Shipping Kit

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Shipping the bike to the US in September on ro-ro. Anyone know if it`s safe to send bike gear with it? i.e boots, helmet, tent etc etc. Not taking too much but don`t want to lug all the kit through the airport!!

:beer:

I flew my bike to Vancouver in 2002 and was told here that the panniers had to be empty. At Toronto Airport, staff there said I could have carried stuff in them, but I think they were wrong.

I take it you are travelling with Wallenius Line? Why not contact Tony White on 02380-637233 as we will know.

I'll be shipping with them to the East Coast next year. Will you be flying out to meet the bike?

I would have thought it would be ok so long as everything in the panniers is on the inventory. The boreocrats would freak when they saw bike and panniers on documentation but on inspection that it has more than that, like computers they cannot tolerate any deviation from the formula.

We have shipped vehicle (van) to Seattle using RO-RO before on Wallenius.

The rules indeed were that you could have nothing in your vehicle such as personal effects etc. You could get away with maps, tool kit, some vehicle parts, but that's it.

It is just the house rule of that particular line into the USA.

Chris,

Thinking of doing the same, how much have you been quoted?

Cheers,
Havan

I and a couple of friends are planning to ship our ADV to New York to discover the big wide world and i am currently looking into this, so details would be great.
I have been quoted £1000 for 3 bikes to be shipped. Takes 10 days then we will fly to meet it.

Harps

Back
Top Bottom