Okay, now I'm in trouble...

Finbarr

Hey folks, I just joined the GS fraternity, so I thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I popped in to Sawbridgeworth BMW in Hertford on Saturday to pick up some bits for my aging old F560, got chatting about the GS and made the fatal mistake of taking a test ride.

Now, deposit paid, I have a sunny yellow BMW R1150GS sitting in the crate awaiting assembly. My wife was happy enough and I think glad to see the back of the F650 for something a bit less labour intensive. The bad news is, she's mandated that my GSX-R1100 has to go too.

Still, the GS is a wheeze and I can't wait to get me mits on it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I've enjoyed reading the various threads on ownership, and as someone who likes to do most of their own maintenance, I shall no doubt, be sticking my hand up and asking some newbie "how do I adjust the chain?" type questions, so please bear with me.

I've also got a Ducati 996 which is pretty much configured for track-days only, and when not being ridden, it's being pulled apart and tweaked with.

I'm looking forward to meeting up and going for a ride with you all - but till the bike arrives, the pints will all have to be virtual!

Cheers,
Finbarr. <--- newest UKGSer person!

Finbarr,

Congrats on the purchase, but why should the pints be virtual?

There's a meet tomorrow night at the Battleaxes pub near Elstree aerodrome, and we won't mind if you turn up on the 650, the GSXR or in the car, especially if you're buying the beer!!

Steve.

:D

Congrats Finbarr - ( i feel as if im in a maternity ward - thats 3 guys ive said congrats to in 3 days !)

These Gs are becoming far too common - or are they plasibos ?

Bilks..org

Top man Finbarr - congrats on the new ride.

I've had mine for a month (also from Sawbridgeworth) and am loving every minute of it!! 2 big problems though:
1) can't stop buying bits for it
2) can't stay away from these forums!!

I'm about 15 mins. away from St. Albans so hope to see you on the roads soon - you'll often see me blasting round the roads from Elstree to St. Albans, especially at the weekends. Look out for an 03 black GS.

Richard

Richard and Finbar

I'm in Radlett, so we should meet up for a wee blast, once I get the bike next weekend that is :D :D :D :D

Simon

Oh my God . . . with Wreford down there in St Albans it looks like there's a right posse developing. With new members springing up in Royston, St Neots, Cambridge, and Letchworth; with Steve Currell in St Ives and Eddie in Hitchin maybe we should migrate the BattleAxes meet up towards the Hitchin, Baldock, Stevenage area.
I won't be there at the Battleaxes tonight, but any of you going might want to put that suggestion forward: first Monday of the month closer to the Berks/Bucks/Herts border. Third Monday of the month closer to the Herts/Beds/Cambridge border.

Simon Eassom said:
Oh my God . . . with Wreford down there in St Albans it looks like there's a right posse developing. With new members springing up in Royston, St Neots, Cambridge, and Letchworth; with Steve Currell in St Ives and Eddie in Hitchin maybe we should migrate the BattleAxes meet up towards the Hitchin, Baldock, Stevenage area.
I won't be there at the Battleaxes tonight, but any of you going might want to put that suggestion forward: first Monday of the month closer to the Berks/Bucks/Herts border. Third Monday of the month closer to the Herts/Beds/Cambridge border.

Noooooooooooo. keep it at the Battleaxes - I'll get there one day if I can get out of work at a reasonable hour.

I'm in Edgware so Elstree / Radlett / St. Albans are local.

p.s. isn't it a nice day today - I feel Spring in the air!! (lots and lots of riding to be done)

Richard

If your in Edgware then you can take the nice route to the Battleaxes along Edgwarebury lane through the farm, over the M1 Bridge and pop out by the Edgwarebury Hotel.
Its a puplic right of way with Vehicular Access, and would be nice and easy on the GS.

Simon

cecilthecat said:
Richard

If your in Edgware then you can take the nice route to the Battleaxes along Edgwarebury lane through the farm, over the M1 Bridge and pop out by the Edgwarebury Hotel.
Its a puplic right of way with Vehicular Access, and would be nice and easy on the GS.

Simon

Hey Cecil - How'd you know I live off of Edgwarebury?!!!

Done that route before - the bike gets covered in all sorts of crap and it takes ages to clean it off!!! perhaps when I've had it a bit longer I'll do it more often.

In the meantime I'll stick to the A41.:D :D :D

Simon Eassom said:
OK fair enough.
However we could be here all day persuading people. I propose just do it. Far easier than all this voting malarky that usually goes nowhere. I too won't be there as I'm saving myself for Eynesford.
The thought of doing a country bike trip I find far far more interesting that riding in towards London all be it only as far as Watford.
So to your suggestion Yes to alternative more inspiring venues and No No No to having a debate as someone will always be put out you just can't please all the people all the time. But then recently the Battleaxes does not seem to add up to that many people.

Thanks everyone!

It's great to have such a warm welcome (and I don't even have the GS yet!). I'd love to make it tonight, but I have no idea where to go, or how to get there, and I've only just got home from work (19:30) but I'll definitely be up for the next meet. I'll have the bike by then too.

It seems I've landed myself in quite a hotbed of GS activity - so once the bike arrives I'm very keen to do some rides.

I've virtually no off-road experience (on bikes), and to be honest don't really aspire in that direction, but I do know some good roads around this way which my Ducati mates and I often do in summer - we've nicknamed one route "The Hertfordshire TT", so we can give that a whirl at some point if you're keen.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome and I'm lookng forward to getting those beers in!

Oh, and for the comment about maternity - that's not too far from the truth: I'm here at home pacing away, "will it be a twin-spark, will I get on with the colour - what should I do about the screen - and ohmygod, what do I do if it's born with difficulties, like surging?".

As you can see, I'm taking this whole GS parenting thing very seriously!

Cheers,
Finbarr.

Finbarr,

we noticed that you weren't there tonight, but we went ahead and bought the round anyway.

You owe us £58.50, as we thought you'd want to buy us dinner as well :D :D

Steve.

Fifty Eight Quid!

I didn't realise that GS ownership was going to be so expensive. Of course I'd like to buy you all beer and dinner, but I spent my last brass razoo on getting the bike.

Looks like I'll have to call the dealer back and tell him it's all off...

Pity, really. I was due to take delivery next Tuesday.

Finbarr.

Back
Top Bottom