2018 Tyre issues

dredgetall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2018 GS1200 which I purchased from BMW last June feels weird at lower speed the feeling is like a puncture or the tracking you get in the first lane of the motorway. I replaced the tyres and check the pressure regularly but it still feels weird
It’s been in to Park Lane BMW and they can feel the sensation but it’s normal.
My 2011 GS rides true but the front tyre is not as wide

My 2018 GS1200 which I purchased from BMW last June feels weird at lower speed the feeling is like a puncture or the tracking you get in the first lane of the motorway. I replaced the tyres and check the pressure regularly but it still feels weird
What are the tyres fitted to the bike?

Are the spokes in the wheel tight, no loose ones? Might be worth getting them checked to ensure everything ok with the wheel being true and no tight spots.

Did you replace the tyres with the same?

I've had them before (more than once, though not on a boxer) and not saying they're the problem but Anakee Adventures wouldn't be my first choice to test a bike for running true...

Head bearings would be worth a look at too.

Worth checking just to rule it out! No work required, just check it operates properly with the front wheel off the ground.

Not just 2000 miles - also 5 years under a previous owner under unknown conditions.

What! After 2000 miles

If they were not greased properly at the factory then rust could have crept in, it is a 6 year old machine with very little use so it is something to have a look at.

As Sye said, it's a quick and easy check. Just put the bike on the centre stand and put some weight on the back to get the front wheel off the ground then see if there is any notchy movement or resistance to turning the bars.

If you are alone than a plank of wood under the bash plate and a jack will also lift the front wheel.

Back
Top Bottom