Sympathy and understanding required...

walti

Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, and have been looking in since deciding to get a GS...

So I bought a really good second hand 1200 GS off a mate, his pride and joy....

Picked it up from his house on 18th rode it home (120 miles) and then went out for a ride on Friday 21st to do a bit of shopping....

On the way home bumped into a gentleman trying to answer his mobile phone, :tosser ended up with the GS in a ditch and an estimate of around £6000 to repair the bike. Just waiting to find out if it's a write off or not.

So 2 days of BMW R1200GS ownership a few bumps and bruises.

Can't wait to get back on one, either mine repaired or another one!

Hope you phoned the Police immediately to give a timestamp that proves the gobshite was using his mobile at the time :thumb

sorry to hear about your accident...at least you're here to tell us about it and in my book that's a good outcome... :thumb

walti said:
Police were called, phone use was admitted, liability accepted. Police "may" prosecute.
must point out if you are given the chance, do push for prosecution if not execution. a mate of mine was knocked off 5 years ago, the local plod asked him if he wanted the lady in question prosecuted or if they could send her on a driving course. ( this was asked whilest he was still a hospital, broken pelvis,shoulder and arm ) he thought, being the nice chap he is, that a driving course would make her less likely to do the same to some other poor biker. the insurance are now saying he must accept some blame as he did not push prosecution. be warned :spitfire

Welcome to the site,pity it`s under sad and unfortunate circumstances.. :(

On a lighter note....get the payout and buy a 'proper' GS.....an 1100... :D

I'm not saying it was not the case here but...

I hate the easy cop out that laws like no mobiles create. When a driver is on the phone they are breaking the law but it's wrong to assume all the blame should be put on them.

What about when a drivers smoking?

Or picking his nose?

Like i said it could all have been down to the use of a mobile here but be warned one day you might be victims of blanket assumptions of guilt.... like he was speeding therefore he was in the wrong or he was using a dark visor and therefore could not see (forget the fact it was sunny, the laws the law)

The police, certainly in Devon and Cornwall have changed their policy re prosecution in the past few years. If a party is considered to have committed an offence prosecution is now the norm.

I expect this is a national directive.

Peter

Update...

Bike is with Sawbridgeworth and the insurance company have just given them the go ahead to repair the bike!

From what I've seen and read about SBW Motorrad i'm sure a good job will be done! - just won't be quick enough, I want it back a week ago!

mobile phone takes drivers attention away from the car.... picking nose or smoking doesnt.......

(nose-picking smoker here, but i dont use a mobile in car or on bike)

Welcome to the site, glad to hear you and the bike are okay and re-united. Ride safe and keep grinning! :bounce1 :clap :thumb

Back
Top Bottom