captive nuts-cut the bolt off or what?

david vaughan-birch

Reaction score
only a few more fasteners to replace with Steptoe's excellent kit-but I've hit a problem with one of the front pair of bolts that holds the luggage shelf down. I think it must be screwing into a captive bolt that's come loose so the bolt head turns without uncrewing. I could cut the head off, but knowing my mechanical competence I'll never be able to get at the nut. Any bright ideas?

Calling Steptoe

the front pair of bolts that holds the luggage shelf down
More details please. Not sure which bolts you mean. Schpeck Sir Steptoe will know though :thumb

At the front of the rack, in the channel just forward of where the pillion seat locates, are two hexagonal bolt heads (they also secure the ends of that bit of flat braided rope that I've never been able to think of a use for). At least they are bolts on mine-oddly the service manual seems to show them as allen-headed bolts. Anyway, I cant get at them from underneath! The reason for all this by the way is so I can get at the subframe and hammerite it before it rusts beyond repair

Hi Dave, eventually got round to having a look at mine, I think maybe you you mean the rear of the rack? I cannot actually see the nuts behind the bracket but I think judging by the way it is constructed that it must be a captive nut. Best I can suggest is finding a suitably sized flat blade screw driver to try and wedge the nut while you undo the bolt after mucho application of WD40.
Now you have pointed your problem I think I`ll be lubing that area to prevent the rust :thumb good luck.

Back
Top Bottom