Commuter returns to Bike School in USA

Commuter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after 4 months of being in the USA, I am seriously missing my bike the open road and the fact that the weather is great and I am missing it, plus the snow will be coming soon. :eek:

With this is mind 2 months ago I started researching into obtaining my motorcycle license in the USA as the Department of Motor Vehicles will not recognise my UK license at all for both car and bike (Sorry full test or course required sir.) I cannot explain how frustrating this system is. :spitfire

I am a bike operator for over 10 years in the UK. In the State of Massachusetts I have had to take the following as my license from the UK and riding experience will not even allow me to test ride a demo bike at the dealers. :(

1. A multiple choice written test (20 questions, 14 is the pass mark) to obtain my "learner's permit" Cost $35.00

2. I then have a choice.
a: Go to the test directly on my own bike (I cannot buy a bike until I pass my test :rolleyes:) Cost - $35.00 if you can rent a bike ($250.00 plus insurance per day - Only Harleys or Goldwings !!) – Read impossible (6 figure of 8s and a road observation)

b: Take a 15 hour course consisting of 5 hours classroom and 10 hours riding and not have to take the test - Cost $325.00

Therefore, Commuter decides, ok to make this, easy I will go play on silly 250 nighthawks for 2 days and go to back to CLASS (how difficult can it be!!) passing the multiply choice question took 10 minutes and had 1 motorbike related question.

I arrive with a nothing to lose attitude at class and meet Ted (the arsehole) instructor.

Ted tells us on arriving and I quote “we will talk about the training only, you will listen and I will teach and tell you how great bikes are for 5 hours and then give you a 30 minute multiply choice question test with all your papers and workbooks on the table in front of you.” Oh my god where am I!!!

With the 5 hour class and multiple choice "exam" dusted off and me newly named Chris as Ted is unable to read my name tag.

The following day return for 2 days of “On bike training” The class consists of mixed ability and all types: I meet Ian, who’s dad just bought him an R1 and he has to pass this test to go riding with mates to New York this weekend (I am glad I am not on that road!!)

Our bike training consists of get on bike, start bike, stop bike, get off bike. Get on bike, use clutch, stop, get off bike, ride in a straight line. Brake, U turn and weaving between cones (several metres apart) NO ROAD RIDING – All in a car park behind the classroom.

This continues for 2 days, I get shouted at for getting all things right, I shouldn’t be so confident after a few hours I am told. (I have explained my situation at the beginning of the class) My clutch and sight are good around the cones (thank god, I was worried)

So to draw to a close, I am now a fully qualified motorcycle pilot in the USA. I did not have to complete any other exams, just complete the 2 days training. I can go anywhere and do anything. However on leaving I was advised that my hill starts, junction movements and interstate experience will come as I get better and these are things we are not able to practice at class :eek: :eek: :eek:

R1 Ian passed too and took his bike out at home and was back at the centre within 30 minutes of passing on it……he looked scared shitless when he arrived, I hope he makes the weekend.

As for the course, Ted and the riding regulations in this country………I am lost how such an advanced country has such a bad system and maybe it explains why so many people are anti bikes and why the motorbike accident statistics rise every year.

Next step.....the bike purchase and registration.

Commuter said:
As for the course, Ted and the riding regulations in this country………I am lost how such an advanced country has such a bad system and maybe it explains why so many people are anti bikes and why the motorbike accident statistics rise every year.

Welcome to America :D You wait to you get pulled by the cops for doing something, that in Europe would be viewed as not only acceptable, but as nothing more than ensuring your own safety. They don't care if you get run down by an SUV or worse.

By the way, I assume you have no intention of going anywhere near Boston on your bike? If yes, it was nice knowing you. :(

Now for the scary part

The frightening thing is that the 21 year old blonde talking on the phone in the 7,000 pound SUV next to you didn't even have to go through that much training. Just need a daddy with good credit.

I think there are several states that don't even require any motorcycle training or special endorsement.

Nick
Can't you get an international driving licence - there used to be such a thing , if I remember the AA used to be able to issue them . Typical feckin yanks to think there's is better than anyone else's when in reality it is likely to be inferior. I just hope we do the same over here to visiting Yanks - after finger printing and generally humiliating them at the airport when they land.
Cheers
Gecko

PS should have stayed in sunny Europe mate :D

International driver's licence

The international DL is just a translation of your driver's license. It doesn't really mean anything to the cops.

The only benefit i'm aware of is in countries where the police may not be familiar with the format of your DL, or where the leo's require that you have documents in thier language.

Italy, for one, is a country where i've heard the IDL can save you some hassles.

And as far as us "yanking" you guys around, there is no problem with riding a bike over here with whatever license you have. I think the problem here comes from Commuter wanting to purchase and register a bike over here. As for reciprocity, have you ever looked into the nightmare of one of us nasty yanks trying to buy and register a bike legally in Europe? I have, and commuter's experience was a cakewalk in comparison.

I really wish we would adopt the restrictions in cc's etc. as well as the far more stringent testing that you have in the UK.

As for reciprocity, have you ever looked into the nightmare of one of us nasty yanks trying to buy and register a bike legally in Europe? I have, and commuter's experience was a cakewalk in comparison.

Could you be more precise, please?

Buying a bike in Europe

Recently, I started doing some research for a 2-3 month trip to Europe. Wanting to make this a riding vacation I considered the following options.

1. Renting a bike.
2. Buying used and selling once the trip was done.
3. Buying a US spec bike through a factory European delivery program.
4. Shipping my bike over and back.

What I found out was:

1. Renting - Very expensive for the length of time, roughly $100 a day.

2. Buy used - Too many unknowns. Don't want to end up with a bike in the shop for half my vacation and don't want to cut the vacation short by a week to give myself enough time to re-sell it.

In order to register a bike I have to have a European address, don't have one but if I did i'd be going through the Insurance, taxes, license etc, hassles. I stopped even considering it as an option when I saw all the ways it could go wrong. If I had to get a motorcycle endorsement in addition to everything else it could kill a lot of time.

3. Euro Delivery - No manufacturer currently offers a European delivery program to US residents, with the exception of military and diplomatic corps

4. Shipping - The option I have settled on. Makes the most sense for my particular circumstances. I get to ride a bike I'm familiar with and have confidence in, the cost is less than $2,000 there and back. No funky taxes, laws or regulations to worry about or try to circumvent.

Sorry, that was kind of a long explanation. I envy you guys who can just hop on the bike and run down to Italy for a week.

Commuter, if it makes you feel any better, Mass. would require me to jump through the same hoops if I wanted to buy and register a bike there. Even though I have a motorcycle endorsement from FLA.

Pete

Drivers licenses are handed out here like business cards. And for a few well placed bribes even a 3 or 4 time DUI convict can get a DL.

And to think the politically correct twats think that it's racist to even consider not giving a driver's license to someone those who shouldn't even be here in the first sodding place!!!!

jnrobert said:
Welcome to America :D You wait to you get pulled by the cops for doing something, that in Europe would be viewed as not only acceptable, but as nothing more than ensuring your own safety. They don't care if you get run down by an SUV or worse.

By the way, I assume you have no intention of going anywhere near Boston on your bike? If yes, it was nice knowing you. :(

Ahhhh ... the People's Republic of Massachusetts. Home of the Nanny Government at it's best.

Here my BRC course is going to cost $75, including the mandatory $25 membership to ABATE. Permit fee $10, license fee when I pass BRC will be I think $15 to update my DL with the "M" endorsement.

BTW, and IDP and valid out-of-US license should be good. We (the USA) are members of the 1949 compact that created the IDP. Whomever said an out-of-country motorbike license was invalid with IDP is incorrect, or just ignorant.

I went through much the same process when I moved to California in 1995. Despite my 35 years riding experience, had to go back to basics class to obtain a licence. Needed that to be able to get insurance on the motorcycle I was buying.
Contrary to your experience, mine was very good.
The theoetical side was much more pragmatic than many of areas covered in Oz, and the practical instruction was excellent.
The only issue I has was that they taught that if you lock up the rear brake in an emergency stop, KEEP IT LOCKED.
I thought that this was wierd. Not only that, I couldn't do it. My foot automatically feathered the brake whenever it locked. They called me "Mr ABS". But after 35 years experience, what could you expect.
But other than that, I had no complaints, I thought they were very professional.
I did have problems with the eye test though.
I am short sighted in my right eye, and sort of long sighted in my left eye, but somehow the brain seems to keep it all sorted.
I have no problems passing eye exams in Oz, and don't have to wear glasses, but in California, they test each eye individually.
Bit of a problem that, but I managed to cheat my way past it.
Do other states / countries do individual eye testing, or do they simply test your ability to see with both eyes?
Maybe California doesn't understand the function of the brain in the vision process.

I lived in Virginia from 89-92 and took my car test there. Same deal - UK licence OK only for holiday car hire.

The theory test was preceded by an eye test - if you needed (eye)glasses for distance vision you had to wear them for this test. The result governed firstly whether you could take the test and secondly the colour background of your licence. Red (as I recall it) meant your distance vision was OK without glasses. Blue meant you needed glasses to drive and you had better be wearing them if any VA policeman stopped you. The theory test was multiple choice and the pass mark was around 25/30.

Now to the fun bit, the practical test. Met the dragon lady from the Dept of Motor Vehicles complete with her clipboard. Sat in the car, secured seat belt. She asked if I knew how to start the car - so I gave a demonstration. Following crisply delivered instructions, I pulled right out of the parking lot, turned right at the first junction - about 50 yards away, took the first right again, and the the next right after that, and the next right then back into the parking lot. Total length of driving about 300 yards. Congratulations from dragon lady, test complete.

The surprise was to learn that some failed this 'practical' element.

Back
Top Bottom