Fork Brace

newman7096

Reaction score
Ok, its time for me to sort out my fork brace! :(

Its in a terrible state at the moment with no paint at all on the front face! :eek:

I can't be without the bike so this fix needs to be quick and easy! ;)

Im looking at buying some paint and I've heard that 'smootherite' silver is a good match. Any thoughts?

I'll rub it down and the hopefully get it sorted.

Once sorted it will be covered in copious amounts of ACF-50 (anti corrosion formula). :thumb

Is 'smootherite' the way to go? :eek

If it is made of aluminium, conventional paints (including smoothrite) won't stick for long unless the correct type of primer is applied first. You need a self-etch primer like acid-etch No 8, or yellow chromate primer. It is probably better to look at getting it anodised to prevent further corrosion by an electroplating company. Anodising gives a hardened surface finish over 1000 times harder than the aluminium itself, and is highly resistant to corrosion and abrasion yet is only a few microns thick. Thats why many aircraft and marine grade alloy fasteners are anodised to prevent corrosion.

As with any paint finish, the end result is only as good as the preparation.

you might want to buy a s/h one & paint that, then swap over if you need the bike.

Polish it - they come up lovely, and so easy to keep in good condition once polished :thumb

It is probably better to look at getting it anodised to prevent further corrosion by an electroplating company.

AFAIK if it's cast aluminium, anodising will just make it go black.

Needs to be good quality ally to anodise, as in machined billet or the like.

;)

Ok, its time for me to sort out my fork brace!

Why don't you wait til spring - let the winter do it's worst then get it done?

When mine gets really bad I'm going to get it and the fork lowers blasted and then either powder coated or painted or something.

Now thats very good advice Sarge. :thumb

Cookson, where did you hear that about turning black? How exactly would that happen? If I recall correctly (no doubt someone will correct me if wrong)the practise of anodising causes the surface of the alloy to become the 'anode' during electroplating and corrode away slightly leaving a hard oxide layer at the surface to protect the remaining material.

On warships the guardrail stanchions are rough cast alloy and they are anodised, and are a nice silver colour definitely not black, so I wonder why the blackness, unless it is due to impurities in the base metal ??

If I recall correctly (no doubt someone will correct me if wrong)the practise of anodising causes the surface of the alloy to become the 'anode' during electroplating and corrode away slightly leaving a hard oxide layer at the surface to protect the remaining material

yep that's right, it could get any colour depending on the etchant though...

I can't wait til spring to get it sorted, it'll drive me mad looking at that every day! :eek:

Steptoe's polishing option sounds good, how do I go about that then? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom