: Re: Warning about insurance for Switzerland

Greg Masters said:
But Dick, Switzerland isn't in the EU!

Greg

I am aware of that Greg :D

The point is that many people probably assume that they have cover in Switzerland as they know they have cover in EU countries and Europe and EU are interchangeable terms in most folk's minds.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom